Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

That went well...

It's so obvious why a bunch of executives left in the run up to the PS5. It must be frustrating to see decades of your life's work tossed in the bin in order to bolster profits for enough quarters for Jim Ryan to retire a rich, charmless, discount Gordon Ramsay.

It's quite frustrating to know that PlayStation as I've known it for 25 years is pretty much dead in the water at this point. It'll take a decade or so for it to finally happen, but as they try to pivot away from the costly and difficult business of managing a platform ("we're streamlining our focus" blah blah blah) they'll find that they're in the precarious position of, well, Sega.

I will not be buying another PlayStation as long as Jim Ryan is in charge. That man has no vision and just chases after the last pound coin he caught a whiff of.

I think they'll do like many others, free upgrade to ps5 version.
But if you get the ps5 version from the start, do you also get a ps4 version for free ?

Nah, its actually the other way around. The game is designed with pc in mind and then downscaled to fit on consoles. Hence the bad performance and graphics there. Go and watch DF's videos on the matter.

So basically what's happening with ps5 games downported to ps4. Right !
Cross gen.

Curious to see the price of PS4 version of the game if it is 60 dollars. It will be clever to buy the PS4 version and play with the free upgrade on PS5. At least for people with PS5 it will maybe be cheaper to buy the game.

Curious to see the price of PS4 version of the game if it is 60 dollars. It will be clever to buy the PS4 version and play with the free upgrade on PS5. At least for people with PS5 it will maybe be cheaper to buy the game.

It could be that the free PS5 upgrade for PS4 version of the game will require PS4 console.

Like MS, but they were honest.

Yup. You have to wonder if this was always the plan or if this is a response to the Sony's inability to produce enough PS5s. If the latter, fair enough but just say that. If the former, Sony's comms were deceitful. Lots of people, myself included, criticised Sony's comms regarding PS5 last year but that was mostly their lack of information.

miles makes definitly more money on ps5 and its proof that talking about we can't leave 110mln base is bs

If Miles Morales made a decent amount from PS4, why would Sony give that up? They're in it for the money, nothing more.

Considering how many shortages there are for the PS5 hardware, it makes more sense to release cross-generation games. People want the console, want the games, but they wont be able to play those new games if they cant have a console that can play them. These multimillion projects need as many sales as they can get.
Although I have to say, I wish shortages did not exist and those games took fully advantage of the PS5's unique capabilities.

Everybody understand why sony do this (but imho is just back of greedy arogant sony) but have doubts its not a problem for devs, hdd and cpu in ps4 is like from medieval and some devs even complained that targeting xss is problematic. So yeah, and probably gt7 will be crossplay so there is no option that it will be like separated different version, generaly from all this big crossgen games gt7 will suffer most

The word of Hermen Hulst are clear launch the biggest first party title only on PS5 would not been a very good business decision. This is not the problem. they just mislead the people and they did it because they wanted to look better than Xbox.

I hope Phil Spencer will took a shot at Sony during E3 conference, they disserve it and it is sad it is not a physical conference where the crowd applause about it.

I hope Phil Spencer will took a shot at Sony during E3 conference, they disserve it and it is sad it is not a physical conference where the crowd applause about it.
Don't see him doing anything of the sorts.
I wouldn't put it past someone else though.
Forza Horizon is pushing crossgen to the limit and is the best looking and playing game, and looks even more amazing on current gen.
But motorsport is built from the ground up and isn't possible on last gen.

I wasn't a fan of either Sony or MS messaging around cross gen, although I think, especially as time goes on Sony's seems for want of a better word, dishonest in my eyes.

Last edited:
I love Sony, but man this is really triggering me.

I frankly don’t give a rats backside if ‘it makes sense’ - Sony states next gen means next gen, they went on about how the tech will change how games are designed...then we find out the games can run on PS4?

Fx that man - these games should have been designed from the ground up for PS5, you can’t just pivot on this...I am so disappointed right now, I want games that justify my expense.

Last edited:
Don't see him doing anything of the sorts.
I wouldn't put it past someone else though.

I wasn't a fan of either Sony or MS messaging around cross gen, although I think, especially as time goes on Sony's seems for wasn't of a better word, dishonest in my eyes.

Or Larry Hyrb or Aaron Greenberg just a punchline, my problem is not the policy this is business but the message and dishonesty.

Or Larry Hyrb or Aaron Greenberg just a punchline, my problem is not the policy this is business but the message and dishonesty.
I fully get where you coming from, could see from your first post just how much it got under your skin.

Could see Aaron taking a swipe. Rather see a more classy dig being done whilst talking about their own games.
Not that I'm against the odd bit of, this is how we share our games moments.

I love Sony, but man this is really triggering me.

I frankly don’t give a rats backside if ‘it makes sense’ - Sony states next gen means next gen, they went on about how the tech will change how games are designed...then we find out the games can run on PS4?

Fx that man - these games should have been designed from the ground up for PS5, you can’t just pivot on this...I am so disappointed right now, I want games that justify my expense.
there's nada you can or they will do. People aren't going to stop buying PS5 in protest. They have a shortages till next year, and at this point in time if you see a PS5 on the shelf you have to buy it because it'll be bought by someone else immediately.

Sony is going to wait for you guys to stop caring. But yea, it sucks, I mean. The best time to buy a console is truly at revision it seems, if you're looking to maximize your dollars. Next gen, they'll do the same thing. And the early adopters will eat it up and get burned again. That's just reality, there is too much novelty in getting something first, this type of thing won't stop people.

Does anybody feel bad now for giving Xbox a hard time last year?

Tommy McClain

On Xbox/MS side, people knew what they were getting from the start. On Playstation's, people thought they where getting a generational leap in graphics/true next generation games but got the opposite happening. One could say that its not about the destination but about the journey to it, but still, being hyped up for almost a whole year and then getting slammed in the face with cross-gen titles and remakes/remasters all over again, aside from graphics that didnt really live up to the UE5 tech demo which was supposed to show graphics which where going to be only on PS5 due to its rendering capabilities, later to find out it runs equally well on an xbox or a 2018 based higher end pc.

Now, theres not all that much reason to actually obtain a PS5, i mean, most of it will run on PS4 and PS4 Pro anyways, quite nicely aswell if studios arent in for a refunding process. Doubt they will go the 2077 route and design primary for 2020 hardware and squeeze that into low end 2013 hardware.

The only thing that would piss me off is if sony would release games on PC and not playstation. But that won't happen.

Ouch. Seeing what is actually happening, combined with Sony's messaging along that subject, your in for a hell of a ride (which i dont understand anyway why its such a sensitive thing to begin with).

On Xbox/MS side, people knew what they were getting from the start. On Playstation's, people thought they where getting a generational leap in graphics/true next generation games but got the opposite happening.

Are you claiming xbox has better launch window titles this console generation than ps5? Eventually ps4 will be phased out. At that point your argument doesn't favor xbox/pc anymore as both will have slower hw in gamers hand than what ps5 is. Xbox series s is a mistake imho. Better to keep old console around for a while and move to higher base spec then by removing support to old console. Sony has better way of moving user base to higher base spec than xbox has.

We finally have rolling generations which I have been big proponent for. Very similar to how phone upgrades work.

Last edited:
The only thing that would piss me off is if sony would release games on PC and not playstation. But that won't happen.
I was pretty close to buying a PC GPU instead of both consoles banking on their titles coming to PC. But in the end I decided against it. Next generation I'm not sure what I'll do. It's certainly coming together.

Back