Diablo III - It's official

Start a room, kill Mephisto, Diablo, Baal
Just getting to the bosses is more than likely to have taken you that long. Wading through a million trash mobs on the way to Mephisto (unless you're DAMN lucky and stumble upon the stairs first try or play sorceress :p) could take that long... Baal's hidden away pretty good too.

But yeah, it's a bit of an inconvenience. And don't name the game XXX, password XXX and then plop out all your shit right around the stash in the rogue camp. I did that once, of course some other fucker joins the game and starts grabbing my junk, then refuses to return it, even has the audacity to demand I trade him for more of my stuff to get back the bits of MY stuff he stole. Fortunately he only got some crap uniques, I managed to snatch the valuable stuff back up.

Oh well, live and learn eh! :mrgreen:

The official forums are flooded with three topics:

1) RMAH.
2) When's the damn beta arriving?
3) Constant internet connectivity.

I kind of fall in the middle of the arguments. On one hand, sure it's a little silly. Then again, I fail to understand the uproar over constant internet connectivity. Honestly, it's 2011. This complaint maybe would have been valid during the dark ages of 56k. Is it really that big a deal, anymore? Playing D3 alone was one of the things I wasn't looking forward to, in the first place.

1) RMAH.

I kind of fall in the middle of the arguments. On one hand, sure it's a little silly. Then again, I fail to understand the uproar over constant internet connectivity. Honestly, it's 2011. This complaint maybe would have been valid during the dark ages of 56k. Is it really that big a deal, anymore? Playing D3 alone was one of the things I wasn't looking forward to, in the first place.

Fluctuating connections, playing on a laptop when not home, etc.

On one hand, one of the most annoying aspects about playing WoW is every Tuesday, the servers go down for maintenance. Down times can vary from a restart, which usually lasts about 15 minutes, or full maintenance, i.e preparing for an upcoming patch. Duration on those days can vary from 6-8 hours. While I understand completely how obnoxious it is to rely on server status, I'm hoping D3 doesn't follow suit. On the other hand, I imagine it makes Blizzard's job a lot easier when providing new content, like patches and updates. The argument lies in a players taste, whether they prefer to play alone or with friends. Personally, I don't envision myself playing D3 alone, very often, so it works for me.

A friend and I were discussing the RMAH today, and he guesses Blizzard decided to do it to counter farming companies, like with the sale of items from D2 on third party websites. If that's the case, I can certainly understand why they did it. Nothing strikes a bigger nerve with me than some asshole whispering me in WoW or spamming trade for gold sales. I imagine, much like most games, buying items from these websites voids the agreement of the game, which can result in termination of your account, so the ability to pay for items through a secure system in game, could be Blizzard's answer to this problem.

ForceStrategyGaming on Youtube has released a lot of information about D3, including the levels of difficulty, which range from Normal, Hell and Nightmare. When they discussed the application of the followers system, they mentioned they were most useful while playing the game on Normal, and posed little use on Hell and Nightmare. So, perhaps if the option for a RMAH doesn't exist on these levels of difficulty, that alone dispells anyone's concerns.

One thing that I've been wondering is whether or not each class' introduction would be a different experience. For example, Barbarian's starting in Mount Arreat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly this, especially when this game is made with really cheap laptops in mind, even probably netbooks.
BTW i have a friend who's working on a ship and most of a times is on sea/ocean without internet connection - for some people like him such a DRM is horrible, it would be better to have online activation period, for example 2 weeks - still its not a good solution, but definitely better than current one.
Yes he's in minority of potential D3 customer, but Diablo 3 engine is also scaled down for minority.

I dont think that we'll see offline mode fast, because, with cloud saving feature, Blizzard can resist hackers longer and they can change save game files and protocols with updates, which hackers need to reverse engineer every time to find a way to dumping items for example.

Ps. I dont know if there will be 'single player' mode or there will be one mode like closed battlenet in d2, but if game will be making constant synchronization with db for items/char then there wont be lag free mode and people with unstable/poor/slow connection can have really bad experience for a most of a time.

1) RMAH.

Well, my stance is this. I and some friends have a private LAN party once or twice a year. Years ago we were poor students and played alot of illegal games at our private LAN parties, but nowadays we are part of the working force and are quite legal.

5 of us had a bought copy of Starcraft 2, but because there is no internet available, we can't play our legally payed games at a LAN. So, as a legally buying customer I am being punished for things I didn't do. It's the same with movies. The pirated versions give you a better user experience, and that is quite sad.

This always-on stuff has to go away. We need to be treated as customers instead as criminals.

Agreed. I had an unstable connection for quite some time last year, and again this year after switching to another ISP(They were doing city wide maintenance to add support for DOCSIS 3.0 and it took a while for them to get everything back in order). If I had a copy of Diablo 3, or any other game using always on DRM, I'd be fucked. There's no other way to say it.

I won't be buying this game, but I won't pirate it either. I don't want it that bad, and I want it bad.

*sigh* I really wish this bullshit wasn't going on...

I get pissed when my connection drops during BC2 or TF2. But those are multiplayer games so I can only be mad at my ISP. If I got booted from a single player session of Diablo 3 because of connection issues I would have to send Blizzard a bill for the monitor I broke in my fit of rage.

One word: cellphone tethering.

Ok, that was two words.

here's two more words.

Roaming Charges.

<edit> yes there are ways to avoid not being online and it's only a minor inconvenience for most. The problem being for those that only want to play single player, it's completely unnecessary. This is just another example of the PC gaming industry punishing paying customers because of their fears of piracy. Diablo III will still sell well, but it will also still be hacked and pirated. I imagine blizzard will back off some with an offline mode, but if they don't that's $50 saved for me.

On one hand, one of the most annoying aspects about playing WoW is every Tuesday, the servers go down for maintenance. Down times can vary from a restart, which usually lasts about 15 minutes, or full maintenance, i.e preparing for an upcoming patch. Duration on those days can vary from 6-8 hours. While I understand completely how obnoxious it is to rely on server status, I'm hoping D3 doesn't follow suit.
I can see that happening for actual online play, but not for offline.. I would imagine the game merely requires a connection to the server, but you're still actually playing the game locally. For those servers, I imagine there would be little or no downtime ever because there's nothing to update.

This always-on stuff has to go away. We need to be treated as customers instead as criminals.
Exactly. And the only way to stop this kind of behavior is to refuse to pay for it. I think I'm going to have to stop ever paying for a Blizzard game ever again unless they change their tune. Diablo 3 may be cool, but there are a lot of cool games out there, very few of which treat me like a criminal.

I can see that happening for actual online play, but not for offline.. I would imagine the game merely requires a connection to the server, but you're still actually playing the game locally. For those servers, I imagine there would be little or no downtime ever because there's nothing to update.

I'd imagine since there are real cash involved now, at least item management (what loot you got from a dead monster) would have to be done on the server instead of locally. Even how you kill a monster would have to be managed on the server (otherwise a cheater will just repeated claiming that he killed a monster and request the server for loot). Therefore, it's probably quite similar to a MMORPG style server.

The obvious downside of this is, it costs money to maintain servers like this, and since AFAIK Diablo 3 will not be a subscription based game they need some forms of a revenue stream. Come to think about this, real cash auction house could be the answer as they will take a cut from every transaction and that has the potential to be a significant source of revenue.

The obvious downside of this is, it costs money to maintain servers like this, and since AFAIK Diablo 3 will not be a subscription based game they need some forms of a revenue stream.
Its not expensive, its rather similar to Browser Based MMOs than real MMO server, its just db synchronizations from time to time and instanced servers allow for p2p connections between players.
Guild Wars 1 has done it on greater scale and Guild Wars 2 shows that even subscription for real MMO is a 'scam'.

Currency Based AH was made just for pure profit reason and its really amazing business decision, they'll earn tons of money from it.

This sums up the outcry over online D3

i-bMtwfTg-L.jpg

Yeah he does, as always the comic is an expression of the amusing factor of their articles. The comic itself probably applies to 90% of the pitchfork wielding mob (pulling a number out my ass)

Back