GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat true. You can lower reflections quality to low and still get RT reflections with what will be a much smaller cost (~33-40% of performance).
The difference with reflections is pretty noticeable even at low quality option although it depends on a level you're playing. It's not a transformative one though since most of these are "faked" in raster version well enough I'd say.
High quality seem to add most of in game materials into reflective category, so that even stone and asphalt reflect light creating some sort of bounced lighting. But this is not really a big deal here as levels have fully static lighting anyway.
RT shadows are pretty useless though. The change aren't visible most of the time.

I thought RT reflections are just an on and off setting in this game?

Yes, just ON or OFF
hitman3_2022_05_24_18s7j2r.jpg

Can't say that I've seen any scene being CPU limited here on a 3080 with 5900X. Even in 1080p the game is 100% GPU limited with RT (and runs at 25-80 fps depending on reflections quality setting).
Overall CPU load seem to hang around 20-33% so not even close to being CPU limited. Although the game does have three (or so) "heavy" threads which spike to ~50-60%.
I doubt that your 10C 10850K is so much worse than a 5900X here.
Marrakesh map, in the crowded market area I'm dropping well below 30fps.

Same framerate at 1440p and 1080p. GPU usage 38% and the 3080 Ti is even downclocking because it's just idling waiting for the CPU. Obviously heavily CPU limited here.

FtEzPnT.png

Are you sure your 3080 usage is maxing out even when 25fps @1080p?

Yes, just ON or OFF
There's a separate reflection quality setting. In the scene in my screenshot, I go from about 25 -> 50 when I drop reflections to low.

Nope. Reflection quality option works wih RT as well but differently. It's not very well communicated in their UI which part of the problem.
Oh, I see. Well that makes sense.

What's the performance impact and visual quality at medium reflections without shadows? Do you have the game and could try that out?

Last edited:
What's the performance impact and visual quality at medium reflections without shadows?
From my limited testing it seem to go like this:
100% - RT off
65% - RT low w/shadows
50% - RT medium w/shadows
30% - RT low w/shadows
Turning off shadows when reflections are active gives a minor boost in my experience - around +10% or so.

A significant hit on the CPU is to be expected from a game with such immense crowds. Animated characters require constant BVH refitting and rebuilding. The more skinned models in a scene, the higher the overhead from that will be...

If Metro had scenes with these many characters on screen, I bet its performance would be as bad as hitman.

Darthmoor benchmark is CPU limited on my 5900X/3080 up until 4K without RT. With RT it's GPU limited even in 1080p.

Is that benchmark actually representative of the scenes of the game filled up to the brim with NPCs? Does it feature large crowds?

StarWars.com: How has the power of current-gen consoles enabled you to expand or make things better in Jedi: Survivor from a gameplay perspective?

Stig Asmussen: So I think the biggest thing is ray tracing, or lighting. That’s allowing us to do real-time lighting, all the time, at a fidelity that’s well beyond anything that we’ve ever produced before. Since it’s real-time, we get to see the changes as we tweak the lights — immediately, essentially. That means that we have more time to polish, that means that we can iterate more, and we can get better results that feel more filmic.
https://www.starwars.com/news/swca-2022-star-wars-jedi-survivor-interview

It’s only releasing for current consoles where RT is available. Does that mean non-RT PC hardware is out of luck?
The game is supposedly using UE5? Then there's that option at least.

But this just highlights that we're nearing the end of crossgen period, and many games are starting to look at RT as a baseline h/w feature. Which means that there will definitely be games which will require RT h/w soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back