Movie Reviews 2.0

Rumors have been swirling that Avenges 3 will be a new lineup, and that 4 + 5 will bring Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet into play. I wish they'd stick to the original plan of 3 focusing on Thanos.

They also don't seem to have a sufficient pantheon of 'masked' heroes for Civil War to really work, unless the movie skips the identity and just makes it all about heroes resisting going down to their local DMV and getting a special ID. :/

I think they'll try to milk these poor superheroes for all they're worth. But hey so what, I love them for finally showing the world that superhero movies can be great.

What, is Thor shirtless in it again or what...? :LOL:

I'd bloody expect there to be some bare chest action or my money back.

I mean...
anigif_enhanced-11423-1414038930-1.gif

Frankly, given he's supposed to be The God of Thunder, Chris looks pretty puny there, in comparison to Hugh Jackman in Days of Future Past.

BTW - More footage AoU footage will be released in this weeks Agents of SHEILD and then more next week in a 75 years of Marvel special.

Hemsworth seemed to have more mass in the first Thor, but he's been yo-yoing his weight a bit in the passing years, mostly to be able to get different roles. He's definitely not as bulked in A2, and on the other hand Evans seems to have some really wide shoulders - although the suit definitely helps. I guess everyone thought that the first Thor movie has already made the impression, it's not as important to push him so far. Schedules might have had a role too.

Jackman on the other hand is a lot more serious looking mostly because he's always at very low body fat levels in the X-men movies. Considering that he has to maintain that form for longer periods, compared to bodybuilders who only peak for a single night, it shows a lot of dedication. Could also have to do something with him being almost 10 years older than the Avengers guys ;) Low body fat always looks more dramatic, especially with good lighting, which is why most personal trainers hired by studios prefer to get their actors in good shape instead of bulking them up.
I can't really tell from pictures how he relates to Hemsworth and Evans in mass though - he's about the same height but the camera can be a very tricky thing. It does look like he's more interested in practical strength though, has a very strong torso whereas the other guys are more about the beach muscles.

The interesting thing is just how important it became to get such looks for action heroes. Jackman in the first X-men, or Pitt in Fight Club, look positively thin compared to what's required nowadays. That's a brutal amount of work that these guys are doing - I guess it was 300 that started this trend.
But the most impressive physique so far IMHO is still Henry Cavill in Man of Steel, I wonder if they'll take him further in the new Superman vs Batman movie.

Frankly, given he's supposed to be The God of Thunder, Chris looks pretty puny there, in comparison to Hugh Jackman in Days of Future Past.

BTW - More footage AoU footage will be released in this weeks Agents of SHEILD and then more next week in a 75 years of Marvel special.

Oh go away! What would you know anyway! He's perfect! :yep2:

Very overrated bubblegum film but its got one of the best quotes for a biopic (thank god it wasnt a docomentary) something like 'everytime I race theres a 20% chance I get killed'

zed: yeah naaaaaaah

Hemsworth said during interviews that he told Marvel he'd never bulk again like he did for the first Thor. Said he gained so much muscle in such a short term that he felt sick during most of the production.

My wife is a fan of Mr. Hemsworth and liked the one scene from Rush quite a bit.

Btw, just read that Cumberbatch is just a matter of time before being announced as Doctor Strange. Since I'm not familiar with the character, how do you guys think about it?
Anyway, for the past few month, I've watched..

Lucy. Not a good movie, too many times I thought "why she didn't do this" and I have high tolerance for this kind of thing... But hey, it's ScarJo.

Gotg. Obviously very good.

Hercules (The Rock). So so.

Maze Runner. Kinda nice. Weak cast.

Equalizer. Good. Could be better.

TMNT. Better than I thought considering the reviews. I'm not too attached to the original. It was a fun movie.

Ape. Great.

How to Train your Dragon 2. Not as good as I expected. Maybe the magic wears off?

I think that's it.

Btw, just read that Cumberbatch is just a matter of time before being announced as Doctor Strange. Since I'm not familiar with the character, how do you guys think about it?

I think it vastly superior to Johnny Depp or Joaquin Phoenix. But I also want to see Loki written in as the main villain so Hiddleston and Cumberbatch can act off each other.

Evidently "Phase 3" has just been announced:

• Captain America 3: Civil War on May 6th, 2016

• Doctor Strange on November 4th, 2016

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 5th, 2017

• Thor 3: Ragnarok on July 28th, 2017

• Black Panther on November 3rd, 2017

• Captain Marvel on July 6th, 2018

• Inhumans on November 2nd, 2018

• Avengers: Infinity War Part One in May 2018

• Avengers: Infinity War Part Two in May 2019

Are you serious??
When are DC picking someone to make them as friggin awesome as marvel and pull out some amazing movies?? The difference in vision, planning and execution between the two is shocking.

Awesome, Thanos is my childhood villain !

Are there rumors already on who will play Adam Warlock ?
We see his cocoon in thor 2 and guardian of the galaxy.

Are you serious??
When are DC picking someone to make them as friggin awesome as marvel and pull out some amazing movies?? The difference in vision, planning and execution between the two is shocking.

You missed this: Warner Bros. Is Planning 10 DC Comics Movies, Including Wonder Woman

Well played, Warner Bros. Just when everyone thinks that Robert Downey Jr.’s potential return as Tony Stark is the biggest news of the week—well, if someone can return before they’ve actually left, considering he’s still signed up for the next two Avengers movies—you go and drop the names, dates, and casting announcements for no fewer than 10 movies during a conference call. Well played indeed. Here are the highlights of the week’s superhero movie news.

I don't know if the Marvel announcement was a reaction to the above, or the above was a spoiler for an already planned Marvel announcement, but it looks like DC are going to try and step up to the plate where Marvel have already been making loads of money.

• Captain America 3: Civil War on May 6th, 2016

• Doctor Strange on November 4th, 2016

• Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 5th, 2017

• Thor 3: Ragnarok on July 28th, 2017

• Black Panther on November 3rd, 2017

• Captain Marvel on July 6th, 2018

• Inhumans on November 2nd, 2018

It's hard to break the awesomeness of this down but luckily someone already did it. At least this is a theory on how the movies might connect in the grand scheme of things.

Let's break this Marvel awesomeness down:

Phase 2 will "end" with Ultron and the world reeling. Through various sources, there is a major rift between the Avengers, leading to the creation of a new team under Captain America at the end: Banner loses control and can't be trusted; Thor distrusts Stark and returns to Asgard; Captain America has a falling out with Iron Man over pre-emptive policing (much like The Winter Soldier); etc. This paves the way for Phase 3.

Ant Man is starting to look like an extended Marvel one shot, as there was no announcement of a sequel (even though it's STILL filming, and GotG didn't even get a sequel until it was done being edited…so, grain of salt). The way Feige announced the movies yesterday, it appears that Ant-Man closes out Phase 2. Maybe a callback to the original creation of Ultron that Stark "revives?"

Anyway, on to Phase 3:

Captain America 3: Civil War – Cap is searching for The Winter Soldier, and Iron Man finds out he was responsible for Howard and his mother's death (as revealed by Zola in The Winter Soldier). Cap and Iron Man have words, while a minor character (Hawkeye, maybe Falcon) gets into it with Crossbones, which causes civilian deaths. This leads Stark to back the government's Registration Act, which calls for all "heroes" to be registered and policed. Who is watching the watchmen? Cap finds Bucky, brings him back to normalcy, and together with Falcon and Black Panther's outside input, convince Stark that he was wrong. Meanwhile, Crossbones gets a drop on Cap and the movie ends with him potentially assassinated.

Dr. Strange – This introduces mysticism to the Marvel Universe. Treat this like Guardians of the Galaxy, and only have passive references to the greater post-Avenger world, with direct references to Ultron. It is revealed that Dr. Strange's powers are derived from the Soul Gem, but he does not know it.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2: If the rumors are true, then Hulk might get launched into space at the end of Ultron by someone (Stark? Ultron? Banner? Who knows…). This movie introduces the idea of the Nova Corps rebuilding and answering the question of Star Lord's origins. Drax and Gamora are still after Thanos. Thanos is involved, attempting to retrieve the Power Orb from Quill (He doesn't know the Nova Corps has it…yet). At the end, Quill's dad is revealed, Thanos gets it from the Nova Corps, and during a end-credits scene the Guardians find Banner in a cell in a fighting ring, and agree to bring him back to Earth.

Thor 3: Ragnarok – Thor returns to Asgard, and realizes Loki has been impersonating Odin for some time. While Thor attempts to reveal Loki's betrayal and restore order to the Throne, Ragnarok arrives. Thor, Loki, and the recently saved Odin must fight together to preserve Asgard. However, although it is the first time Ragnarok is avoided in Asgard's history, Thor and Loki "die" leaving Odin reeling, looking for a new heir. Thanos gains possession of the Infinity Gauntlet and the Tesseract (which was in the Vault). Bonus Post credit scene: BETA RAY BILL

Black Panther – Following the events of Ultron and Civil War, T'Chaka decides to end the isolationism of Wakanda and introduces it to the World. Black Panther must deal with newly focused outside influences to preserve the great nation, at his own personal expense. Cameos of Black Widow and Hawkeye helping Black Panther (who does not accept it, initially) are a plus. Maybe the Time Gem is introduced in an end credits scene, which explains the Wakanda Panther God as being a being with access to the Time Gem, and all that it entails.

Avengers 3: Infinity War Part 1 – Thanos has the Gauntlet and Tesseract, but no other stones. He obtains the Aether from the Collector, comes to Earth, and obtains the Staff from Stark (who gets it following Ultron and gives it to the USA), Time Gem (from Wakanda), and Soul Gem (from Strange) completing the trifecta. The Avengers come together, and are absolutely decimated by Thanos. Thanos erects his new palace and throne on Earth. End Credits: Guardians arrive in Earth orbit and realize Thanos beat them; Carol Danvers is injured in the fight, and gets her DNA mixed with a Kree.

Captain Marvel – Following the fight, Carol Danvers travels off world to learn of her powers, and becomes Captain Marvel. Instead of being the successor of Mar-Vell, she finds Mar-Vell who teaches her how to use her powers. End Credit Scene: She returns to Earth and finds the Guardians in a hidden orbit behind the moon, and they decide to work together.

Inhumans – Terrigen Mist is introduced, and many people start to express their abilities. Lockjaw leads a local fight against another faction of Inhumans who want to work with Thanos, and many Inhumans are introduced to the audience. It is confirmed that Skye is an Inhuman, and her father was part of the faction that wants to help Thanos. Thanos knew of the Inhumans all along due to his Deviant heritage. Lockjaw and company prevail, and prepare to confront Thanos.

Avengers 3: Infinity War Part 2 – Thor returns to Earth, as he was not "killed" but banished from Asgard. The original Avengers team up together and bring their friends (Falcon, War Machine, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Pepper Potts (fired up) etc.) and join with the New Avengers (Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther; The Secret Avengers (Agents of SHIELD, Defenders); The Guardians of the Galaxy; and Captain Marvel, for an end all war with Thanos. The Gauntlet is corrupted by someone (Captain? Captain Marvel? Quill?) and Drax gets to Thanos for a final throw down. Drax gets his revenge but is presumed dead. Thor, Stark, and Captain America die. Thanos is defeated (but not killed) and disappears. The New Avengers vow to rebuild and protect not only Earth, but the Galaxy as well.

So far, to me, this is what it looks like is going to happen through Phase 3.

The nerd-o-meter is off the charts!

Lots of story spoilers there, and I only read the opening paragraph. Maybe put spoiler tags on it, especially as one of my posts got edited just for cryptically mentioning the "dog" at the end of Thor 2... :p

Back