Old Nvidia Flowfx (official?) video

Simon82

Newcomer
I'm interested about the old famous FlowFX joke video filmes apparently inside and from Nvidia hq. What did you think about it? Was it really a conclusion to one of the most ridicoulus commercial situation in gaming history? Was they really real Nvidia engineer or not?

Bye

The guys are real. They were just poking back at the community who made all the photoshops at the time. Its pretty obvious thats not how they have product meetings. Actually most conversations like that would occur over blackberries these days :p

Chris

That was a surprisingly good natured response by NV to criticism :)
Shame about the hardware & the poor shmucks who actually bought one...

BTW, mention of VLIW there reminds me: Has anyone actually worked out how we would classify NV30 in modern parlance (ALU:TEX:ROP, SIMD/VLIW etc) rather than what was used at the time 4/8 pipes (8 according to NV marketing, 4 'actual')?

Presumably it was something like: 8 FP16 ALUs that were able to pair up for FP32, 4 TEX & 4 ROPs?
DX7/INT was a separate fixed function section of hardware? (rumor?)

NV30 had 4 dual-tex units (one per pipe, 4 pipes, so 8 tex overall). 8 FP16 ALUs sounds way too high considering it was outperformed by the 4 ALU RV350--surely register pressure wasn't so brutal as to make 8 perform worse than 4 lower-clocked ALUs? Maybe the NV35, which was supposed to double NV30's FP performance, had 8 FP16 ALUs. But I could be wrong.

I knew NV said it was 8 somewhere, if it was 1:2 ALU:TEX that'd make a lot of sense.

So 4:8:4, where does the VLIW come in then?
I seem to remember something about an 'array' of something.

Back