Heavenly Sword: Part Deux

Nah his performance is the best. I love his character - amazing characterisation. And the best lines! (Apart from the sacred genitals of course). Is he a famous actor? He's pretty huge in the theatre world - and in the movie world. Ever heard of Octopussy, or A Clockwork Orange? :oops:

After his comments at the end of the first boss-fight, I had a feeling he was being set-up for a completely different kind of role than he ended up with playing (which was much more cliché). Because it didn't play out that way I was kind of disappointed and that colored my opinion of him a little. He's still a very good character, but I really thought for a second he had more depth.

Yeah what was that sacred genitals thing? I thought I didn't hear it correctly.

What is this game rated at?

This one ?

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/13535

[gv]13535[/gv]

It looks great on larger screen.
Yeah that one
Anything in cutscenes is exactly the same as those in real-time - they just recorded them. There are loads of real-time cutscenes, and they don't lack in any way. Even the recorded cutscenes have the flickery shadows :p He looks like that when you're fighting him as well :p

He's my favorite character as well - I mean how can you go wrong with Stephan Berkoff? He is a legend, way beyond Andy Serkis.
They did an exceptional job thats for sure :D
There are a few bits that are pure CG, where there would have been too much time spent developing a one off thing. But its very few no more than half a dozens scenes IIRC.

The captured stuff is framebuffer saved out and then movie generated. No touching up but cos its a series of framebuffer dumps it doesn't have any frame rate issues. But saying that they AFAIK all run at a fairly good rate when we previewed/worked on, our cutscene team would run them real-time, to perfect timing, camera angles etc.
Is the video above real time? Captured real time? Or CGI?

Is the video above real time? Captured real time? Or CGI?

I'm fairly certain that the "Generals Scene" that link points too, is all captured real time. That particular scene, cos of its length and complexity is actually several scenes stitched together and I know at least 5 (and I think there are only 5 but not 100% sure) of the sub-scenes were done in-engine.

Nah his performance is the best. I love his character - amazing characterisation. And the best lines! (Apart from the sacred genitals of course). Is he a famous actor? He's pretty huge in the theatre world - and in the movie world. Ever heard of Octopussy, or A Clockwork Orange? :oops:

On Kubricks Clockwork Orange?!
I really have to see that movie again... it's been like 7-8 years from the last time and Kubrick is one of my favorite directors along with David Lynch...
I cannot remember him, was he one of McDowells crew?

anyone beat hell mode yet? i can't beat the first part of chapter 5 where you use the cannon to blast the catapults... they always destroy the wall before i can destroy the last one.

help? :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone beat hell mode yet? i can't beat the first part of chapter 5 where you use the cannon to blast the catapults... they always destroy the wall before i can destroy the last one.

help? :???:

try hitting those burning barrels before they reach the castle wall, also destroy catapults before they get too close

I have completed hell mode with all 129 glyphs ;)

yeah, someone told me that in another messageboard and it was quite easy... i spent way too much time on that level. on Normal mode, you can beat it without shooting the barrels and reading GameFaqs, the users who made the FAQ for HS said to ignore the barrels. :rolleyes: i guess thats for Normal mode only.

i don't think i could get all the glyphs on hell mode... maybe Normal mode... thats probably what i'm going to do next. after beating the game on Hell, i have 100/129 and on Normal i have 109/129 without redoing any of the levels.

i REALLY like this game btw. :D

+1 Sell through

So I'm just going to put on my gamer-hat for a minute (is that anything like a meat-hat?) and say that I thought Heavenly Sword was totally cool.

It looked great for sure - I can't really add too much to what's already been said . A couple of effects really stood out for me too -- the waterfalls looked top-notch and the wings on the end-boss were very well done.

The play was fun - I was definitely thinking "God of War with a girl" for a while, but then the game brought in enough new stuff to distinguish itself. The aftertouch system works well - The arrow-shooting sequences were my favorite parts of the game. The biggest gameplay gripe I have is that the hit-and-run strategy pretty much works everywhere - but that's probably not true in hell-mode (which I haven't played). And that's not a big complaint, it was still fun enough to keep playing. (Don't get me wrong - this and button-mashing are my two main gamer skills/tactics.)

I'm wondering about the choice to stop gameplay and go to the chapter-select menu between chapters though. That seemed oddly oddtastic.

All the extras packed in are cool - but I'm left wanting more developer commentary!

Definitely an A.

Mike.

PS: I bought it retail.

I just went few times wtf. wow. Purchased second hand copy of heavenly sword. A definate must buy, much better than what the reviews and demo let's one expect.

I went wow the first time in the beginning and now I'm totally psyched about defeating Whiptail. It's brilliant playing a game that looks and sounds this amazing. Maybe the game mechanics lack in some sense(motion sensing feels awkward to me) but the total experience of playing this title is just like being inside well done hollywood movie. Oh and the ctut scenes, my jaws are still on the floor.

The attention to detail is just nothing short of amazing. Damn, I'm going to be sleepy tomorrow at work. Must - continue - playing. I think perhaps all the hype damaged this title and all the expectations led to worse reviews than this game deserves. It's brilliant experience, a must for every ps3 owner to play at least once through(especially with 34e I paid for its a steal)

I just went few times wtf. wow. Purchased second hand copy of heavenly sword. A definate must buy, much better than what the reviews and demo let's one expect.

I went wow the first time in the beginning and now I'm totally psyched about defeating Whiptail. It's brilliant playing a game that looks and sounds this amazing. Maybe the game mechanics lack in some sense(motion sensing feels awkward to me) but the total experience of playing this title is just like being inside well done hollywood movie. Oh and the ctut scenes, my jaws are still on the floor.

The attention to detail is just nothing short of amazing. Damn, I'm going to be sleepy tomorrow at work. Must - continue - playing. I think perhaps all the hype damaged this title and all the expectations led to worse reviews than this game deserves. It's brilliant experience, a must for every ps3 owner to play at least once through(especially with 34e I paid for its a steal)

Yes, Heavenly Sword is one of my most sacred game so far.

The in-game visuals and cutscenes are exquisite. While AC exceeds it in terms of scope... HS still excel both AC and Uncharted in overall presentation (Uncharted has really good and stable shadow though)

As for the gameplay, it has no slacks and backtracking... just a varied, exceptional and engaging experience throughout. Short compared to epic adventures, but definitely a unique and unforgettable experience.

As for the gameplay, it has no slacks and backtracking... just a varied, exceptional and engaging experience throughout.

I much prefer this tighter gameplay and no unnecessary run here and there to make the game longer artificially.

Lol, and the animation system is nice, just shot an arrow to bad guys ass. Damn, that's nicely animated, I can feel the pain. Very nice sound effect when the arrows fly near enemies head. All these little things must have been loads of work to make it all come together.

I definately will play this game again if not only for the localised cutscenes =) Hah, german for the villains is as funny as ever... Seems that dubbing is surprisingly good(trying finnish now).

Took ~8hours to play the whole game through. Wow what a ride, I feel pretty empty now. That was some seriously good game with nice and engaging plot. The bad guys are really memorable. One made me feel really sad for him, another one really angry and everything in between. I wonder if I'm the only one that actually took some hints of the flying fox being sadistic pervert that likes little children... Damn, he was some seriously twisted character.

Heavenly sword definately has been the best game for me this year(so far). I hear the combat system is even deeper when played in hellish mode. I definately need to play again. A definate must have and must play title. It's short but there is absolutely no repetition, pure dynamite from start to end. Me likes a lot.

Back