Best Steering Wheel Controller?

sillybuttons

Newcomer
Hello! :)

I've started to really like racing games! I'm the sort of person who buys the $150 flight-sim joysticks, so don't hold back in your suggestion for which steering wheel controller is best.

Here's the trick, though: I want to be able to use it on my PS2, my Xbox, my PC, and the Xbox360 and PS3!

Pretty crazy, huh?

So please recommend one that can work with as many of those as possible, and please try to tell me when you suggest it which of those, at least, it WON'T work with.

Okay, thanks a million! Have a great day, bye ! :)

Though there are ways to get a good controller to work universally across multiple platforms, your easiest solution is to get multiple controllers. If you want force feedback, go with the Microsoft Wireless Force Feedback Wheel. It works on Xbox 360 and PC (with the wireless dongle). Logitech has a lot of USB FF wheels for varying price ranges, and they're cross compatible between PS2, PC, and PS3. I'm happy with my Driving Force Pro, but if you want a clutch and full shiftbox, the G25 is pretty hardcore (and expensive).

Unfortunately there is no wheel controller that works on both machines. I own both the Driving Force Pro (Logitech) and the Microsoft official one. The best wheel is pretty clearly the G25 (also Logitech), but the Driving Force Pro GT (Logitech) or whatever the updated Driving Force Pro with the dials is called is also pretty decent and good value for money.

All the Logitech wheels work very well with just about all games that support a wheel on the PS2, PS3 and PC. The Microsoft one works with the 360 and the PC, but I don't think it works with the original Xbox (not 100% sure though).

There actually is a very good wheel that works on PC/360/PS3. Fanatec makes it and from what I've read it is comparable to the G25.

Their cockpit would go well with the wheel.:)

3272425432_7218be1c8b.jpg

There actually is a very good wheel that works on PC/360/PS3. Fanatec makes it and from what I've read it is comparable to the G25.

Their cockpit would go well with the wheel.:)

3272425432_7218be1c8b.jpg

Hehe, I love their description for this...

Providing an original Race Car seat design (as used in the GTR series), the fiberglass bucket race seat is extra wide for added comfort. The Fanatec RennSport Cockpit itself is constructed in an aluminum roll cage design that provides comforting stability needed during intense races. The adjustable seat, pedal placement, and wheel angle allows each racer to customize their set-up according to their preferences. The right-hand side integrated shifter attachment can be customized for left-handed drivers.

Extra wide for comfort? Or for overweight people? :) Like computer users? ;)

Stability during intense races? Er...

Hell, with the optional keyboard drawer, if this thing had a reclining seat, I'd be really tempted to buy it... Well, until I saw the price tag probably... :p

Regards,
SB

the thrustmaster Universal Challenge 5 in 1 Racing Wheel supports
PlayStation3, PlayStation2, PC, GameCube & Wii

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=93&PlatformID=7

and the Thrustmaster Universal Challenge
Compatible with PS2 / Xbox / GameCube
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=29&PlatformID=7

I have a microsoft sidewinder ff wheel, a logitec momo and a logitec driving force out of them the momo and the sidewinder are pretty close but the sidewinder is no longer made and the momo is no longer for sale on logitec's u.k website but is on the u.s one (that may indicate they are being phased out) so get one quick if you want one..

ps: arwin any chance of a little review of that ms wheel
tnx...

Hehe, I love their description for this...

Extra wide for comfort? Or for overweight people? :) Like computer users? ;)

Stability during intense races? Er...

Hell, with the optional keyboard drawer, if this thing had a reclining seat, I'd be really tempted to buy it... Well, until I saw the price tag probably... :p

Regards,
SB

For years I've considered building one of those types of setups. I guess I just haven't decided whether I want to remain a bachelor for the rest of my life.

For the cross platform deluxe experience porsche 911 turbo S wheel is probably the best solution. The most highend + all extras porsche wheel goes for around 500e.

If xbox360 support wasn't an issue I would go for the logitech g25 or porsche 911 gt3 rs wheel. Those are around 250-350e.

I have the Logitech GT wheel for my PS3 (I haven't tried it on my PC, but I'm tempted) and the MS wheel for my 360. There's no contest--after using the Logitech, the MS feels very disappointing. It's possible that my 360 wheel is just a poor sample, but I find there to be a terrible dead spot in the center of the wheel's steering (like driving a Camry), and the accelerator and brake pedals are highly nonlinear. I can highly recommend the GT wheel, though, it's superb, and the steering feels almost as good as the wheel in my BMW. :)

The G25 or some of the wheels from Fanatec are the best wheels you can buy, however they are considerably pricier. Only some of the wheels from Fanatec are compatible with the PS3, PC AND 360 though. I settled with the Driving Force GT and I absolutely love it. I got it for less than half the price of the G25.

Driving Force GT is probably the best bang for buck at the moment (at least among mainstream wheels). It lacks the G25's clutch and accoutrements, but the FFB tech is essentially the same and the build quality is also a significant upgrade from the DFP.

As long as MS sticks to its proprietary bullshit routine we won't have a quality wheel that works on both platforms.

ps: arwin any chance of a little review of that ms wheel
tnx...

Well, what can I say - it's decent. Not as good as the Logitech wheel overall, but it does its job. It's like a sturdy (bar a bit of wiggle room in a few minor parts) version of a previous generation (e.g. PS2 era - 180 degree, just flippers for gears) Logitech wheel, but wireless (at least partly - you still need a power plug if you want force feedback).

The headset plugin often doesn't seem to work though (mine doesn't either). I also don't like the way the clamping to a desk is done - in general its a good system that's easy to attach, but it combines with a part that was designed for keeping the wheel on your lap, and the result is that the wheel sits really high on your desk.

Back