Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you forgot the "^3" on the last one. Not really wanting to hold on to this, but I've seen how different silicon behaves under different situations and they certainly do not scale identically. The results can be all over the place.
That's okay, this is fun for me too. ANd thanks, I thought something was off.
4.725*4 + 101.89 = 120.89W
vs 96W on Anandtech

So that tells me perhaps it's a little higher.
If I go with my initial assumption of Po of 30W.
30W + (39*2.033) = 109W vs 96W

I also need to account for DVFS, which will make things harder to figure out.

It does appear at the levels of
3600 95
3700 96
3800 96

There is something kicking in that is keeping power constant. That pattern goes away at 3900 and continues to be exponential after that.

Since we're on the topic; this is cool!
480688_1_En_1_Fig1_HTML.png

Sort of a neat snap shot of the way things have been moving. That frequency capped off quick, and we've been trending slightly downwards while cores continue on a linear path upwards, but tapering off as we hit size limits.

There is a way forward, it seems like AMD is banking on chiplets. Curious to see what other solutions will arrive.

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic; this is cool!
480688_1_En_1_Fig1_HTML.png

Sort of a neat snap shot of the way things have been moving. That frequency capped off quick, and we've been trending slightly downwards while cores continue on a linear path upwards, but tapering off as we hit size limits.

There is a way forward, it seems like AMD is banking on chiplets. Curious to see what other solutions will arrive.

Shame there's not a multithreaded performance plot on there.

Last edited:
really just looking for that compressed tiled bit, all makes sense now.
Well, yes, the SSDs make it possible what we saw in the tiled resourced demos (e.g. the flight demo) before the current gen. Now tiled resources with many many small compressed "files" are possible without a bandwidth hit we would see with an HDD.

This was expected, but it's nice to know for a fact that compression ratio will go up significantly with this, and so will bandwidth by a proportional amount. Sony didn't talk about it in the road to ps5 most probaby because it was not yet announced by radgametools.

That 22GB/s makes a lot more sense with this, since it's preconditioning the texture to compress more with kraken.

Stationary PCs range from massive towers to tiny little micro-PCs. Any console design is 'not far off a stationary PC'.

True. On the other hand portability and ease of placement doesn’t seem to have improved to say the least. It seems that they grew closer to stationary pc’s with those sizes.

On the pc side, smaller builds have become more popular throughout the years. Compared to the 90’s and early 2000’s, it does seem pc’s have shrunk (somewhat) in average size, whilest comsoles average size has grown.

This was expected, but it's nice to know for a fact that compression ratio will go up significantly with this, and so will bandwidth by a proportional amount. Sony didn't talk about it in the road to ps5 most probaby because it was not yet announced by radgametools.

That 22GB/s makes a lot more sense with this, since it's preconditioning the texture to compress more with kraken.

You're assuming that Sony didn't already know about this and factor it into their calculations when stating 8-9GB/s. It stands to reason that they would have already known about it at the time of the PS5 reveal given the statement from the tweet "Sony has been evaluating Oodle Texture closely during dev".

Also if you look at the compression ratio's in the examples link, the non-RDO compressed textures aren't getting anywhere close to ~60% compression ratio that Sony is claiming for PS5. For that you'd need to be using RDO already at an average Lambda of about 20. Granted other data formats might skew the overall compression ratio one way or the other but given that Textures are a very large part of the steamed data, I can't see Sony being able to achieve the claimed ~60% compression ratio while non-RDO compressed textures are universally coming in much higher than that with Kraken compression alone.

You're assuming that Sony didn't already know about this and factor it into their calculations when stating 8-9GB/s. It stands to reason that they would have already known about it at the time of the PS5 reveal given the statement from the tweet "Sony has been evaluating Oodle Texture closely during dev".

Also if you look at the compression ratio's in the examples link, the non-RDO compressed textures aren't getting anywhere close to ~60% compression ratio that Sony is claiming for PS5. For that you'd need to be using RDO already at an average Lambda of about 20. Granted other data formats might skew the overall compression ratio one way or the other but given that Textures are a very large part of the steamed data, I can't see Sony being able to achieve the claimed ~60% compression ratio while non-RDO compressed textures are universally coming in much higher than that with Kraken compression alone.
Btw, overall compression-rate should not be that good (also on xbox) if the textures get split into tiny little pieces so only needed data is loaded. Than every small texture-part will be compressed on it's own and that leads to less compression efficiency (much more overhead is generated).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back