DOOM 4 is coming. Repent while you can (also 60Hz)

The announcement is only that Doom 4 is beginning production. That it will use id Tech 5 and/or be 60 Hz is speculation on Shacknews' part.

I loved Doom3's slow gameplay!

I played at night in a dark room with a big screen and headphones. awesome!

Hmm, maybe it's more suitable for consoles than PC then.

I played D3 on PC and loved it. Of course, not playing it until I had the horsepower to run it with EVERYTHING cranked probably enhanced the experience. Sure, it was really repetitive, a bit slow, and perhaps even a bit derivative but it was still an altogether enjoyable experience, especially the first time through. Not knowing when or where the next monster was going to spawn kept me on the edge of my seat throughout most of the game.

I wonder if 60 fps Doom 4 means less dynamic lighting than Doom 3. :|
Anyway, third one was pretty boring in terms of gameplay, big disappointment for the guys who made the genre.

You can get full graphics for Doom 3 on a GeForce 6600 (maybe w/o all the AA options) or a Radeon 9800. If you haven't seen Condemned 2 in action on the PS3 or 360, check it out, the lighting/shadowing is as good (if not better than Doom 3) but the polygonal models and the textures are much much much MUCH better. FEAR on 360 had as good lighting as Doom 3 as well.

I liked Doom3 for the scares and the darkness."Either flashlight or gun" gameplay element was what made it really scary. Story???Well, there was no damn story in it and the end was the most dissappointing abrupt end ever. It just ended, no explanations, no conclusions, just ended! :(

Quit ragging on Doom 3. It's a perfectly good game noir, much in the same vein as Condemned. Up close and personal combat with the chainsaw or shotgun, what's not to love?

Yeah, the labs are repetitive, but the Hell level at the time had the best level design of any shooter to that date (in terms of atmosphere).

Cheers

And the train crashing was cool too ! the pinky demon is cool!drives me backwards......:)
When i saw those Souls flying upwards in hell, I just stared at that for quite some time !:cool:

Ah.......the memories!

but the end was very sudden and meaningless.:oops:

Yeah Doom 3 was a good game. It was a very, very good game if you limit your assessment to what it was trying to achieve (basically be an old scholl shooter that scared the hell out of you).

Doom 3 was probably the scariest game I ever played (again, at night, lights off, surround sound up). I even enjoyed the expansion as well and that was less than a year ago.

I definatly have pause over D4 though. A simultaneous launch with the consoles + all this talk of 60hz on the consoles and cross platform parity with the Rage engine.

Sounds like the PC version could be highly gimped.

well, aside from adding more polygons to the IMP's hexagonal head, i can see the megatexture play a big part here. there're too much grey in Doom3 and i like to see more texture variations. i hope we get softshadows this time and not the hard edged ink black stencil shadows. all said i have faith in Carmack, and i WILL get Doom4 since i thoroughly enjoyed Doom3.

I got through about the first level of Doom and was bored to tears. I can't bring myself to pick it back up. I suppose it's "old-school," but more in the sense of one of the many, many crushingly mediocre rip-offs of Quake (which IMO had very dull SP to begin with) than the original Doom. Unless they bring back engaging level design and fast-paced action, you can count me out for Doom 4.

I got through about the first level of Doom and was bored to tears. I can't bring myself to pick it back up. I suppose it's "old-school," but more in the sense of one of the many, many crushingly mediocre rip-offs of Quake (which IMO had very dull SP to begin with) than the original Doom. Unless they bring back engaging level design and fast-paced action, you can count me out for Doom 4.

Isnt it a bit harsh to judge a game with 32 levels on just the first one?

id folks made a good choice when they decided to go the horror route with Doom 3, it fits the environment and the mood of the franchise quite fine. What they completely missed was that they only relied on shock and surprise to scare you. Well, we can mention the audio logs email things à la System Shock, but these were hardly worth reading and hardly related to the horror side of the story.

See, the thing is, I played doom3 for an hour or two and just didn't feel that at all. You start learning to walk backwards half the time if you catch on to the pattern :| which totally wrecks the experience.

That and the flashlight OR gun gameplay was total crap and further destroyed what could've been a fun experience for me. Game felt more like Resident Evil: DOOM to me than anything else.

I get more consistently terrified playing the original DOOM on Ultra-Violence than I did in two hours of DOOM3. You hear a growl and rather than turn around and see the monster (or two) that made the noise right behind you (or don't because you can't see a bloody thing half the time without that flashlight...) - you turn around and see nothing. Where are they? I love that kind of suspense way more, that and the knowledge that around that corner, behind that door, heck even on a trip sensor under that key, there's a HUGE FREAKING PILE OF MONSTERS waiting to try to rip you up at any moment. Sometimes it even just sorta happens while you're running around... and this while you're incredibly strained on ammo and wondering when you'll be forced to break out that brass knuckle again. X_X

If DOOM4 actually brings back that 'fear-for-your-life' sense rather than doom3's 'surprise! lol be skurred' style I'll look forward to it, otherwise id can shove it. >_>

Doom3 was scary ! I used to play it at night with all lights out. I can tell you one thing, I was afraid to turn the next corner.The knees would go tight when killing a monster.....it was the only game which could do that to me. I used to think every night,"Should I play it?"" It would be tense"but I was compelled to play. not many games can do that.

Doom3 was scary ! I used to play it at night with all lights out. I can tell you one thing, I was afraid to turn the next corner.The knees would go tight when killing a monster.....it was the only game which could do that to me. I used to think every night,"Should I play it?"" It would be tense"but I was compelled to play. not many games can do that.

Had no problem wit that game, except the monster baby cries. Now FEAR on the other hand, that one slapped me twice.

For as simplistic and repetitive as Doom 3 was, damned if I didnt finish the whole thing and buy the expansion. I dont know if its nostalgia or what, but i just cant seem to get enough of the formula. That and I still think Carmack has some revolutionary technology in his head, it may not be this engine but im always optimistic that what hes working on is 'the next big thing'.

Back