Are Mega-PSUs truly necessary? [From GT200 Thread]

Arun,

Can you remove all the PSU posts and put them in a different thread? Thanks

(Once you do that, you're welcome to delete my present post)

Man, for a while it felt like I wasn't reading B3D anymore, but some lesser site. Please guys, get out, take a deep breathe, and stop the useless online bickering!

http://xkcd.com/386/

It's not theoretical, dude.

You're basically talking about a subject without proper education on said subject.

NP .. it is your opinion; i have nVidia on my side

Feel free to run TRi-SLI day-in-and day-out on 500w; i think you shold actually attempt it! Then you might not talk so much theory or trash to those of us who are really experienced.

i am talking about TRI-SLi and a beefy O/C'd Quad-Core CPU to match; along with the usual plethora of Optical drives and RAIDed HDs; not a cheap minimal system like mine
--and *my own* HD2900xt CrossFire - stock clocks - will shut down a decent 700w PS under load

so i am talking *pragmatic* - i also run tests
- perhaps you just like to live on the edge with your PC

i like to do that only in really Big Waves with a good chance of survival; and i am not going to advise others what i think is foolish to do myself[period!]

Last edited by a moderator:
NP

Feel free to run it day-in-and day out

i am talking TRI-SLi and a beefy Quad-Core CPU to match; along with the usual plethora of Optical drives and RAIDed HDs; not a cheap minimal system like mine

and *my* HD2900xt CrossFire - stock clocks - will shut down a decent 700w PS under load

so i am talking *pragmatic* - i also run tests
- perhaps you just like to live on the edge with your PC

i like to do that only in really Big Waves with a good chance of surval; and i am not going to advise others what i think is foolish[period]

and I see you still have not clicked the links. they are from VERY reputable sites, and are not theoretical numbers in the least.

So, basically, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not going to continue a discussion with someone who doesn't even click the links and debate against them. Good day.

and I see you still have not clicked the links. they are from VERY reputable sites, and are not theoretical numbers in the least.

So, basically, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not going to continue a discussion with someone who doesn't even click the links and debate against them. Good day.

i know .. i am experienced and do not care to explain the links to you; you figure it out

You need to realize what you said about me, is exactly how i feel about your lack of practical experience and i do not care to educate you. i post for others and my opinion.

my opinion based on practical experience
--Backed by nVidia .. argue with them, please

Aloha

It's not a technical question but one of marketing. That's the entire point of this debate, which those on "your side" seem not to grasp yet.

I am in no side. I have not participated in this discussion in particular(about psu too big or not too big on watts, etc)

Overall wattage rating is derived from a combination of peak sustainable amperage delivery on *several* voltage rails. The +12V rail being the most important of these, with +/- rails for both 3.3V and 5V being present as well.

The problem here is that PSU manufacturers tend to spec their cheap units with more power on the 3.3V and 5V rails than is necessary, and not nearly enough on the +12V. This is why graphics card manufacturers are forced to recommend end-users purchase PSUs that may be huge overkill for their system configuration and usage scenarios.

Nothing new here.

I think everyone here knows cheap PSUs are rated in an unethical way.

It would have been clearer if you said something like : "More power on the relevant rails" in the post I quoted.

I am in no side. I have not participated in this discussion in particular(about psu too big or not too big on watts, etc)

hence the quotation marks around "your side"

Nothing new here.

Sure it's not new to the majority of informed enthusiasts, but some here still apparently do not understand this simple principle.

I think everyone here knows cheap PSUs are rated in an unethical way.

If that were the case this thread wouldn't exist.

It would have been clearer if you said something like : "More power on the relevant rails" in the post I quoted.

The "relevant rail(s)" are only the +12V so the obvious choice is to say as much.

Well I dont want to run up my electricity costs for no reason lol.

That is SO silly

a 1,000 w PS does not use more power than a 500w PS .. if that is all your PC draws
- i call the "extra" - "insurance"

some of you like to like dangerously; i prefer to risk my life when i am in that mood, not my PC =P

That is SO silly

a 1,000 w PS does not use more power than a 500w PS .. if that is all your PC draws
- i call the "extra" - "insurance"

some of you like to like dangerously; i prefer to risk my life when i am in that mood, not my PC =P
Most PSUs have highest efficiency at 80% Load, so for the same draw you`re burning more energy from the outlet with a beefier PSU.

PS. The components are rated for a reason - you can calculate max powerdraw if you`d like and round upwards. What risks does a matched PSU add?

Most PSUs have highest efficiency at 80% Load, so for the same draw you`re burning more energy from the outlet with a beefier PSU.

PS. The components are rated for a reason - you can calculate max powerdraw if you`d like and round upwards. What risks does a matched PSU add?
technically you are correct of course, but that doesn't overlook my own anal need for "insurance" - i also have a 1500va dual BP UPS that is clearly overkill - and i even have my LCDs on separate UPSes

a "matched" PS is cool - that is what Dell does .. and it is great until you upgrade to something that has a higher power draw =P

again .. insurance is worth it *for me*
- you live dangerously .. you go guy!!

I understand that a successor to a G80 is long overdue but imo that thread only shows triple SLI (and triple or quad GPU in general) is a big waste. please be slightly more eco-friendly and wait for the next-generation bad ass GPU!

I understand that a successor to a G80 is long overdue but imo that thread only shows triple SLI (and triple or quad GPU in general) is a big waste. please be slightly more eco-friendly and wait for the next-generation bad ass GPU!

Sure .. i *expect* to buy a single GT200 "ultra"

then i fully expect to SLi it =P

i drive a little car and i will be setting up my home with alternative power sources
- a little 'gaming' is my vice

cut me a little friggin' slack under-powered PS user and SUV driver !

Now, you see, if I look here
at the measured efficiencies the general trend is for the efficiency to peak at around 50% load. Not 80%.
Ok, can we agree that efficienty typically takes a dive at <50% and getting worse the lower you go? http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/spi250pe/psu-matching.jpg
apoppin said:
technically you are correct of course, but that doesn't overlook my own anal need for "insurance" - i also have a 1500va dual BP UPS that is clearly overkill - and i even have my LCDs on separate UPSes

a "matched" PS is cool - that is what Dell does .. and it is great until you upgrade to something that has a higher power draw =P

again .. insurance is worth it *for me*
- you live dangerously .. you go guy!!
You mean *risk* as if Im suddenly putting 4 SLI`d GPUs and a 8-Core CPU in my PC... and expecting it to work with my 300W PSU?
Wow, I never thought I`d do that when I built my system. You are right, I also started padding my walls in case I suddenly feel like running my head against them and I ordered a shrink so I dont caugh myself unprepared should I suddenly struggle myself.

If I do a major upgrade Ill buy a new PSU, for everything else my cuirrent will suffice - and Im certain I will still save money in the end.

Now if you consider other kinds of risks... like parts of your system getting damaged and starting smoldering.. Then I gotta say your better of with a PSU that will shutoff/burn a fuse when the powerdraw increases 100W over your PC-specs instead of silently providing up to 600W additionaly.

Ok, can we agree that efficienty typically takes a dive at <50% and getting worse the lower you go? http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/spi250pe/psu-matching.jpg
You mean *risk* as if Im suddenly putting 4 SLI`d GPUs and a 8-Core CPU in my PC... and expecting it to work with my 300W PSU?
Wow, I never thought I`d do that when I built my system. You are right, I also started padding my walls in case I suddenly feel like running my head against them and I ordered a shrink so I dont caugh myself unprepared should I suddenly struggle myself.

If I do a major upgrade Ill buy a new PSU, for everything else my cuirrent will suffice - and Im certain I will still save money in the end.

Now if you consider other kinds of risks... like parts of your system getting damaged and starting smoldering.. Then I gotta say your better of with a PSU that will shutoff/burn a fuse when the powerdraw increases 100W over your PC-specs instead of silently providing up to 600W additionaly.

i think there is something to be said for insanity
- clearly it works for some of us an i am "alternate" in almost everything
- it is MY opinion and i can support it as well as you can

i DID do a major upgrade last year and i spent about $150 after [big] MiR for my 850w OCZ; not expensive compared to the rest of my rig. Even my UPS is bang for buck; i got my 850w/1500va dual battery pack UPS from Fry's for $120 shipped; its only deficiency is it's sine wave is 'stepped' and the square wave is approximated. My OCZ is fine realistically to 750w without ripple and it is *perfect* for 2900xt Crossfire. A Single 2900xt WILL out draw even a GTX Ultra at maximum.

i have 2 baby dragons inside my case and that is WHY i got a 850w PS

My next system will be "set up for" Quad-Ultra SLi or for 4870x4 [2x4870x2]

i just want to have an "overkill" PS .. what is it really costing me?

My GPUs will be well over $1000; my CPU will be $500 and you want me to be a cheapass and "save $100" on what i consider a marginal PS?
:rolleyes:

i think you might want a padded room just for your own frustration if you do for yourself what you are suggesting for me! And please see Dr Phil; he can save you real money in the long run

EDIT: As to "protection", some jerk sent me an 8800GTX with a defective peltier that nearly took out my PS and the rest of my system the instant i turned it on; if my PS was NOT top notch, i would have a melted MB and some other ruined components

Last edited by a moderator:
Back