Everwild by Rare [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XPA]

Wow! What a great trailer...already rewatched it a dozen times!
It reminded me (and interested me ) of WiLD! - the Michel Ancel produced game which was shown in 2014 but which rumour suggests is vapourware.

They mentioned rituals in the trailer.

Would be great if this is all about rituals, witches (the characters seemed female), magic, potion and elixirs, summoning of pets/spirits and maybe even a dark path with necromancy :cool:

They mentioned rituals in the trailer.

Would be great if this is all about rituals, witches (the characters seemed female), magic, potion and elixirs, summoning of pets/spirits and maybe even a dark path with necromancy :cool:

Would be great if we knew what almost any of these games were about, but MS seems to have forgotten you actually play games instead of, you know, watch non descript, non gameplay trailers for them.

Here's my totally random guesses:

Everwild: Some weird Pokemon/Open world like crossover. Fable: It looks CG like and it's a "Games as a Service" thing set in medieval fairytale world. Avowed: First person Dark Souls alike.

Would be great if we knew what almost any of these games were about, but MS seems to have forgotten you actually play games instead of, you know, watch non descript, non gameplay trailers for them.

Here's my totally random guesses:

Everwild: Some weird Pokemon/Open world like crossover. Fable: It looks CG like and it's a "Games as a Service" thing set in medieval fairytale world. Avowed: First person Dark Souls alike.

interesting take on Fable. It could be a games as a service like Sea of Thieves or more MMO like. Everwild i think is a zelda type game. Avowed is more of a skyrim based on the pillars of eternity world. Take a look at the thread I made on it

No they havent fully decided the gameplay fully
They probably have some themes and concepts. If you ever watched Naughty Dog's video Grounded, which tells the story of the development of The Last of Us, they explain how their original gameplay ideas all looked great on paper but after they spent a lot of time building up the systems enough to where they could actually play, they realised that the gameplay just wasn't fun so they tossed most of it and started over. It was always going to a mushroom apocalypse game but the actual game changed over the course of development.

This is probably the case here.

interesting take on Fable. It could be a games as a service like Sea of Thieves or more MMO like. Everwild i think is a zelda type game. Avowed is more of a skyrim based on the pillars of eternity world. Take a look at the thread I made on it

I think Xbox have already denied Fable being an MMO

I think Xbox have already denied Fable being an MMO
I'd guess it would take some cues from Forza Horizon 4 with regards to how they handle multiplayer e.g. Live Events (meet up to complete co-op objectives every hour) & coming across other people (collisions disabled). Perhaps it's not MMO in the sense that it's not a shared world where other players influence the state of your session (e.g. economy & mob groups besides Live Events), but I could see them having such Live Events to get people to gather together for a raid or a group chicken-kicking session. :p That said, I'm not sure that's much different than how one can play Black Desert Online or Guild Wars 2. *shrug*

Likewise, they could setup PvP-specific events ala FH4 (who can kick the chicken the farthest?!)

Everwild‘s most senior developer, creative director Simon Woodroffe, has resigned from his position at Rare, VGC understands.

In a statement issued to VGC, the Microsoft owned studio confirmed the departure and insisted that Everwild development would be in good hands going forward.

Studio head Craig Duncan said: “We thank Simon for all his hard work on Everwild and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

“The Everwild team are in good hands and passionate about building a game that will give players unforgettable experiences in a natural and magical world.”

No reason was given for the creative director’s decision to leave, though studio sources told VGC that he had been absent for some time after submitting his resignation earlier this month.

Woodroffe joined Rare in 2012, following over a decade as head of design at Sega’s technology group, where he was most recently creative director for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Read more:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/rares-everwild-has-lost-its-creative-director/

More info from the article...

According to people familiar with its development, Everwild’s small team had struggled to define a clear direction for the title, beyond its striking art style and soundtrack.

As of last year, the game was a third-person adventure with god game elements, we were told. One person said that, in particular, a mandate from Rare’s leadership to not have any combat in the game had led to road blocks in design.

Last year studio head Craig Duncan admitted that Rare hadn’t discussed Everwild publicly much because it was still exploring how the title’s core themes would translate into gameplay.

“We learned a lot from Sea of Thieves,” he told Polygon. “At its heart, we love the idea of Sea of Thieves [and] players creating stories together.

“I think with Everwild, Louise [O’Connor] and her leadership team are really passionate about giving players a world that they can just lose themselves in — you know, a lot of nature feels magical.

“So the notion of, ‘What does it mean to nurture a world? What does it mean to be in nature?’

If it's a multiplayer game like Sea of Thieves & there's no combat, I think I could get into that. That's one of the problems with Sea of Thieves, getting into the exploration & the getting everything ruined by PvP players. :(

Tommy McClain

I get the feeling this game is just an art demo at this point. Creatively amazing, but it's not really a game yet. They should do some kind of Animal Crossing with a twist thing.

2024 at best, wow. Leadership at that studio must be a disaster.
its not easy making games like that. Following up on SoT is not easy either.

Skull and Bones which was set to release was entirely rebooted as well. They just could not keep up with the SoT cadence.

Making exploration games fun is extremely challenging, it's really easy to be put off if there is no progression.

guilty of approaching it from the wrong angle by having some half baked ideas and a strong look and then trying to make a game from them instead of what they should be doing making a solid game with basic placeholder art and then defining the look afterwards
anyways I betcha they do regret showing it off so early now
yeah sounds like they are victims of the sunk cost fallacy, which we are all guilty of in the past, me included :cry:

guilty of approaching it from the wrong angle by having some half baked ideas and a strong look and then trying to make a game from them instead of what they should be doing making a solid game with basic placeholder art and then defining the look afterwards
anyways I betcha they do regret showing it off so early now
yeah sounds like they are victims of the sunk cost fallacy, which we are all guilty of in the past, me included :cry:

Well, it's not worked out for them in this instance. It did work out with SoT though, so it not crazy for them to have start with a world/feel first. Everwild's theme is so much woolier than SoT's though. Easy to see why they've gone astray.

I'd hope we get something interesting out of it though.

Back