Halo 3 IQ discussion * - Stay civil and polite folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD Capture cards dont lie, this is exactly what the 360 is sending to an output device. Brightness settings are all locked with the capture card I have, its not an issue for any other game.

Your captures pretty much look like what I see on my 42" 1080P LCD (via VGA) from about 5' away. Of course if we all used composite cables we could get free AA :D

It looks better in motion, but for still pictures dot50cal's screens seem quite accurate to me, somehow the lighting just doesn't come to alive in those stills.

It looks better in motion, but for still pictures dot50cal's screens seem quite accurate to me, somehow the lighting just doesn't come to alive in those stills.

+1

What's the internal brightness setting of your game man?

It looks exactly like that on my PC monitor (19" LCD Samsung) and seeming it in motion doesn't help much..

If anything the way those pixels and jaggies crawl all over the screen it actuality makes it look worse on occasion..

+1

What's the internal brightness setting of your game man?

I have it set to the default brightness, I haven't adjusted anything. Some of the shots have environmental effects going on, Like the scarab blowing up which bathes the area in bright light. That might be what you are seeing. Otherwise I dont see any issue with the brightness that people keep bringing up.

I'll have a short 1280x720 video of some combat with the Flood up soon. X264 decoder is required ( http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm - or VLC Media Player)

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/b3d/Flood.mp4

Save Target As!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very likely since it's calibrated.

Also, when you look at the pics in the... err... pics thread you'll see what I mean.

The difference is quite big IMHO.

The pics thread is full of heavily AA'd bullshots rendered at extreme resolutions, downscaled and filtered like crap..

These are raw frame buffer grabs and unless you can take some shots of the game running on your own setup to prove there's an issue with dot5Cal's brightness levels in his pics (since they look exactly the same as what i'm seeing on my setup at home..) then i'd be hard pressed to imagine such differences are either imaginary or related to your HDTV inherently doing something funny with it's input..

Again: what these captures show on your monitor is what the game would look like there - on your monitor in front of you. Your TV would probably be quite different, as monitors give a much sharper and cleaner image, especially LCDs. Looking at the images on your computer is not indicative of how the game looks on a HDTV.

Also, there still is this Dash setting too (not sure what it's called, but that color correction stuff they added with the last update)...

Again: what these captures show on your monitor is what the game would look like there - on your monitor in front of you. Your TV would probably be quite different, as monitors give a much sharper and cleaner image, especially LCDs. Looking at the images on your computer is not indicative of how the game looks on a HDTV.

"Cleaner & sharper" being more indicative of a truer representation of the image..

Also cleaner and sharper doesn't particularly relate to how "bright" the image is or should be..

The pics thread is full of heavily AA'd bullshots rendered at extreme resolutions, downscaled and filtered like crap..

These are raw frame buffer grabs and unless you can take some shots of the game running on your own setup to prove there's an issue with dot5Cal's brightness levels in his pics (since they look exactly the same as what i'm seeing on my setup at home..) then i'd be hard pressed to imagine such differences are either imaginary or related to your HDTV inherently doing something funny with it's input..

At the end of the day the only thing that matter is how any games look on YOUR display, not someone else's.

Hooking up my 360 to my 50 inch plasma and my dell 2405 LCD produce 2 very different pictures.

At the end of the day the only thing that matter is how any games look on YOUR display, not someone else's.

Hooking up my 360 to my 50 inch plasma and my dell 2405 LCD produce 2 very different pictures.

This I can agree with! used to have my 360 hooked up to a hp 23" LCD (1920x1200) but recently bought a 50" samsung plasma (1366x768), and my 360 games look far better on the samsung.

This I can agree with! used to have my 360 hooked up to a hp 23" LCD (1920x1200) but recently bought a 50" samsung plasma (1366x768), and my 360 games look far better on the samsung.
Doesn't it just show, eh, the video processing engine in your TV is not so hi-fi, or your LCD is not good at response speed? Recent TV models have "game mode" which simply turns off a video processor in TV.

Great looking video!

Btw, I thought the PV3 couldn't capture 720p..?

Thank you :) It can do 480i , 480p , 720p , 1080i, and 1080p (at 960x1080)

For those having issues with the video, as I said earlier you need an x264 decoder installed. Quicktime will not open the file.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm - or VLC Media Player which will play it natively. If you already have these installed, update it and it should fix all issues.

Also, there still is this Dash setting too (not sure what it's called, but that color correction stuff they added with the last update)...
I havent touched anything like that, this is my first time playing 360 in a very long time. If you are seeing a difference in brightness or color it is your computer monitor vs your television setup. Here are some 480p Wii shots, theres no brightness or color issues, these are raw captures. Try putting the images on your 360 via your network.

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/480p.rar

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't it just show, eh, the video processing engine in your TV is not so hi-fi, or your LCD is not good at response speed? Recent TV models have "game mode" which simply turns off a video processor in TV.

Don't quite know what your getting at, but the tv is this one http://www.samsung.com/no/products/tv/plasmatv/ps_42q97hd.asp and it has a "Game Mode"

The LCD may not be the best in the world, but it's not the worst either.

Don't quite see what the video processing engine or response speed have to do with my impression of the game looking better on the plasma tv compared to the lcd..

* and yes I do know that response time/speed and the video processing engine (of any display device) do matter in regards to the quality of the image displayed, but that does not matter(in this case), because this is just my subjective opinion.

PS:sorry for double post.

Played some more last night in 3 player coop, i think it was the flood area, I believe the mission name was 'it followed me home' or something like that. Anyways, again it looks like I'm seeing something totally different from what others are seeing here. The lighting was fantastic to me, somewhat better than the first jungle level, and the game looked awesome.

This thread has made me so glad I went with a good plasma, it was worth every penny. I'm definitely avoiding LCD tv tech for the foreseeable future. If you have a friend that has a nice plasma, you should definitely go see some next gen games on their tv to see what you're missing.

No display technology is going to compensate for the low rendering resolution, lack of any AA, and crappy texture filtering; and those factors combine to make Halo 3's image fidelity inarguably lower than much of the 360's library. The lighting is quite nice for the most part though, with only a few sections looking rough, I don't see anyone here claiming otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back