NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah looks like nobody is going to wait on them in mobile space. Until they get their execution fixed they'll always be struggling here.

What are the chances of AMD licensing NVIDIA's GPUs? I think the discrete GPU market is shrinking rapidly so I wonder if there's need for both the AMD and NVIDIA to invest in designing new chips.

Or why not AMD license out their GPU IP?

However, they did conquer the auto world, apparently. The obvious flaws of Tegra aren't so noticeable in a vehicle.

LOL, Qualcomm would be laughing at how many unit of SmartPhone and Tablets sold per minutes compared to Cars sold with needs of powerful SoC in Months.

LOL, Qualcomm would be laughing at how many unit of SmartPhone and Tablets sold per minutes compared to Cars sold with needs of powerful SoC in Months.
The revenue outlook was very good: $2B over the span of a few years. But er, thanks for your irrelevant quip.

The revenue outlook was very good: $2B over the span of a few years. But er, thanks for your irrelevant quip.

This $2B figure is very respectable, but, err… how should I put this?

NVIDIA's past revenue projections for Tegra have proven to be less than 100% reliable.

What are the chances of AMD licensing NVIDIA's GPUs? I think the discrete GPU market is shrinking rapidly so I wonder if there's need for both the AMD and NVIDIA to invest in designing new chips.
No offense but this has to be the silliest post i have ever read on B3D.

NVIDIA is changing their business model.

Technically NVIDIA is not fundamentally changing their business model for most of the areas that they currently serve (including Tegra/Geforce/Quadro/Tesla/etc.). What they are trying to do is go after business that they would not have otherwise gotten due to lack of flexibility in meeting the needs of large vertically integrated clients. NVIDIA's revenue from selling their own graphics processing units will dwarf their revenue from licensing graphics technology for many years to come.

However, they did conquer the auto world, apparently. The obvious flaws of Tegra aren't so noticeable in a vehicle.

Although have had a few design wins, I wouldn't say they have conquered that market.

TI and Freescale may be ramping down their presence as high-end SoC vendors in consumer electronics, they aren't giving up the automotive market and will continue to provide competition to Nvidia there.

No offense but this has to be the silliest post i have ever read on B3D.

Well, it's not really unheard of that a tech company licenses technology from an another company. Given that AMD is currently somewhat lacking the focus as they are trying to work on multiple fronts (x86 desktops & servers, ARM servers, GPUs), who knows, maybe someday they decide to take the Intel's route and to acquire their GPU technology from an another company and to invest their own research resources somewhere else.

Well, it's not really unheard of that a tech company licenses technology from an another company. Given that AMD is currently somewhat lacking the focus as they are trying to work on multiple fronts (x86 desktops & servers, ARM servers, GPUs), who knows, maybe someday they decide to take the Intel's route and to acquire their GPU technology from an another company and to invest their own research resources somewhere else.

That's about as likely as Seagate licensing HDD IP from Western Digital. Or NVIDIA licensing graphics from AMD, for that matter.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=116466&p=irol-sec
If we are unable to compete in our current or new markets, demand for our products could decrease which could cause our revenue to decline and our financial results to suffer. If and to the extent we offer products in new markets, we may face competition from existing competitors as well as from companies with which we currently do not compete. We expect substantial competition from both Intel Corporation's and Advanced Micro Devices', or AMD's, strategy of selling platform solutions, including integrating a CPU and a GPU on the same chip or same package, as evidenced by AMD's APU product and Intel's CPUs with integrated graphics.

As AMD and Intel continue to pursue platform solutions and integrated CPUs, we may not be able to successfully compete and our business could be negatively impacted. Despite the use of these integrated CPUs, personal computer, or PC, builders and consumers have continued to embrace discrete GPUs to provide higher performance, or the GPU attach rate. If integrated CPUs offer a more compelling value proposition in the future, our GPU attach rate could decrease, which could adversely affect our business and cause our financial results to decline.

So they are pretty much admitting they cannot or will not be able to compete with Intel/AMD in the APU front and since Tegra is hardly getting any traction, they are quickly moving to Plan B.
From all this I get the clear impression that Tegra might be on it's deathbed the final blow delivered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 :LOL:. Who is going to want to license Nvidia GPU IP when such licensee will have to compete with Nvidia itself as they are still producing their own SOCs? It's the same thing Microsoft did to OEMs with Surface. "You can manufacture Surface like tablets but you'll have to pay us for the OS and we'll just come and undercut you by building our own and saving the OS license fee." Remind me how that turned out for Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:

You wouldn't spend money on tech from another company when you already own your own tech that does the same thing.

The only time I've ever seen anything like that is when one competitor buys another just to get the customer base, with no intention of using the tech that came with the bought company.

That's about as likely as Seagate licensing HDD IP from Western Digital. Or NVIDIA licensing graphics from AMD, for that matter.

Heh, HDDs have been so much consolidated there only exist 2.5 companies that make HDDs anymore. And they might as well cross-licence some IP, for instance there's the option of laser heated hard disks (wikipedia tells Seagate is the one that has been working at it) and you can guess that WD and Toshiba will license it else they will have to exit the HDD market.

Semiconductor foundries (AMD, IBM and I don't remember who) and flash makers are forced to cooperate, too. (I'm thinking of Intel and Micron partnership though they backpedaled a bit). AMD and nvidia have at a mininum quite a lot of patent cross-licensing. That said I laughed a little : the idea was funny nonsense.

I would say it's like ARM licensing a PowerPC design from IBM, or something similar.

This $2B figure is very respectable, but, err… how should I put this?

NVIDIA's past revenue projections for Tegra have proven to be less than 100% reliable.
Any way you slice it, it's a big win. It just goes to show Nvidia's marketing strength -- no matter how disadvantaged they are from a performance standpoint, they can still push them into key designs.

It'll be interesting to see how well they do when they actually have a product that isn't outclassed in every way.
Although have had a few design wins, I wouldn't say they have conquered that market.
I was mirroring the rhetoric of the post I was replying to.
TI and Freescale may be ramping down their presence as high-end SoC vendors in consumer electronics, they aren't giving up the automotive market and will continue to provide competition to Nvidia there.
I know that they haven't "won" by any means, but it's an important win for Nvidia. Especially since JHH likes cars so much. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back