WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you have not answered the question. The fact that you had it saved on your PC does not make it true.
I wasn't trying to present it as true. I think it's well understood that anything is just speculation at this point.I was just adding some info I had.This entire thread is a question, any info is offered just for debate.

I wasn't trying to present it as true. I think it's well understood that anything is just speculation at this point.I was just adding some info I had.This entire thread is a question, any info is offered just for debate.

IGN's specs have been debated over and over. No need to bring it up here.

Basically, this thread is about the stuff we still don't know, yet. But now that there are dissassembled Wii's, why can't someone look at them?

IGN's specs have been debated over and over. No need to bring it up here.

Basically, this thread is about the stuff we still don't know, yet. But now that there are dissassembled Wii's, why can't someone look at them?

I didn't think the IGN specs were so detailed.

They are Maxconsole specs and I can't believe people take them seriously as the cache numbers are off even for Gecko specs, as it would require Wii to go through a downgrade just to be valid. Ram is off and same for the bandwidth numbers they give out. BTW have we seen any wii disassembled pics showing what type of ram it uses?

The only external RAM chip has been confirmed to be 64MB GDDR3 (Samsung).
3-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a Samsung chip but it doesn't look like a mem chip nor do I see any lines to the CPU or VPU.Which chip is supposed to be the memory?
You've found it ;)
Chip specs here. It's GDDR3 with a 32 bit wide interface and specced for up to 700MHz operation (DDR1400). 64MiB.

Is 512 Mbit the same as 64MB?
Yes. Edited into the old post ;)
That confirms it? Wii has 64MB RAM total running at 5.6GiB/s?
There could still be some extra memory embedded into Hollywood, either on die or on the package (like RSX or Xenos). The thing looks quite large anyway.
Edited bits: Oh and we pretty much know that the Wii will have at least the embedded framebuffer and texture cache carried over from the Gamecube, which are 3MB with 2x9.6GB/s bandwidth. I'm thinking more of extra embedded memory.

Yes. Edited into the old post ;)
There could still be some extra memory embedded into Hollywood, either on die or on the package (like RSX or Xenos). The thing looks quite large anyway.
Edited bits: Oh and we pretty much know that the Wii will have at least the embedded framebuffer and texture cache carried over from the Gamecube, which are 3MB with 2x9.6GB/s bandwidth. I'm thinking more of extra embedded memory.

Geez what's the cost on one of those little chips. Would it have cost alot to put one more for a total of 128MB?

Anyone wanting to do a size comparison from this picture (motherboard from above)? We could compare Hollywood either to the GDDR chip or to Broadway which is supposedly 25 mm^2. Afterwards we could compare it to the size of Flipper@90nm. That would give a good idea, if it just an OC'ed flipper or not or if there's a lot more of embedded RAM in it.

Geez what's the cost on one of those little chips. Would it have cost alot to put one more for a total of 128MB?
Something between 5 and 10 dollars, plus the PCB changes to accomodate a second chip. They have really focused on low cost :-|

Anyone wanting to do a size comparison from this picture (motherboard from above)? We could compare Hollywood either to the GDDR chip or to Broadway which is supposedly 25 mm^2. Afterwards we could compare it to the size of Flipper@90nm. That would give a good idea, if it just an OC'ed flipper or not or if there's a lot more of embedded RAM in it.
The GDDR chip package is 67x53 pixels on that image vs 11x14mm specified size.
The Hollywood package is 146x146 pixels.
The Broadway package is 100x100 pixels.

edited bits: 1 pixel is roughly 0.209mm. That makes the Hollywood package 930mm² and 436mm² for Broadway. It's no use though. We won't find out the die sizes with those stupid heat spreaders still on!

Are there 128MB chips? Just swap the 64 for the 128. Then cost wouldn't exactly have changed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back