The Official RV630/RV610 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, software VC-1 decoding is a lot less demanding of CPU resources than than software h.264 decoding. But I agree it's an odd omission. HTPC users who employ a passively cooled RV630 or RV610 card will probably be able to scale back their CPU speed to the point where that can be passively cooled as well. Combine that with a fanless PSU and some quiet 120mm case fans and damped hard-drive mountings, and you should have an impressively low noise-floor.

That's what I'm hoping for and that's exactly the setup I have for my HTPC/File server/p2p machine/part time LAN gaming machine.

Everything is passively cooled with a single 120mm case fan providing some airflow in the case. It'd be nice if I could go fanless as even with a 20 db fan (Scythe S-Flex), I can hear it from across the room if I'm not watching a movie or listening to music. I'm considering sticking their 8.7 db fan in there but not sure it'll provide enough case airflow to keep everything relatively cool while running torrents. One of the drawbacks of living in an area with absolutely no ambient noise other than the occasional bird and the bubbling stream outside the house. :)

I downclock and downvolt the CPU when I don't have company over for LAN gaming.

I almost bought a passively cooled 8600 after reviews due to it's impressive Video Decode of mpeg 2 and h.264. However, VC-1 is a concern as this machine will in the future also be expected to play either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Right now VC-1 decode and HDMI with audio are the two big selling points for HD 2600 XT compared to the 8600. However, if it doesn't live up to expectations, I'm not sure what I'll be doing with regards to the HTPC.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
GECUBE HD2000 series Gemini dual GPU series: Following the success of the X1650XT Gemini 2 dual CPU graphics card, GECUBE Taiwan, which specializes in dual GPU design, is now introducing the latest HD2000 series DX10 dual GPU graphic card to satisfy the most demanding power users. The GECUBE HD2000 series DX10 dual GPU series and its phenomenal capabilities is set to be premiered during Computex Taipei 2007. This is an event that you must attend if you would like to experience ultimate performance.

Exclusive GECUBE HD2600XT GDDR4: Built-in GDDR4 enables this mid-class graphics card to offer high-end performance and unbelievable value. Equipped with GECUBE¡¦s indigenous 2nd generation X-Turbo 2 silent fan technology, HD2600XT GDDR4 utilizes a silent turbine-type fan and dual heat pipes to achieve amazing heat dissipation and efficiency. HD2600XT GDDR4 combines low noise levels, low operation temperature and a sleek, contemporary styling that will attract admiration from the world over.

GECUBE AGP 8X HD2000 Series: GECUBE strives to achieve a new high in the APG 8X platform. Introduced ahead of the competition, GECUBE¡¦s next generation 2000 series will also be available in AGP 8X platform to enable the DX10¡¦s surreal graphic performance on an APG 8X platform. GECUBE offers a comprehensive line up of products ranging from low to high end of the spectrum to satisfy the widest range of customers.

Gecube press release

image_b_s.jpg

Link

I find the "best" buy card Powercolor 2400XT 64bit gddr3 version.... :rolleyes:

Fudzy now projects availability mid-July. I for one am inclined to believe him on this one, considering he has correctly predicted other delays so far.

Heh, the UVD performance must be pretty good since 2400 is missing off the decoder chart. Gaming perfromance doesn't look too great though.

Yeah the UVD performance must be really good if they didn't even bother to include it in the tests. Even with the performance graphs you have to wonder what drivers they're testing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back