NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prolly Steam driver update side effect.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Not really if you look at the DX10/11 stats, AMD's best three cards have a 20.19% share in the DX10 (and higher) capable market. It takes NV's 9 best cards to get 20.88%
And no, this is not due to the survey packing the 5800's together since it's done with NV's series is well, 8800's, 9800's etc.

In that graph the 460 overtook the 480 already and might edge out the 470 next month, but it would still require 17 months of the same growth rate to pass the 5800's.

NV needs to do something to increase sales that doesn't involve rebates.

NV needs to do something to increase sales that doesn't involve rebates.

Funny because the GTX2xx cards increased +0,96% - nearly the same number like Cypress und Juniper together: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

So - which is more realistic - steam is not collecting actual sales figures.

And don't overlook: 4800, 5700 and 5800 only increased 2,22%. All nVidia's cards until the GT220 together have a much better number - +3,5x%.

Funny because the GTX2xx cards increased +0,96% - nearly the same number like Cypress und Juniper together: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

So - which is more realistic - steam is not collecting actual sales figures.

And don't overlook: 4800, 5700 and 5800 only increased 2,22%. All nVidia's cards until the GT220 together have a much better number - +3,5x%.

How are you getting that math? Using the link from neliz I get:

4800 +.72
5700 +.86
5800 +.96
=+2.54%

And every Nvidia card with a positive value added together doesn't get to +3%.

Wouldn't waste much time analysing Steam results on the 1st of any month. The stats page has a tendency to take a bit of time to settle in to the real numbers.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26700

NV finally settles, opens up to bumpgate repair claims.

Extra fingers-in-ears-and-scream-LA-LA-LA-LA part highlighted.

A list of officially affected products (mobile) has also been released:
http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/affectedmodels.html

Well, now my laptop will get fixed :devilish: It was sure nice of 'em to have my laptop die just after 1 year and not notify of the extended 12 mo and then when I found out and notified, and Dell has monitoring on my PC to see last activation, to deny repair.

Alas, but bet all repairs are with just as broken chip... am I right?

Heh, I doubt it. It's only a paltry 15 million. Probably got out way cheap.

They got out cheap on the class action lawsuit sure, since the number of people that may still need help is going to be relatively low. However, they've already spent between 200-400 million on the problem among the various OEMs. I'd imagine the majority of affected people have either already gotten it fixed through their OEMs (which uses part of those funds Nvidia set aside years ago) or just gave up and got a new laptop.

Regards,
SB

Yeah BZB, this isn't Neverland. The bill would've been much higher.

So instead they give a big chunk of money to the OEMs, a big chunk of cash to lawyers, and drag everything out for their customers in the hope many people don't bother and have replaced their machines or paid for their own repairs.

Seems like once again Nvidia put their users at the bottom of the list, and are happy to screw them over. Who cares if end users have had loads of inconvenience and have ended up out of pocket?

Can you imagine if the likes of Toyota had done this same thing with their recent car recalls? Just keep denying the problem, even as they pay out to dealers and lawyers, and then a couple of years later settle with a class action for a small amount of cash because it's cheaper to treat your customers like shit.

Some companies step up and do the right thing when things go wrong, and those are the ones to spend your money with. Not the ones who decide it's cheaper to screw you over than deal with a problem that is their own fault.

So instead they give a big chunk of money to the OEMs, a big chunk of cash to lawyers, and drag everything out for their customers in the hope many people don't bother and have replaced their machines or paid for their own repairs.

Seems like once again Nvidia put their users at the bottom of the list, and are happy to screw them over. Who cares if end users have had loads of inconvenience and have ended up out of pocket?

Can you imagine if the likes of Toyota had done this same thing with their recent car recalls? Just keep denying the problem, even as they pay out to dealers and lawyers, and then a couple of years later settle with a class action for a small amount of cash because it's cheaper to treat your customers like shit.

Some companies step up and do the right thing when things go wrong, and those are the ones to spend your money with. Not the ones who decide it's cheaper to screw you over than deal with a problem that is their own fault.

Cars kill you video cards don't. And did you see what Toyota actually did? They dragged it out, they lied, they congratulated employees on their effective lying to the government. Literally they had a powerpoint expounding how well they saved money by distracting and diverting attention from problems so they did not have to do a recall. Then they paid the maximum fine which is teeny tiny and paltry. Next time you draw such a parallel you should look into the actual facts of the case. Toyota was far worse than Nvidia b/c they were killing folks not making their laptop fail. However Toyota did learn their lesson. After the first recall they have gone recall crazy recalling quickly and easily for any small problem to try and win back consumer confidence.

Hmm, Toyota makes fantastic cars. The accelerator issue seems like a big smear campaign to me. You have any links with proof that the problem was real, and not made up?

Are you suggesting Toyota issued a recall over a smear campaign? And then tried to blame the non-issue on one of their suppliers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–2010_Toyota_vehicle_recalls#NHTSA_investigations

"On July 14, 2010, the Wall Street Journal reported that NHTSA investigations of 75 accidents alleged to sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles had found driver error as the primary cause in all but one case attributed to floor mats.[118][119] Black box recorder data found that during these crashes, the throttle was open and brakes not pressed.[119]"

"Hiroko Tabuchi writing in the New York Times claims that problematic vehicles may have been accurately reported in Japan due to police correctly blaming driver error, as no verified unintended acceleration case exists"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chart_mfr_data_99-00.jpg

I'm just saying the whole thing is blown WAAAAY out of proportion. Definitely a smear against toyota in particular. Not exactly sure why though.... Maybe just media driven?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–2010_Toyota_vehicle_recalls#NHTSA_investigations

"On July 14, 2010, the Wall Street Journal reported that NHTSA investigations of 75 accidents alleged to sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles had found driver error as the primary cause in all but one case attributed to floor mats.[118][119] Black box recorder data found that during these crashes, the throttle was open and brakes not pressed.[119]"

"Hiroko Tabuchi writing in the New York Times claims that problematic vehicles may have been accurately reported in Japan due to police correctly blaming driver error, as no verified unintended acceleration case exists"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chart_mfr_data_99-00.jpg

I'm just saying the whole thing is blown WAAAAY out of proportion. Definitely a smear against toyota in particular. Not exactly sure why though.... Maybe just media driven?
Always the same question - who won most from Toyota-gate?
Had someone noticed how many news relating problems with Japan car companies were aired in last 1-2 years?
And how many related with cars made from so called "big 3" ?
I've read funny comparisons between real problems vs ones which got to 1st pages of newspapers/media.
Even read claims that in certain media there is unofficial agenda "no bad news if the car company is Ford/GM/Crysler"

This thread is already a dumping ground for every bit of and every kind of bad nv news. Can we at least keep the toyota troubles out of this mix?

I remember of a Korean gamer dying after 86 hours of counterstrike, or was it another game, without interruption.
An especially disruptive driver crash, or a video card dying of overheating would have saved his life :)

Being blown out of proportion in no way suggests a problem never existed.

I remember of a Korean gamer dying after 86 hours of counterstrike, or was it another game, without interruption.
An especially disruptive driver crash, or a video card dying of overheating would have saved his life :)

I don't understand how you die from something before becoming incapacitated enough to stop playing. Do you instantly go from playing to dead? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back