Firmware 2.41 available... *

the update process is a lot better now too. it goes through the user agreement first, downloads, installs, then restarts by itself. and as mentioned above, you have the option to shutdown automatically before you download/install.

i heard theres a new platinum trophy icon, and others say the icons in the in-game xmb mode load a little faster.

Oooh wow, Tversity 1.0 RC 1 is finally here:
http://tversity.com/tversity-10-rc1-is-here/

Hopefully it works well with the improved 2.4 codecs.

I have not tried it yet. The UI is completely revamped. Note that this version includes a web surfing toolbar with ask.com (Ouch).

I tried it for a few days but just switched back to 0.9.11.04. There seems to be a hang up with the library refresh so it never stops. Tversity will not work while refreshing so you have restart the server during each refresh to actually use it. When it starts refreshing at midnight it's still going when I check it at 7AM. The support forums are getting hammered by spammers so I just moved back to the old build and will wait for a newer version.

On the other hand, flash adverts can commonly drag Firefox to a crawl on my PC. Eurogamer suffers frequently, and GameTrailers becomes unusable if some ads are up, requiring me to reload the page to get a different advcert that's not so destructive.

Adblock Plus. Makes surfing so much quicker, and no annoying adverts!!!

the update process is a lot better now too. it goes through the user agreement first, downloads, installs, then restarts by itself. and as mentioned above, you have the option to shutdown automatically before you download/install.

i heard theres a new platinum trophy icon, and others say the icons in the in-game xmb mode load a little faster.

It seems it`s only a partial download now ? It started right at 40% for me. Installation takes as long as ever though.

I tried it for a few days but just switched back to 0.9.11.04. There seems to be a hang up with the library refresh so it never stops. Tversity will not work while refreshing so you have restart the server during each refresh to actually use it. When it starts refreshing at midnight it's still going when I check it at 7AM. The support forums are getting hammered by spammers so I just moved back to the old build and will wait for a newer version.

Gah ! I'll skip this version then. Thanks for letting us know.

On the other hand, flash adverts can commonly drag Firefox to a crawl on my PC. Eurogamer suffers frequently, and GameTrailers becomes unusable if some ads are up, requiring me to reload the page to get a different advcert that's not so destructive.

how old is your pc? I'm just curious, i haven't really experienced flash heavy sites to even put a dent in performance. Maybe firefox is just terrible with flash? (It can be pretty terrible if you put in enough addons for performance)

how old is your pc? I'm just curious, i haven't really experienced flash heavy sites to even put a dent in performance. Maybe firefox is just terrible with flash? (It can be pretty terrible if you put in enough addons for performance)

I have noticed the same thing that Shifty has. The PC I notice it the most is only a couple of years old. Specs are decent - Core2 Quad Q6600, 4 gigs of ram, 2x8800gts in SLI, SATA 10000 RPM hard drive - nothing really to write home about, but it allows me to play most games still. An example of a site would be the new Diablo 3 site from Blizzard. In Firefox it slows my computer to a crawl - even if it is the only thing open. I have a feeling it has something to do with Vista, AVG, and Firefox fighting over who gets to do what with the flash files first. I don't have any addons for Firefox installed so I don't think it can be that. It only happens on some of the newer flash sites so it is probably something dealing with flash.

For now, I've always just closed Firefox and used IE when visiting these sites. I'd love it if there were other solutions though. I am curious now as to what would happen if I tried to open these sites on my PS3. I generally avoid anything that slows my PCs performance when I am browsing from the PS3 - so have never really checked.

I am seeing it on a Quad Core a Dual Core and a Obteron..

Guess i need to find a flashblocker again...

When loading some big pages (after some browsing) in the past the PS3 just freezed.

Yesterday for the first time in the middle of loading a page on the standard.be (and freezing happens allot when viewing this site) I got the standard "there isn't enough memory".

While its a shame that some pages can't be loaded, its a improvement that it doens't freeze anymore.

This is through a PC as a network server though, which isn't quite as exciting as the initial presentation suggests. The real system here is Google Media Server and it's interface with PS3. Presumably XB360 can do the same? Edit : Actually are MS going to support a third-party media server?!

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/06/media-server-from-google.html

Google Desktop's blog mentions PlayStation 3 as an example of UPnP-enabled device. Google Media Server's team says that "the only way to connect the XBox 360 to a UPnP server, was to have a service that is only found on Microsoft services (used for registering for DRM content) and for the server itself to be claimed to be made by Microsoft. Legal would not allow us to pretend to be Microsoft (although there are other servers out there that do)."

EDIT: Read through the user comments in the above link. It seems that Google Media Server also suffers from the same problem as Tversity on Vista:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1186418&postcount=292 (e.g., UAC incompatibility).

I installed the Google media server and it won't find a single file on my PC. The Youtube videos get choppy half way through so I have to copy them to the HDD to watch them in their entirety.

The Burnout Cagney update is available now which adds trophy support amongst other things so I will finally get to see what all the fuss is about.

Didn't really "dig" achievements on the 360 (if I got an achievement I got it, I would spent hours trying) so I doubt I'll be that impressed with trophies either.

The Burnout Cagney update is available now which adds trophy support amongst other things so I will finally get to see what all the fuss is about.

Didn't really "dig" achievements on the 360 (if I got an achievement I got it, I would spent hours trying) so I doubt I'll be that impressed with trophies either.

Cagney does not add Trophies, IIRC. Trophies will be in a later update.

Back