Firmware 2.41 available... *

I have to say I'm quite happy with the new FW. There's always room for improvement, but it's a big step forward. Also, it seems to be quite clear that the initial press impressions have had some misconceptions, for instance concerning the auto-pause, which (as DeanA pointed out) since it follows the guidelines for pausing or not pausing the game while bringing up the earlier Home in-game menu (that allowed controller reassignment, quitting the game, turning off the system, etc.) are being followed with in-game XMB. It's a testament to how much people are using the 360 as a reference I guess. ;) ). So even with existing games, that already makes it as refined as anything out there, with the game continuing to run in game menus and multiplayer games, and pausing in single player games.

Other than that, now I finally could play a round of Buzz, lose, and while in game, look up the people I just played, send a message congratulating the winner (and look at his profile and trophies), and receive a message back 'I love this game'. All while in the back Buzz runs a commercial for one of the extension theme packs in the main menu in the background. It looks very slick and is a big step up (time to recharge my Bluetooth keyboard). However of course audio (and video) chat support should be nice also. There's already a great interface for it in XMB now, all they need to do is provide developers with a library to support it.

All in all though, very happy.

The XMB becomes slighly less smooth in-game, but nothing I want to complain about.

The in-game XMB consolidates the PS3 experiences better now because the "PS" button has become more consistent and functional: We can jump from one app to the next rather seamlessly.

I think what most people don't realize yet is that the codecs have improved too. There are reports that MP4 videos that skipped in older firmwares now play smoothly on 2.4.

Some DLNA servers (like TwonkyMediaServer) are supposed to make that possible with the PS3, but you need the additional box acting as an intermediary.

Oh...I had no idea Twonky supported that. I'm using Twonky with the PS3, I guess I'll have to try that out.

The usual firmware stealth enhancements continue...
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=29238

...another hidden upgrade has been found and that is the ability to play Flash games in the Playstation 3’s web browser. Some people have reported that you could do that before 2.4 came out, but it seems now that a lot more people can play Flash games with their PS3’s with firmware 2.4 installed.

A user has emailed in saying that he can now play Flash games in the PS3’s browser and has been playing Sonic at the following site: http://www.sonicgamesflash.com/ultimate-flash-sonic-game.html (watch out for pop ups though).

EDIT:
Some DLNA servers (like TwonkyMediaServer) are supposed to make that possible with the PS3, but you need the additional box acting as an intermediary.

I remember Tversity supports Internet radio (and Internet video) as well.

Incidentally, someone is trying to create a PS3 Internet video service here: http://www.ps3movies.tv.
It is at beta 0.6.1 and very flakey. I was only able to watch it twice after about 5 attempts (May need to refresh the page if nothing shows up).

The latest PS3 Flash player is still based on Flash 7. So only a small subset of Flash content will work.

Adobe has not updated their SDK to support Flash 8 and above. As a result, non-Windows Flash players do/will not have the latest features. e.g., The Wii Opera browser and other phone Flash players only support Flash 7 also. Even the Mac OS X Flash player does not play all Flash content these days.

(Sony may update the Flash player just to make sure their own or their partners' Flash-enabled websites play well on PS3)

I don't need to play flash games on the PS3 browser.

In fact, haven't fired that up since checking it out a couple of times when I first got the PS3.

What would make the browser more useful is if you can download or upload game saves directly to/from it.

A lot of sites uses Flash video (e.g., GameTrailers, Crackle and Viddler -- on the Official PS Blog). Would be nice if they can get it to work.

I agree we should have a convenient and consistent way to share game saves, mods and personal media on PS3. The web browser seems like a natural choice. If they want to develop a specialized client for it, I am fine too.

A lot of sites uses Flash video (e.g., GameTrailers, Crackle and Viddler -- on the Official PS Blog). Would be nice if they can get it to work.
On the other hand, flash adverts can commonly drag Firefox to a crawl on my PC. Eurogamer suffers frequently, and GameTrailers becomes unusable if some ads are up, requiring me to reload the page to get a different advcert that's not so destructive.

I remember Tversity supports Internet radio (and Internet video) as well.

Oooh wow, Tversity 1.0 RC 1 is finally here:
http://tversity.com/tversity-10-rc1-is-here/

Hopefully it works well with the improved 2.4 codecs.

We will post full release notes shortly, in the meantime in case you missed it, this release is all about user interface and usability, but it also includes many bug fixes and other minor and major improvements to the transcoding engine, media library, auto discovery by devices, and much more.

In order to simplify some of the initial configuration needed to get TVersity up and running for the first time, we are including in this release a configuration wizard that can do most of these tasks for you. This includes firewall setup, service auto-start setup, Vista setup issues and more.

With regard to Windows Vista, we currently require UAC to be turned off or else TVersity will abort the installation. If you do decide to disable UAC or already have it disabled, the installation will work as usual. However on Vista only, the configuration wizard will recommend disabling the Windows SSDP Discovery service, you want to know why? It turns out that this service conflicts with TVersity and essentially hides TVersity form other devices on your network. In case you are curious it does not do it only to TVersity but rather our research suggests that any software stack that has its own SSDP implementation (as opposed to using the built in Windows stack) is affected by it. It did not happen on XP, but it does happen on Vista.

The codec pack has been updated as well, for best transcoding results it is recommended to install it. Our transcoding engine can now for the first time download FLV and MP4 videos, convert them and stream them to devices all at the same time. We have had this capability for a while with WMV streams but other formats needed to be pre-downloaded - not anymore!

I have not tried it yet. The UI is completely revamped. Note that this version includes a web surfing toolbar with ask.com (Ouch).

Sorry all about of topic.

I see posts before talking about something like 47MB XDRAM (in firm 2.35) use,annyone know how
much space (or have any idea) firmware 2.40 are useing ?

(in 2.35 i see some little improvement in textures in games like Oblivion..walls etc)

Would having more memory available make any difference without an update from the game maker?

I would assume not, but what do I know. Only way must be if the engines where made to grab as much mem as they could, depending on certain rules. But I do not see how the assets could change in anyway, unless a better version was stored on the BD and then it got reduced in quality someway before being used.... how feasible that is, I do not know.

2.4.1 to be available soon

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/07/ps3-system-software-update-v241/

As many of you know, we released PS3 firmware update v2.40 last week, but had to take it offline temporarily because, for a limited number of users, the XMB wouldn’t display after the update was installed. We’ve been able to fix the problem, and I’m happy to report that firmware update v2.41 will be released shortly.

EDIT:
It's available now. Downloading...

Back