Call Of Duty 3 - Reviews

Kirizo seems to be a serious site, they rank geow 9/10 for graphic and give cod3 a 10.
So cod 3 supposely looks better than geow.
It should be a surprise i guess.
and a bad one if cod 3 looks better on ps3...

Kirizo seems to be a serious site, they rank geow 9/10 for graphic and give cod3 a 10.
So cod 3 supposely looks better than geow.
It should be a surprise i guess.
and a bad one if cod 3 looks better on ps3...

It's a good site. They also like their framerates, so that could have something to do with it...

the single player in CoD3 looks effin' RIDICULOUS. It's THAT good. The lighting, the textures combined with the number of things going on at once is A-MAZING. :oops:

MP looks good too but seriously the graphics in SP should leave you impressed on an HDTV.

again... screenies and Internet vids do no justice to this gen.

the single player in CoD3 looks effin' RIDICULOUS. It's THAT good. The lighting, the textures combined with the number of things going on at once is A-MAZING. :oops:

MP looks good too but seriously the graphics in SP should leave you impressed on an HDTV.

again... screenies and Internet vids do no justice to this gen.

How well does the fps hold up?

thanks tap in, so cod3 is a major achievemenet for the dev team Treyarch and for activision.
I'm badly gasing....

In regards to perspective it isn't a "first person" game.

Yet the basic mechanics remain FPS (First Person Shooter) though. Of course it has adapted the advantages of behind the shoulder (or in this case, 3rd person) to allow more interaction in the environment, like taking cover, but when moving around and aiming (when not under cover) it responds just like an FPS.

No, it really doesn't, and if you try to play that way you will die a very quick and painful death.

The whole game revolves around exploiting cover and not being out in the open moving around. Try circle strafing in this game and some Locust is just going to sit behind his rock and snipe you. And it doesn't play like ANY FPS I've ever played. Not even GRAW or Rainbow Six have GOW style gameplay.

Maybe you should spend a little time actually playing it before you go prentending to know what the gameplay is all about.

I believe the PS3 version is only at 30FPS.

Nah, this is just an old rumor brought in by one site, and afaik they judged it on an old build and "thought it ran at 30".

The only official information regarding technical differences which is available is this:

The main difference between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 versions will be an improved lighting system in the latter. The Cell processor's abilities should allow multiple lights and shadows placed one upon another, so that the final effect should be one of the most realistic ever seen in a next-gen game so far. Unfortunately, no additional work will be done on the character animations or level detail; that will stay the same as the Xbox 360 version.

Reactions: one
Nah, this is just an old rumor brought in by one site, and afaik they judged it on an old build and "thought it ran at 30".

The only official information regarding technical differences which is available is this:

The main difference between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 versions will be an improved lighting system in the latter. The Cell processor's abilities should allow multiple lights and shadows placed one upon another, so that the final effect should be one of the most realistic ever seen in a next-gen game so far. Unfortunately, no additional work will be done on the character animations or level detail; that will stay the same as the Xbox 360 version.

It doesnt seem as if that ever came to pass for the PS3 or it isnt noticeable. In the latest 1up podcast they had seen both and agreed that the 360 version looked at least as good as the PS3 and some felt the 360 one looked better. They dont make note of how 'final' each build was though.

And it doesn't play like ANY FPS I've ever played. Not even GRAW or Rainbow Six have GOW style gameplay.
I'll agree with Powderkeg on this point. Gears of War really doesn't feel like any first person shooter I've ever played. It's a good game, and I give Epic credit for creating a fairly unique type of game (for them, anyway). But it most definitely is not like a first person shooter.

In my view, "next gen" new graphical possibilities (pre-GoW) afforded by the PS3, XTS, etc, may have started with this game. I am very impressed, the graphics are astounding, the sound is captivating, the game runs smooth as silk.

I am playing through the first level (I bought it yesterday), and I must say that there is a scene that reminds me of a CoD's CGI quality TV commercial with no downgrade in quality.

I am talking about the scene in wich you are in a street-fight situation where you have to take out axis' soldiers in the windows, all of whom are equipped with heavy machine guns and you have to... -well, no spoilers- :smile:

Apart from the amazing detail and dedication shown into the game, there are a lot of things happening at the same time, huge amounts of units, graphical effects, etc etc.

Yes, NG has started with X360. First impressions,... I give the game a 9.7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, NG has started with X360. First impressions,... I give the game a 9.7.
My first, very early impression of COD3 is, in a word, "Meh." I loved COD2 and thought there was an intense emotional quality about the game. This one is pretty much exactly the same, except without the emotional quality. Any scenes that attempted to evoke an emotion felt very forced and cliched.

The gameplay itself is typical of COD and shouldn't surprise anyone. The game definitely looks good, but this might be the first 360 title I trade in...

Obviously just my opinion and YMMV etc, etc.

I am playing through the first level (I bought it yesterday), and I must say that there is a scene that reminds me of a CoD's CGI quality TV commercial with no downgrade in quality.

Have you seen that commercial lately? Its miles beyond CoD3 in terms of graphics, maybe you just dont remember?

this game does look amazing .... better than any online screens or vids would lead you to believe.... and online multiplayer is fun as all get out.

The graphics in COD3 does look really nice. But I prefer the gritty look GeOW has. I haven't tried the multiplayer aspect of COD3 though :)

If the reviews are accurate.
I'll be in for some treat.

PS3 version gets an 8.2:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/callofduty3/review.html?page=1

Call of Duty 3's online component is more robust on the Xbox 360, but there's still a lot to like on the PlayStation 3. Twenty-four people can play online, but whereas four players per Xbox 360 could go online, just one person can play on a single PS3, and there's no ranked play. Having 24 people in a match makes for some intense action, though it's difficult to make a difference operating as a lone soldier. There are nine different multiplayer maps and six different match types available for play, including team battles, capture the flag, headquarters, and more. If you're looking to play as something other than a basic soldier, there are seven different kits to choose from, including a medic who can revive players and a support soldier that delivers ammo. And you won't have to hoof it all the time, either. Jeeps, tanks, and motorcycles are found throughout the levels, adding even more depth to an already deep multiplayer experience. Playing on prerelease servers, the online action ran smoothly with nary a hint of lag.

Call of Duty 3's visuals are great, though a problematic frame rate leaves the game looking decidedly less impressive than it does on the Xbox 360. The game, of course, looks best in high definition (the maximum resolution is 720p), but it still looks nice when viewed on a standard television display. The draw distance is excellent, and you'll never notice any buildings or textures suddenly popping into view. Whether it's a farm in the French countryside or a war-torn village, each level is very detailed and looks fantastic. The outdoor environments are particularly impressive, and though you'll run into an invisible wall should you stray too far, smart level design makes them feel larger than they really are. There are plenty of lush bushes, thick grass, and large trees to use as cover, and they all look great. The textures feature a lot of detail and look nice when viewed up close. It's hard to appreciate every little detail when you're trying to escape death, but the cutscenes offer a chance to enjoy the improved presentation without having to worry about getting shot because you stopped to admire the falling rain, planes flying overhead, or a puddle that has collected in a hole left by a grenade. The game's effects are outstanding. Throwing a smoke grenade results in a thick cloud of smoke so dense and so realistic you'll sometimes find yourself squinting in an effort to see better. Explosions from grenades, rockets, and bombs are similarly impressive.

There are a couple of visual issues that mar the otherwise great graphics. Key amongst these is the erratic frame rate. It was fast and mostly smooth on the 360, but the game's extremely choppy on the PlayStation 3. This problem isn't limited to hectic battle sequences either--it'll chug in rooms that are completely empty. It never happened to a soldier that was alive, but after you kill them, dead soldiers will occasionally get stuck in walls and even float in midair. It's also possible to see the sparks from weapons fire through solid walls. Even though most of the textures are quite good, some of them aren't all that impressive and some of the indoor environments, houses in particular, are repetitive.

I still remember the deabte i had a few weeks ago with some people who were certain that the ps3 version would "look better" than the 360 one,using ancient PR talk as evidence.It seems that once again i was right and the 360 version is the better looking and better playing one.

Back