Plasma TV as the primary computer monitor

I think you're right that this is the correct image. That's interesting, because Enforcer says he tried the 50PZ700E. How is your PC connected? DVI output to HDMI input?

EDIT:
Edit: Forgot to add this is over HDMI from a G35 board.
Oh, well that's not the issue. Do you have DVI output?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right that this is the correct image. That's interesting, because Enforcer says he tried the 50PZ700E. How is your PC connected? DVI output to HDMI input?

You're right, I forgot the E at the end. It is the TH-50PZ700E I've got. Output is 1920x1080 (noninterlaced) HDMI from onboard Intel G35 via a Denon amp to the HDMI #1 input on the back of the screen. (Please stop mocking me for using an onboard gfx chip, I'm only doing it for the 8 channel PCM. Honest! :))

Don't think so. I just tried this on my European 50PZ700.
And resulting (cropped) output:
dsc0343kc2.png

Now if you take into account camera artifacts and other settings that influence the image (color temp etc) that looks pretty identical to me. At least no downsampling of the chroma channels.
This vertical lines does not prove or disprove correct sampling of the chroma channels. The fact that you can see them has nothing to do with the chroma resolution. We see them because Y (brightness) sampled correctly.

However, they arent red even on this photo.

Just draw horizontal one and see the difference.

This vertical lines does not prove or disprove correct sampling of the chroma channels. The fact that you can see them has nothing to do with the chroma resolution. We see them because Y (brightness) sampled correctly.

They are red. The camera just has poor exposure settings.

He is using HDMI, so it doesn't need conversion if the IGP outputs YCrCb. Your theory still looks correct to me.

Just draw horizontal one and see the difference.

I am beginning to agree with you... There is something weird going on with horizontal vs. vertical lines. And red lines seem to be really powerful compared to the other two colors. I can't really lose any sleep other it tho, since I have to sit almost on top of the screen to even see it. At 2.8m (~9 feet) normal viewing distance the details are just way too small to make out and things look okay. But it is strange.

Guess plasma screen just aren't made as pixel perfect computer displays. As you say it is probably one of the ICs/boards used that are simply designed to work with non-full resolution YUV input, i.e. consumer grade HD video.

Camera artifact. Can always adjust it in photoshop...

Here is a photo of 2 RED lines:

Look at the top of the image : only 1 (red) subpixel should be ON in each row, but 6 are glowing from 4 different pixel (4 red+green+blue).

I would say the result will be pretty bad. Burn-in will be main problem, poor image quality (on panny) will be the second.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm interested in digging up about this issue, can you repeat this test with pure blue (R:0, G:0, B:255) and green (R:0, G:255, B:0) lines? I'm currently using a Panasonic TC-37LZ800 LCD TV as a PC monitor running at 1920x1080 through HDMI and a similar problem arises with colored lines. Horizontal 1-pixel high lines show up just fine whereas red and blue 1-pixel wide vertical lines look blurred.

I don't have a camera right now, so here's a ASCII rendition of how three 1-pixel wide, 4-pixel high colored lines look like when seen very closely (capitalization denotes increased brightness, underscore symbols represent dimmed sub-pixels):

r__r__R__r__r__
r__r__R__r__r__
r__r__R__r__r__
r__r__R__r__r__

______rG_______ <--- not sure about the red sub-pixels, need a magnifying glass to verify
______rG_______
______rG_______
______rG_______

_____b__b__b______
_____b__b__b______
_____b__b__b______
_____b__b__b______

Curious to the power useage plasma vs. a 3008WFP?
As a 24/7 F@H'er, it interests me where it might not another.

You run F@H on a monitor? Thats impressive.... :LOL:

Why would the power draw of a monitor influence you as a F@H'er ?

Back on topic, I've used a Plasma screen as a main monitor for nearly 5 years on one of my computers. OK, its primarily a HTPC, but I soon got used to working from the couch, doing Office based work, Webdev'ing and Photoshopping from the comfort of my couch. It really varies across the different types of screen. I got lucky and mine is very sharp, despite being 5 years old therefore not being a "HD" screen.

I sit 4-9 feet from the screen and its perfectly read- and useable.

I do prefer my dual 30 inchers though. :D

Two GTX280s in one box. A 9800GT in another. Notebook and PS3 all folding.
That's a bit of power usage.

When the monitors are on, it's even more. It's why I asked about a plasma's power usage vs. a LCD.

bump

Can anybody please PM user Enforcer and tell him to check my reply on this thread. My low post count doesn't allow me to do this by myself. Thanks!.

I am toying with this same idea, my only problem is Kuro or the upcoming Panasonic V-series PDPs are 50" and above. I wanted to get a Kuro since it'll be Pioneer last one, but I haven't seen the new 12G V-series yet.

Anyone here uses 50" PDP for their primary desktop? I'll be sitting 80 cm away from it. I've done the same with 40", and with that one it feels like I am on the limit of display size at that distance. My desk is quite deep; I have room to go as far as 1.6 m away from the screen. But my eyes are bad. I can't read small text at that distance. Actually around 90 cm is as far as I can go with small text before it gets blurry. I am also afraid of getting headache from being to close to a large display. I get them sometimes with 40" if I accidentally position myself to close to it.

Mintmaster did you went ahead with the PDP as your primary desktop display?

The Panasonic neoPDPs 12Gs come in sizes under 50" in the S1 and G10 series are available. The only differences between the G10 and V10 seems to be VieraCast, DLNA, Digital Cinema Color, and 96Hz playback for 24p content. Only the last two items may make a difference in the picture quality. Other that that, they use the same panel technology. You might want to look at the G10.

Yes, they do. But I liked the 96Hz 24p playback thing. I need to find out if G10 have it. I looked at the brochure, the V10 looks really nice. Still though the Kuro is my first preference. But the V10 might be an alternative.

I went monitor/display browsing the other day, saw many from Dell 30", Apple Cinema, Samsung, NEC, BenQ even Acer. I came away dissapointed at the progress of LCD. I also saw the 65" Kuro. It looks alright, I was expecting better but it looks alright (better than the LCDs I saw and hence me posting in this topic). The 65" Kuro at about 2-3 feet distance the image looks rough, needed more pixel at that distance. I saw the LG 50" and they have better image resolution just for being smaller at that 2-3 feet distance.

So with 50" Kuro I shouldn't have resolution problem. I get the feeling that my main problem is going to be the height of the display. I might end up tilting my head up and get a sore neck at the end of the day. That is one of my concern. The other is buzzing. I couldn't hear it in the store because they were playing loud music, but I read about 'buzz' problem and I know buzzing will drive me insane.

I also didn't get to see how these plasma handle text. I know on my XBR text looks awful. Anyone care to comment on text at near distance on large PDP.

Unfortunately, the G10 and S1 series use last years 48Hz mode for 24p playback.

Yes, they do. But I liked the 96Hz 24p playback thing. I need to find out if G10 have it. I looked at the brochure, the V10 looks really nice. Still though the Kuro is my first preference. But the V10 might be an alternative.

I went monitor/display browsing the other day, saw many from Dell 30", Apple Cinema, Samsung, NEC, BenQ even Acer. I came away dissapointed at the progress of LCD. I also saw the 65" Kuro. It looks alright, I was expecting better but it looks alright (better than the LCDs I saw and hence me posting in this topic). The 65" Kuro at about 2-3 feet distance the image looks rough, needed more pixel at that distance. I saw the LG 50" and they have better image resolution just for being smaller at that 2-3 feet distance.

So with 50" Kuro I shouldn't have resolution problem. I get the feeling that my main problem is going to be the height of the display. I might end up tilting my head up and get a sore neck at the end of the day. That is one of my concern. The other is buzzing. I couldn't hear it in the store because they were playing loud music, but I read about 'buzz' problem and I know buzzing will drive me insane.

I also didn't get to see how these plasma handle text. I know on my XBR text looks awful. Anyone care to comment on text at near distance on large PDP.

You aren't actually planning on sitting 2-3 feet from a 50" screen to do computing are you?

If so, you'd be far better off with a 30" screen.

Regards,
SB

Well if I go with Plasma that's the plan. Not a good idea huh ?

My desk is large that I can go back as far as 5 feet, the display will be right up against the wall. But I don't know if productivity will be affected at that distance. I am used to the 2-3 feet distance with 17" to 30". Never try to use large display for long desktop session, typically only used projector for presentation and stuff. Hmm that give me an idea. I might try projecting 50" into the wall and see what it will be like working with it.

I have a friend who has a setup like that and to be honest it looks ludicrous lol. It is hilarious when he is checking his email because his whole head is moving to take in the email content from left to right...line by line....Personally a 30 inch is as good as it gets if you are gonna sit that close to the monitor.

Back