Bloomberg on PS5 yields, orders, and price ranges [2020-09-14]

Smartshift power cap is not a problem alone, but in this set you can limit the options of adjustment
Smartshift is a method for the power management algorithm to shift power budget between CPU and GPU, in this case. It runs through firmware and isn't physically important to fabrication. If there is a need for adjustment, the firmware can be changed more readily than the hardware.

The complex I / O in SoC seems to me quite elaborate
A collection of microcontrollers and some SRAM is a combination of building blocks similar to AMD's other southbridge or IO blocks. The silicon in the southbridge section has lower performance requirements and usually has logic synthesized for more pedestrian clocks and voltages, with an emphasis on reducing standby power.
Other elements like IO or controllers often have larger transistors and wires that make them more tolerant of variation than the GPU or CPU.

How long would it take for a project like this to mature?
Production ramps can take months, with ramps projected over multiple financial quarters. As note before, it's not clear what the exact details are for the semicustom contract with AMD. There are often special accommodations for lower initial yields in terms of pricing, but eventually there is a shift to declining chip prices that the client pays to AMD as the production is considered matured. I think AMD may have made a passing reference to payment adjustment in the year after the PS4 and Xbox One launched.

That would put PS5 chips at 125 dolars each. It's too much.

I think price will be 399/549 or even 399/575... with the cheap one almost impossible to find at the beginning... the article is there to prepare the ground to a bitter price... people with large phisical library better keep the old ps4....

Either that or Sony never changed their plans and Bloomberg was wrong at least 2 out of the 3 times they talked about PS5 production numbers.

I don't think Takashi Mochizuki, Bloomberg's contact in Japan for everything tech / console related, is ill intended, but like many others he may be being fed false information, e.g. to purge leakers.

And maybe another leaker was purged today.

They said price is lowest possible. Which is just to say they would almost never be wrong anyways lol. Not sure why people even jumped on the price.

Because it's in the range of what they wanted to hear.

I am leaning towards $599 and $499 original price, that now might be 549$ 449$. I think BOM of these consoles is higher then previous gen and refresh.

IHS had Xbox One X manufacturing cost at $447, while Sony had to drop UHD to get to $399 with PS4 Pro with smaller SOC, less RAM etc. That was on 16nm node, with HDD instead of NVMe SSDs, cheaper memory, cheaper PCBs, cheaper cooling, cheaper SOCs etc.

I assume manufacturing cost for these will likely go north of $499, and Sony used DE to have leeway with price point in case XSX matches theirs. With MS's Xcloud strategy, they might offset lower yields by using these SOCs in XCloud blades, while Sony can't. One day to go now.

Él Corte Inglés, Europe's largest department store chain, has listings for 400€ Digital and 500€ Disc versions.
Would be pretty good price for DE as it removes what? 20 bucks?

As for yields, seems AquariusZi confirms Sonys output is much smaller then MS. Which makes sense, since Sony hinted it will be tight with pre orders. If it was ever 15M by March they would have never said it.

https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PlayStation/M.1600184304.A.A38.html

Well... regardless of BOM we get final pricing tomorrow at least. So let’s keep it together folks! And give me that damn enhanced BC info! GoW and TLOU2 PS5 enchantments!

We hope for final pricing tomorrow, no guarantees at the moment.
Lol common man. There’s no way it’s not coming tomorrow. How much more time could you possibly need 1 week after MS leaked all their shit and announced all days.

Lol common man. There’s no way it’s not coming tomorrow. How much more time could you possibly need 1 week after MS leaked all their shit and announced all days.

I would DIE laughing.

But really, at their last big show nobody expected them to show off the hardware but at the end they did, which surprised me and lots of other people for sure.

Price is a given for tomorrow.

Back