PS3 + EyeToy vs Revolution

eDoshin said:
I want to try a new game pak I saw where there was a boxing game similiar to Punchout .. I think (I only glanced at it when someone else was playing in the store).

What's the name of the game pack?

mckmas8808 said:
What's the name of the game pack?

I believe its simply Eyetoy Play 2. Its hard recommending Eyetoy because on the one hand, the games are simplistic and sometimes not as responsive as you would like (although I admit to playing in some poor lighting conditions), but on the other hand, they are fun .. and sometimes that's what its all about.

eDoshin said:
I believe its simply Eyetoy Play 2. Its hard recommending Eyetoy because on the one hand, the games are simplistic and sometimes not as responsive as you would like (although I admit to playing in some poor lighting conditions), but on the other hand, they are fun .. and sometimes that's what its all about.

Believe me, you haven't seen anything yet. Just see the "Eye Toy 1" (PS2) as a prototype.
There is a lot of crazy stuff going on in Liverpool, the Foster City Studio and (---->) Tokyo.
You're right. The games were fun. And yeah, sometimes they were "just" for fun.
But now, there is a lot more.
And the Eye Toy "2" camera is not the only "PS3 thingy" with some secrets.

Axsider said:
And the Eye Toy "2" camera is not the only "PS3 thingy" with some secrets.
The controller? Is that why Kutaragi has not yet let anyone else even hold his joystick? What secrets could it possibly have?
My prediction: The DualShock3 and EyeToy2 work together, the controller has some leds or even just some "glow in the dark" markers in front (the side facing your screen), possibly 4 pieces in a diamond formation, that the EyeToy2 can easily "read" even in dark, so as well as using the traditional buttons, you could control by tilting and moving the whole controller around. The leds would just add precision to the "motion capture" and the controller would have exactly the same functionality as the Revolution controller, maybe even more, and it would not really add to the cost other than the new Eye Toy2.
Of course the EyeToy2 would work without the controller too, but working in tandem with the DS3 would open up more control options in traditional games too, not just controlling wawing your hands etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
The controller? Is that why Kutaragi has not yet let anyone else even hold his joystick? What secrets could it possibly have?
My prediction: The DualShock3 and EyeToy2 work together, the controller has some leds or even just some "glow in the dark" markers in front (the side facing your screen), possibly 4 pieces in a diamond formation, that the EyeToy2 can easily "read" even in dark, so as well as using the traditional buttons, you could control by tilting and moving the whole controller around. The leds would just add precision to the "motion capture" and the controller would have exactly the same functionality as the Revolution controller, maybe even more, and it would not really add to the cost other than the new Eye Toy2.
Of course the EyeToy2 would work without the controller too, but working in tandem with the DS3 would open up more control options in traditional games too, not just controlling wawing your hands etc.

Nice ideas, my friend
Well, there are just a few people which have seen the real PS3 "controlller".
Kaz Hirai + Even Wells, Phil Harrison + XXXX and Kazunori Yamauchi. But none of them ever touched it. Kutaragi hold it in his hands.
He is the only person who knows everything about it. He's the keyholder

You really think a controller with some lights on it that can be picked up by the Eye Toy will have the kind of reliability and ease of use that Revolutions controller has rabidrabbit? The controller you're talking about would have only a fraction of the precision motion sensing of Revs controller. What happens when you tilt the controller around and the lights are not facing the camera?.. complete loss of control is what. Where you get the idea it could have more possibilities is also puzzling.

I'm sure there can be some fun games for a new Eye Toy and some Revolution-like play will be possible (if they do as you suggest), but please stop hyping it as a Revolution beater.

Why would you turn the controller all the way around? Why would you do it with the Rev controller? Either you're going to have to let go for a second or you're physically going to have to get up and turn around. Why would a developer force you to do that?

I think it spells out cross-platform games or move diverstity at least for two of the major players. What's wrong with that?

You wouldn't have to tilt it completely around to lose control. Just tilt it 80 degree's up and the lights on the front would be facing up out of the camera's viewpoint.

By the way I didn't say there was anything wrong with cross platform games, I didn't even mention them. What I'm saying is that this DS3+Eye Toy hype is getting a bit out of hand when people start cliaming it will offer everything Revolutions controller offers and more. I mean we don't even know if this so called Eye Toy 2 is even going to be included in PS3 do we? Let alone the DS3 speculation, or how well this idea would even work (precision ect).

Well, we don't exactly know how precise the Revolution controller is either, it doies require some kind of sensor(s?) beside your tv so it must be at least somewhat position sensitive too.
Why would I turn the DS3 around so the lights or whatever would not be readable by the cam?

Well we do have many hands on articles on Revolutions controller, all positive and some of them raving about just how precise it is.

Why would you turn the controller like that? If your playing a golf game you would need to lift the controller at that angle and have it up behind your head before swinging. Just one example that sprung to mind. Either way if these lights have to face the camera to pick up movement then it still means less freedom of movement compared to Revolutions controller.

We do? Where? There aren't any games for Revolution yet, neither even the hardware.
Edit: You're right about the golf game though, and for example sword fighting games too. I was wrong, guess it wasn't such a good idea after all :)

Axsider said:
Believe me, you haven't seen anything yet. Just see the "Eye Toy 1" (PS2) as a prototype.

I hope that is true, I could see some very nice games coming from that.

rabidrabbit said:
We do? Where? There aren't any games for Revolution yet, neither even the hardware.

We were talking about the precision of the controller though not how well developers will use it in games. I was referring to the hands on reports available online and in mags.

Joe Defuria said:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1517678/20051207/index.jhtml?headlines=true
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782
http://www.cnet.com.au/games/hardware/0,39029706,40057062,00.htm
http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/15/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/?cnn=yes

I'm sure there are more online. I also have one in Edge Magazine that really couldn't say enough good things about their time with the controller. To the point where they said that going back to the TGS floor afterwards seemed sureal in that 360 suddenly looked "incredibly old fashioned" and picking up a Dual Shock now seemed "prepostorous" to them.

Axsider said:
Nice ideas, my friend
Well, there are just a few people which have seen the real PS3 "controlller".
Kaz Hirai + Even Wells, Phil Harrison + XXXX and Kazunori Yamauchi. But none of them ever touched it. Kutaragi hold it in his hands.
He is the only person who knows everything about it. He's the keyholder

Are you a real insider. If so drop a super small hint about CES and the PS3.

Teasy said:
Well we do have many hands on articles on Revolutions controller, all positive and some of them raving about just how precise it is.

Why would you turn the controller like that? If your playing a golf game you would need to lift the controller at that angle and have it up behind your head before swinging. Just one example that sprung to mind. Either way if these lights have to face the camera to pick up movement then it still means less freedom of movement compared to Revolutions controller.

The Leds would be for precision movements...generally motion like this would be easy to pick up without them. It's a big swing not a scalpel incision. That's the way I see it anyway.

Axsider said:
He's the keyholder
Don't you just love it when people come out of nowhere and make cryptic, yet nebulous claims founded on absolutely nothing? :D

Besides, don't you mean keymaster? Then you can start talking about the gatekeeper too...

Guden Oden said:
Don't you just love it when people come out of nowhere and make cryptic, yet nebulous claims founded on absolutely nothing? :D

There'd be an aweful lot of blank space on the console forums if it wasn't for that.

Back