Blu-ray has 70% of 1st qtr sales?

http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluraysales042007.htm

I had no idea Blu-ray was this far ahead.

Personally I'm not going to upgrade until next year sometime, but if this continues there many only be one choice.

I don't think there is anything to gain from touting early "winners" and "losers" considering that sales for HD-DVD and Blu-ray are both in the tens and hundreds of thousands, when standard DVDs are in the millions.

I'm not particularly enamored with any solution at this point as they're both too expensive, don't have multi-disc changers for an affordable price yet, and don't have full industry support.

Hybrid players are a nice stop gap, but ridiculous in the face of what should have been a united front. And lastly, high def dvd's don't offer all of the benefits that DVD offered over VHS.

1) Shelf space savings
2) Perfect picture and audio clarity no matter how many times a movie is played
3) DVD extras

High def dvd's only offer more space. Until the media companies decide on one format, most people, myself included, will have no incentive to support one over the other.

Oh wow would this be the first time one of Sony's proprietary ventures wins?

Hmm, well maybe that's because it's not proprietary? In other words, I don't know if one can consider BR proprietary when it has so many other companies who are invested in the technology.

Heck, supposedly Panasonic/Mats actually owns more patents and stands to get a bigger cut of the monies - which if true, would mean that people are incorrect in stating that "BR is a Sony thang".

Way too early in this battle to declare a winner. Currently DVD pwns both of these beyond belief. I wonder if VHS would give these two formats a run for their money?

It will be a few years until the price of the units drop and we see much larger volumes before anybody can be declared a winner. The market always determines this and the market hasnt had a chance to say due to such low volumes.

Hmm, well maybe that's because it's not proprietary? In other words, I don't know if one can consider BR proprietary when it has so many other companies who are invested in the technology.

Heck, supposedly Panasonic/Mats actually owns more patents and stands to get a bigger cut of the monies - which if true, would mean that people are incorrect in stating that "BR is a Sony thang".
Well people considering it a "Sony thang":)roll:) is for a good reason. Sony is at the forefront of pushing Blu-ray so they obviously feel they have a large enough stake in it to put their whole company behind it.

Well people considering it a "Sony thang":)roll:) is for a good reason. Sony is at the forefront of pushing Blu-ray so they obviously feel they have a large enough stake in it to put their whole company behind it.

Don't get me wrong, we can all recognize that Sony is heavily marketing it, yet at the same time, we should also realize that there are other companies that could make even more money from it.

Nonetheless, BR is hardly proprietary or is as proprietary as the CD.

is this including the ps3 bundle discs? they skewed the February numbers as well, so far the BD was outselling HD 2 to 1.
HD-DVD drives are outselling BlueRay drives at something like 5 to 1 so any outselling done on a disc level has nothing to do with one format being "busted"

numbers over in the uk have BD at 60% against HD. so saying that BD has 70% of all HD content disc sales is like writing an open solicitation letter to the inq.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bundled discs are not part of the figures at all.

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but the UK has and probably always will be "Sony" country. Blu-Ray is ahead whenever I've checked.

Quoting from there: "Blu-ray, though, continues to hold the lead in market share, taking about 60% of all hi-def sales in the first week in May."

And this is not about the UK, is it? I've had to order Planet Earth from Amazon.com, as it's not out in Europe? Or is it? I couldn't find it in any European stores, online or off. Searching Amazon.co.uk only turns up NTSC (even if the BluRay version isn't actually region protected, it's a stupid copy of the DVD text - I should know because i have the BluRay edition and ordered it from amazon.com)

Stick a fork in HD-DVD, it's done.
I honestly don't get comments like this.

Given the advantage in players out there - even accounting for less than stellar PS3 sales, Bly-ray should really be outselling HD-DVD by more than they are at this point in time. Overall the advantage is pretty negligible since the market for high definition discs is still minute compared to DVD.

Sony might have hoped for the PS3 to be a round 2 knockout punch, but this hasn't happened. This will be decided by the kind of customers who are not early adopters and have not weighed the pros and cons of the competing formats. Standalones are a 20 million units a year market in the US, and the main battle is still to be fought by 'competing' with good old DVD.

Slightly off topic, but:
I couldn't find it in any European stores, online or off. Searching Amazon.co.uk only turns up NTSC (even if the BluRay version isn't actually region protected, it's a stupid copy of the DVD text - I should know because i have the BluRay edition and ordered it from amazon.com)
Aren't both HD releases the US 'Discovery' edition, narrated by Sigorney Weaver rather than Sir Richard Attenborough? For anyone fond of the BBC nature/documentaries that's a good enough reason to wait for a 'proper' European HD release or stick to the PAL DVDs for now...

Slightly off topic, but:

Aren't both HD releases the US 'Discovery' edition, narrated by Sigorney Weaver rather than Sir Richard Attenborough? For anyone fond of the BBC nature/documentaries that's a good enough reason to wait for a 'proper' European HD release or stick to the PAL DVDs for now...

Default for the version I got was Richard Attenborough, so no problems there. I think Sigourney was only for the broadcast in the U.S., and not on the DVD/HD DVD/BluRay releases.

Back