Baldur's Gate III announced!

Here I am reading the minimum specs on PC are 12GB total ram. But then XSS has only 10GB (and like a PC has an OS too). So technically XSS specs are even lower than the min PC specs. It's not vram limitations. It's main ram (making sense for this kind of game + splitscreen) + vram.
On PC graphical assets are duplicated on system and vram. We have no way to go to IO and bypass memory at this moment and it would be too slow.

Its 8GB max.

Baldur's gate is not Halo infinite. Halo infinite is a game typically pushing graphics (that can be easily downscaled) while Baldur's gate 3 might well push more the CPU and logic side, which is much less downscalable (if that's even a word :unsure:).
Sorry if I'm wrong, but wasn't it you that brought halo into this in the first place?
As an indication where it was problem on the XSS?

I think MS needs to kick things into high gear if they can and start making improvements to APIs and tools at a faster rate, as well as maybe start putting up money in some cases to ensure that Xbox versions get the time/attention they should.
Their always making improvements to the GDK etc.
Paying for marketing/lead platform would make a difference.
As that's the platform the studio will always be showing it off on, so then that's the one they would have to make is ad polished as possible as soon as possible.

You can sign agreements for this to happen. This isn’t some sort of conspiracy here. The text reads vague enough to imply this.

The Xbox title is not delayed. But it’s also not releasing at the same time as PS5.

If Xbox was meant to release day and date of PS5 and it doesn’t, then it’s delayed. If it’s actually due date for Xbox is next year, then it’s on track, and not delayed. But not on track to release when PS5 is slated to.

And if it releases day and date as PS5 then all of this was just pointless posturing and a poor tweet from a developer. Because it’s nothing more than a marketing deal to announce BG3 now for PS5 for the state of play.

None of it is still relevant to a vram limitation.

So despite them talking about struggling with a split screen implementation on the Series consoles, it’s all a Sony marketing thing in the end?

Ok.

Was that the case for Halo as well?

Oh no, they were just too busy to bother.

As I say, Occam!

So despite them talking about struggling with a split screen implementation on the Series consoles, it’s all a Sony marketing thing in the end?

Ok.

Was that the case for Halo as well?

Oh no, they were just too busy to bother.

As I say, Occam!
Define struggling. All platforms require work, and all platforms have their own challenges, otherwise everything comes out perfectly on time with no glitches. We have to be cognitive of labour and time as being fundamental inputs into polish of a game.

So if the game releases day and date as PS5 and runs perfectly fine, did it struggle ?
Or are you saying it will never come yo Xbox because Series S has a memory issue that makes it impossible to run split screen.
How do we attribute any struggling to just available memory allocation? Why is it not the million other items that could be on the list.

The reasons behind Halo Infinite far outweigh the challenges here from BG3. We are talking about full open world glitches and bugs, happening in RT with Xbox one and millions of PC configurations that can interpret glitches differently and the amount of testing and certification there may not have been worth it.

So the release date for this is Aug 31, 2023, only 1 day before Starfield.

That's brutal. Surely it wouldn't hurt to give themselves another month or two. November looks a bit more free, at least from like, major single player/RPG competition.

That's brutal. Surely it wouldn't hurt to give themselves another month or two. November looks a bit more free, at least from like, major single player/RPG competition.
I imagine they already squeezed a lot of the market dry with the early access for pc the last what 2 years or so. Also it will perhaps try to fill the void for ps5 only owners who want an rpg and starfield isn't avalible ?

Yea this is the other issue with delaying a game forever, and part of the reason why some games get pushed out the door instead of waiting to be fully baked. There's no longer a feasible release window, and the longer you take to release, the more losses you are incurring since you're still developing, and you get slaughtered by other big hitting titles.

The biggest issue with 5 year development cycles is quite plainly, is what you made in 2023 still going to be relevant and buzzworthy in game design, mechanics, and graphics by 2028. Now imagine delaying that further. (looking at Skull and Bones which was announced at E3 2017 - meaning in development before that likely)

Sometimes you just don't have a choice, it's unfortunate for them, but they already got paid out via kickstarter, so this is not so bad.

Last edited:
It's kind of insane that anything you can see in the city, you can go explore. And it's not exactly a small city.

I've got a few friends that are torn about what to play between this and Starfield. There's a few streamers that wish they could play this instead of Starfield (they want to play both), but have to play Starfield because that'll probably bring in a larger audience = more money.

Regards,
SB

It's kind of insane that anything you can see in the city, you can go explore. And it's not exactly a small city.

I've got a few friends that are torn about what to play between this and Starfield. There's a few streamers that wish they could play this instead of Starfield (they want to play both), but have to play Starfield because that'll probably bring in a larger audience = more money.

Regards,
SB
They can play this now if they want too

I imagine they already squeezed a lot of the market dry with the early access for pc the last what 2 years or so. Also it will perhaps try to fill the void for ps5 only owners who want an rpg and starfield isn't avalible ?
The full game isn't available in early access, only the first act.

Plus the bulk of sales will still come post-release. Obviously there's a lot of hardcore fans who were happy to buy and play in Early Access, but these games do have a large potential audience beyond this who will only really be captured once there's a bigger marketing push and major reviews and word of mouth and all that. Or people like me, who love these games, but dont typically want to spoil myself with Early Access and am happy to wait for the 'finished product'.

It's definitely a concerning conflict here. Big overlap in the types of people who play these sorts of epic scale WRPG's and Starfield is not just some new big RPG, it's being set up as like one of the biggest games of the generation, full stop.

A week - Starfield comes out on 6 September. But a week really isn't much tie to absorb a RPG. Assuming BG3 launched in a good state, a smart move would be to play that for several weeks and give Bethesda some time to patch Starfield.

Personally, I'll be in Starfield day 1 but I don't care about BG3.

A week - Starfield comes out on 6 September. But a week really isn't much tie to absorb a RPG. Assuming BG3 launched in a good state, a smart move would be to play that for several weeks and give Bethesda some time to patch Starfield.

Personally, I'll be in Starfield day 1 but I don't care about BG3.

You can play it on the first with the higher editions. So BG3 is just a day before.

One surprise that came during the showcase was the announcement that Starfield will have an Early Access period. The game globally launches on September 6, but fans with Early Access will be able to blast off into Bethesda's new universe five days early on September 1.

You can play it on the first with the higher editions. So BG3 is just a day before.
For people whoa are keen to pay for a game before any form of review has been released.

I know I will love Starfield, I just don't know when. Fallout 3 was better than Oblivion. Skyrim was better than Oblivion. Fallout 4 was very stable for me (on PS4) at launchch. Starfield is really pushing the boat out though. The previous games felt like iterations whereas Starfield feels like a revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not surprising. Obviously it's strange and potentially even unnerving to see a game get a release date pushed earlier, but I think it was pretty obvious that its initial release date was a recipe for disaster.

Looks like MS is going to try and address the dev's short comings on this one
*Looks like MS is going to try and address the problems they created themselves with the ridiculous notion that any games on their underpowered Series S need perfect feature parity with Series X releases.

Back