NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the accuracy of this graph:
klvGDJV.jpg

Depend the source for the numbers... can you give the link of where it was posted ?

Depend the source for the numbers... can you give the link of where it was posted ?
I made the graph from aggregated quarterly reports, mainly from Mercury Research with fillers from JPR where Mercury's figures were unavailable.
This is the link to this most recent post where I used the figures.

Most should be verifiable via a quick search. Some of the older figures were collected via Business Week and the WSJ (amongst other publications) for 1995-2003 - most of which I've truncated from this graph since most of the graphics vendors from those years are now defunct/no longer making discrete graphics boards.

The numbers were originally collated for a series of articles that ended up being published at Techspot.
Wasn't AMD a good bit higher than that in the RV770 days?
A quick Google...
40% in Q3 2008 (first full quarter of availability for the 4870/4850)
~34% in Q1 2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Nvidia was selling tons of geforce 8400GS and OEM variants such as the 9300 GE. Or geforce 205. Or even selling the GT218 (don't remember when it launched) as the 8400GS.

You could get the name you wanted :) and there was little functional difference between the products.

More good news for team green as Nvidia's last reported earnings surprised on the upside for the third time in a row. Expectations for the current quarter were also guided higher.

The Santa Clara, California company reported second-quarter revenue of $1.1 billion, up 13 percent from the year-ago quarter as it expanded its focus on cars and cloud-computing.

For the current quarter, Nvidia said it expects revenue of $1.2 billion, plus or minus 2 percent. Analysts on average expected second-quarter revenue of $1.1 billion and third-quarter revenue of $1.16 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

In the second quarter, revenue from Tegra chips for automobiles and mobile devices jumped 200 percent to $159 million.

“They’re doing better than their peers. … The Tegra number was better than expected,” said FBR analyst Chris Rolland.

Even if I agree with his points, it is still a very superficial analysis (apart from the lack of openess in Kepler, but that might be because they prefered to take the GameWorks path..).

Also, kinda related to that blog, http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc5ODA

"[Phoronix] NVIDIA Alerts Nouveau: They're Starting To Sign/Validate GPU Firmware Images"

I'm very surprised that these things weren't signed before: embedded micro controllers are a fantastic way to create major mayhem in a chip. As written in the article: power monitoring, voltage controllers etc.

And, apparently, AMD's controllers have never been accessible, so it's definitely not related in terms of AMD good, Nvidia bad.

Happy times as our friends at industry leading graphics company Nvidia report another great quarter.

Nov 6 (Reuters) - Nvidia on Thursday posted higher fiscal third-quarter revenue that was above Wall Street's expectations, fueled by the company's latest graphics chips for personal computers as well as processors for data centers and cars.

In the third quarter, revenue from Tegra chips for automobiles and mobile devices jumped 51 percent to $168 million.

Nvidia's much larger PC graphics chip business expanded 13 percent to $991 million.

Keep up the good work!

If they don't go ball to the wall with their next SOC I see further growth potential 9which is pretty rare nowadays) as they could address both the market they are already reaching and phones.

If they don't go ball to the wall with their next SOC I see further growth potential 9which is pretty rare nowadays) as they could address both the market they are already reaching and phones.

I doubt it, they already abandoned phones once because Tegra didnt't get traction there

Well, that's one for the books. Nvidia surpassed AMD in revenue for the quarter ($1.25bn vs $1.24bn)

And will do it again next quarter.
AMD: The company forecast revenue to fall 15 percent, plus or minus 3 percent, in the current quarter from the fourth quarter.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-revenue-falls-pc-sales-213700310.html

It is pretty funny that even though Nvidia only makes GPUs and SOCs that their revenue exceeds AMD that makes GPUs and X86 CPUs (for Server, Desktop, Notebook, Consoles).

Keeping in mind that mobile Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M graphics processor is also affected by the same memory and ROP issues as the GeForce GTX 970, expect notebook gamers to slam Nvidia too…
Ok, kitguru is off my reading list. Getting this wrong after so much was written about it is not very "gurui".

Nvidia 76% - AMD 24% - GPU marketshare Q4 2014

JPR found that AIB shipments during the quarter behaved according to past years with regard to seasonality, but the increase was less than the 10-year average. AIB shipments decreased -0.68% from the last quarter (the 10-year average is -3.22%).

Total AIB shipments decreased this quarter to 12.4 million units from last quarter.
AMD’s quarter-to-quarter total desktop AIB unit shipments decreased -16.0% .
Nvidia’s quarter-to-quarter unit shipments increased 5.5% · Nvidia continues to hold a dominant market share position at 76.0% .
Figures for the other suppliers were flat to declining

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-76-amd-24-gpu-marketshare-q4-2014.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back