UBI talks Far Cry 2 engine

I wonder why in this article they made the following statement.

"We were somewhat worried by some of the reported high complexity of developing for the PS3", reveals Tech Director Dominic Guay, "but the raw processing power is impressive".

Reading the entire article makes it seem like they was not a need for additional programmers. Now, it seems the Kotaku article is saying something different. Oh well...

Can it really be that simple to port from the PC to 360 though?

150 people on PC side, then 3 people to port to 360? Really?

This is not unusual for Ubisoft. Last generation it was the Gamecube that had like 2 people doing the versions of Prince of Persia and Beyond Good & Evil. And those versions turned out good a lot of people actually prefered them even to the Xbox versions which was a bit strange...
I think the Xbox-division had a few extra people, or they were shared with the PC-version, because it used slightly different models and some new shaders and stuff like that, and then there was the Splinter Cell team starting on Xbox not to mention all the development-incest and tech-sharing going around all those projects :D

All in all, I think Ubisoft knows what they're doing. They're not always making perfect games but when it comes to team management and such they seem to be pretty ace.

The engine is looking great on the console too! I didn't think they would accomplish this....lets wait and see what the ps3 version looks like!

Um, slightly off topic, but does the PS3 use directx? I know it's video card is basically the same as PC video cards, but directx itself is a product of Microsoft, so would it be safe to assume that the PS3 doesn't use directx? That might also explain why it's harder to port. That and the Cell is a pain in the ass to work with.

It does not use DirectX. DX is a software interface layer, a language for speaking to GPU's. Developers can write to console hardware in the hardware's native language without needing the overhead of an interim language like DirectX or OpenGL.

Yes, roughly speaking. It uses a customized flavour of DX. The CPU architecture is also similar to PC multicore. That's why ports from PC to XB360 are generally straightforward (although you'd be getting suboptimal XB360 performance). PS3 is really centred on being designed for, from the ground up, making cross-platform titles a bit of a pig. No worse than PS2 really, but PS3 doesn't have a 5:1 ascendency!

The DirectX vs. PSGL/libGCM issues are the least of your problems when porting from PC to PS3, frankly.

Far Cry 2 Map Maker Article and Videos

We've put up quite a few previews of the game, but not until recently did we really get to experience the full game world, as before we were either seeing or playing sections specifically constructed for the demo. It's still not finished, but we still got a good sense of what playing the final game might be like. And, as a bonus, we got to see the map editor for the first time, which anyone who played Instincts on Xbox should remember fondly. With Far Cry 2, the map editor's functionality has been expanded and from what we saw, it looks as though the editor should provide players with plenty of opportunity to create a wide range of maps pretty easily on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

No sound and it runs painfully on my laptop.:cry: Have you seen this new video?

IMO, it's the best Far Cry 2 video I've seen to date. Love the atmosphere (the first seconds are awesome), the realism, nature sounds..., how the silhouette of the vegetation flows with the wind or when the player goes through it.

Those gun jams look really intense :Dand amazingly original (hope gun jamming is different for every gun)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/256452.html

I have yet to respond to any comments in the Console Forum thread regarding Dunia and I'll try to do that whenever I get time and feel like it -probably Monday, I guess-

Cheers

Finally a FC2 video with a solid framerate and with some interesting gameplay to boot. Graphically this is stunning. Hopefully the gameplay and MP (with map editor) forms a solid package.

No sound and it runs painfully on my laptop.:cry: Have you seen this new video?

IMO, it's the best Far Cry 2 video I've seen to date. Love the atmosphere (the first seconds are awesome), the realism, nature sounds..., how the silhouette of the vegetation flows with the wind or when the player goes through it.

Those gun jams look really intense :Dand amazingly original (hope gun jamming is different for every gun)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/256452.html

I have yet to respond to any comments in the Console Forum thread regarding Dunia and I'll try to do that whenever I get time and feel like it -probably Monday, I guess-

Cheers
I've some problems lately with gamersyde vids. They seems to be facing some minors issues. Anyway when the streaming doesn't stop (it happened to me) it's smooth and quality is quiet good. There is no sound in all their vids from the GC.
But I agree it looks really good and smooth, I'm pretty impressed.

Back