The Official G84/G86 Rumours & Speculation Thread

One curious thing is how NV decided to codename the 8600 GT/GTS parts as "G84", when the previous mainstream GPU's always ended in "3" (NV43, G73).

One curious thing is how NV decided to codename the 8600 GT/GTS parts as "G84", when the previous mainstream GPU's always ended in "3" (NV43, G73).

I think that was probably more of a coincidence (even if it was intentional) than an indication of a standard naming convention. FX 5200 was NV34, FX 5600 was NV31, and FX 5700 was NV36.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4899

We learned that the upcoming GeForce 8600 series based on G84 core has 32 stream processors while GeForce 8500/8400/8300 series based on G86 core has 16 stream processors. G84 contains 289M transistors while G86 contains 210M transistors, both on 80nm TSMC process. 8600 GTS is clocked at 675MHz core, 2GHz GDDR3 memories and 1.45GHz for the shaders. 8600 GT is clocked at 540MHz core, 1.4GHz GDDR3 memories and 1.15-1.18GHz for the shaders. 8500 GT is clocked at 450MHz core, 800MHz GDDR2 memories and 900MHz for shaders. G84 and G86 feature BSP engine and a new video processor, a dedicated hardware and circuitry for high definition video decoding while G80 series including the upcoming 8800 Ultra has no BSP engine and features an older video processor. Although there is no separate clocks for 2D/3D but there is an internal thermal throttling circuitry when the core runs too hot.

BSP engine? and a new video engine? This could be nVIDIA counter to ATI's new integrated video processor.

The part about the G80 and even the upcoming 8800 Ultra not having these "BSP" and video processors pretty much seals it about the Ultra being little more than an overclocked 8800 GTX.
I was expecting more for a 1000 dollar card...

Yeap, this 8800 ultra will be based off the G80 core. Its going bit OT but i guess this card could potentially carry 1.5gb of ram (highely likely), OCed past current 8800GTXs (so thats over 650Mhz), have a higher shader clock, and maybe use GDDR4 memory.

I bet, there will be people buying not one, but two of these for gaining the bigget e-penis title. :LOL:

Hmm, is it me or this feels like history repeating itself.

7800GTX 512mb.. (A G70 on steroids, double the frame buffer, fastest GDDR3 at that time etc)

deja vu?

I hope you meant that 8800 Ultra will highly unlikely have 1.5GB of high-speed GDDR4. I'm not sure why people think memory size is a strong selling point in the high-end where consumers are more informed. If it's slower than AMD's 1GB offering, raising the BOM without increasing performance is one of the stupider things they could do. They do have to be competitive in performance and price after all.

I hope you meant that 8800 Ultra will highly unlikely have 1.5GB of high-speed GDDR4. I'm not sure why people think memory size is a strong selling point in the high-end where consumers are more informed. If it's slower than AMD's 1GB offering, raising the BOM without increasing performance is one of the stupider things they could do. They do have to be competitive in performance and price after all.

Keep in mind that even with 1.5GB, they would still use just 12 chips (64 x 6 channels = 384bit).
R600 needs 16, whether it's the 512MB or the 1GB version (64 x 8 channels = 512bit).

Granted, i don't know much about the current GDDR3/GDDR4 memory market bulk prices for IHV's (and it does fluctuate a lot, as we know), but it could be another factor to consider before talking about the BOM of each card.

Does that mean that the B3D G84/6 article will actually appear on launch day? :oops: :p

Hmmm Asus is bundling Stalker with it - that should up the demand a bit.

Guy over at [H] ran a 3dmark01 multi-texturing bench and came up with ~ 8200MT/s which points to 12TMU's @ 700Mhz (the guy's core clock).

So 3 clusters, 48 shaders? G84 is 4 clusters, one disabled for the GTS?

why have a disabled cluster on a midrange GPU?

IIRC, there was a similar subject a while back on the NV43, but it turned out to have insufficient transistors to back the claims.
Maybe it was Unwinder who first talked about it ? Can't remember exactly.

If true, we might even get to see the so called bridge product between the 8600 GTS and the 8800 GTS 320MB that was discussed earlier, but for now let's just get them out with this "miracle driver" of theirs, and see what they can actually do first in GT/GTS mode. ;)

Back