Custom built Voodoo 5 6000

I think a larger memory controller and higher amounts of ram would also be important.

I wonder how high a chip can clock on 12nm or heck even 16nm .. gotta be cheap to use that process now

Lets see... VSA-100 2.0. ... 14nm GF lines ought to be available, or Samsungs. You'd probably be able to clock them quite a bit. Slap in some DDR4 (could possibly be overkill, anything is better than the SDRAM that was in it to begin with) or even HBM for packaging reasons. PCIe, obviously.

With how much smaller the components would be you could even shrink the design and make a "mini" Voodoo 5 6000.

Lets see... VSA-100 2.0. ... 14nm GF lines ought to be available, or Samsungs. You'd probably be able to clock them quite a bit. Slap in some DDR4 (could possibly be overkill, anything is better than the SDRAM that was in it to begin with) or even HBM for packaging reasons. PCIe, obviously.

Hope you have some millions $ ready for the design.

Now we just need someone to ask NVIDIA to hand over the designs and get to work
pitch it to them as a PR move they might bite. If you can prove it will cost them nothing aside from letting you use the rights to a video card that is what 21 years old and by the time something like that would take off it would be 23 or 25 years old.

Actually thats how you pitch it to them. Hey nvidia Do updated classic designs of your old cards and nvidia's cards for enthusiasts look how how well the nes and super nes mini sold , people love buying nostalgia

pitch it to them as a PR move they might bite. If you can prove it will cost them nothing aside from letting you use the rights to a video card that is what 21 years old and by the time something like that would take off it would be 23 or 25 years old.

Actually thats how you pitch it to them. Hey nvidia Do updated classic designs of your old cards and nvidia's cards for enthusiasts look how how well the nes and super nes mini sold , people love buying nostalgia
I think it would need to be the guy who did this Voodoo, Anthony at Mod Labs

What, technically, could be done with the VSA-100 arch if you put your mind to it?

The T-buffer especially seems like a very interesting concept since there is a lot of effects you could theoretically do with an image buffer of decent size and speed. I know terribly little about the T-buffers functioning however. I doubt it was akin to the PS2's eDRAM.

Downside is that it lacks hardware T&L, so it's not even fully DX7 compliant in that regard. Not to mention a lack of basic pixel shading.

Back