Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2018]

It lacks a fast/intuitive way to go to the "home" twist.
Probably by clicking the central button on the controller and then A, but this would be an idiotic usability choice.

Still has navigation consistency issues, no way of navigating up or down.

Right Trigger is PAGE DOWN the first press. The second press its END.
Left Trigger is PAGE UP the first press. The second press its HOME.
BUMPERS are not mapped to anything.

They should map the RIGHT BUMPER and LEFT BUMPER to END and HOME respectively and have the TRIGGERS be consistent PAGE DOWN and PAGE UP.

It is listed as a "Home Experiment". So I'm not surprised by the navigation issues. I'm sure it will get refined as they go along.

BTW, I tried complaining about the GamerTag/profile name in the upper left corner of the Home Page. When you click on it you expect to go the Guide where you can look at your profile, log out or log somebody else in. Instead it sends you to home tab of the Guide & you still have to go left 4 times before you get there. :/ The Guide Button on the controller already goes there. So why do we need another way to do that? :/

Tommy

Lastly, Cortana via the headset is gone. Kinect Cortana is still there & the Xbox Skill for Cortana & Alexa devices is getting expanded. The original Xbox commands still work with Kinect.

So I did lose Cortana altogether. :/ It's not just for the headset. It's for Kinect as well. I had to turn off Digital Assistant support in order to use the older Xbox commands. Going to go back & try enabling them again to see if the original Xbox commands stay since I want to be able to use both. Guess I'm either moving the Harmon Kardon Invoke into the living room for my XB1X setup or I'm going to need to buy an Alexa device. I might need to do both. :(

Bummer all around though. Lost Kinect, lost Snap, lost TV & now lost Cortana. But we gained Mixer! LOL If it wasn't for Game Pass Ultimate I might consider the PC. Not really. Guess I'll just suffer. I'm already used to it.

Tommy McClain

Ridiculous in the modern world that products you buy for features can have those features taken away, materially changing them. The law about software needs to be completely re-evaluated to consider what modern 'patching' and 'updates' have become and where that leaves consumers regards not knowing what there purchase is going to be in a few years time.

Fallout from the aways on "deal with it" & TV TV TV. Love Phil but his "only gaming" mantra going forward has been at odds with what I liked about the Xbox One when I first got it. I understand that probably only affects myself and the first couple million of consoles sold & the rest of the owners have no idea what they lost since they never had it in the first place. :/ Let's hope they have better messaging & launch for next gen. Not sure I can handle another generation of losing features.

Tommy McClain

It's not just fall-out nor the XB1 though, but all products. You can buy a TV without menu adverts and then they get patched in afterwards, and there's nothing you can do about it. If it would be unacceptable for a company to physically change physical products without your consent, such as coming into your house and changing your 3 seat sofa into a 2 seat sofa or adding pink spots to your green curtains 14 months after you bought them, or extending the boot of your car 18 inches two years after you bought it, they shouldn't be allowed to change software without running it by consumers first. Software does not exist on a different ethical plane to the rest of the universe!

Ridiculous in the modern world that products you buy for features can have those features taken away, materially changing them. The law about software needs to be completely re-evaluated to consider what modern 'patching' and 'updates' have become and where that leaves consumers regards not knowing what there purchase is going to be in a few years time.
Where is the OtherOS style outrage and lawsuit? The features Xbox One has lost were easily used by far more people than bought a PS3 for Linux...

Where is the OtherOS style outrage and lawsuit? The features Xbox One has lost were easily used by far more people than bought a PS3 for Linux...

Completely agree, maybe in this day and age far more are fine with the just "deal with it" aspect. Or maybe it's alright since it wasn't removal of Linux, so no RMS or GPL Foundations to lead the lawsuits? Or because folks moved onto inexpensive mobile devices running more suitable OSes like iOS/Android so their game console is fine as long as it still plays games?

I'm not upset with the full removal of built-in voice commands because Cortana on XBox One was such extreme steaming piles of shit as to be unusable, to where built-in voice commands have been dead to me since the removal of Kinect commands. It also helps I have a cheap Echo Dot that has far better integration than Cortana.

As to the "Home Experiment", they need to get their head out of their collective ass and listen to actual community feedback from groups like Reddit. Normal users there have designed and mocked up exponentially better user interfaces than what we've been given.

Yup, I recently donated my XBO Day One edition console to Goodwill because it no longer does anything for which I originally bought it. I wasn't using it much anyway due to all the features I bought it for being gradually removed, so it wasn't a huge loss when I finally got rid of it.

But it does make me sad, because it did quite a few of those things quite well. Heck, I even bought the Xbox One Antenna thingy in order to get OTA TV and tuning. The only thing it really needed was a DVR function, but I never realistically expected it to get that functionality.

If I could have rolled back the OS to when it had everything I wanted, I would have done that in a heartbeat. Or if I could have just frozen it at that point. But wanting to have it online means that the OS is automatically updated.

Regards,
SB

It's not just fall-out nor the XB1 though, but all products. You can buy a TV without menu adverts and then they get patched in afterwards, and there's nothing you can do about it. If it would be unacceptable for a company to physically change physical products without your consent, such as coming into your house and changing your 3 seat sofa into a 2 seat sofa or adding pink spots to your green curtains 14 months after you bought them, or extending the boot of your car 18 inches two years after you bought it, they shouldn't be allowed to change software without running it by consumers first. Software does not exist on a different ethical plane to the rest of the universe!

I don't disagree, particularly with an example so egregious to patching in adverts to a TV sold without this useful 'feature', but I don't know how this would work practically.

Software is at the heart of so many things that this would impact a huge amount of software updates to purchases. You developed a game, right? I don't know what extent you support it, but many games get more than bug fixes they get tweaks, rebalancing and so on. But if an individual doesn't doesn't like the tweaks/rebalancing then their game has just changed without their consent. Now what if there is a simple to canvas interest in proposed changes past consumers and 55% say they love it and 45% say they don't, do you fork the codebase and offer both, or just give the 45% the option to opt-on. Three months later you find another bug but also want to release some new features, is this only for the 55% who who opted-in to your last changes, or are you going to go back and fix the bugs for the 45%, not introduce the features they didn't want, but offer them the most recent set of features?

Even if this was restricted to software to physical products, and I'm not sure I see any rationale for that (what about computers where the hardware is typically from somebody who is not making the OS), the most likely outcome is that you would get less updates and added features.

Who would decide whether any particular changes (adverts, updates to core apps like Netflix that may lose functionality) would be subject to opt-in, opt-out? I think it's a tricky problem to solve given manufacturers want to fix bug and security loopholes, genuinely want to improve products but don't want six hundreds forks of their codebase :yep2:

I agree it's a tricky problem. Effectively, when you buy a product, that's the version you bought. If it has bugs, you bought it with the bugs. If you don't like those bugs, you can return it for a refund. We presently hope and expect bugs to get fixed but they don't always, so I'm not sure one is entitled to buy a product that doesn't work and keep it and be entitled to it eventually being patched to work. That decision to keep it or return needs to be made for the item bought.

If we have it where a user has the right and access to use any version of the software back to when they bought it, then at any point they can restore exactly the product they bought. Things like security updates would have to be mandated into forks, I suppose, to not change the feature set or operation. Fixing bugs is completely different to changing features, so maybe patches should be bug fixes until a product is fixed, and then updates, and then bug fixes, and then updates? Perhaps if software development were held to account, it'd tighten up its processes and change. eg. Let's say TV OSes end up more modular and their OS developers have to make every feature opt in/out? We see this in Unity actually, with the latest version being broken down into modules that you can choose to include. Until there are significant financial costs in not supporting customers fairly, businesses will continue to treat software however they want. And with the issue of security patches, they can force everyone to update and then shaft them with addition of shite and removal of wanted features.

TV OS Patch Notes v5.31.224:
  • Fixed vulnerability to stop hackers stealing your bank details.
  • Added advert overlays on your TV viewing.
  • Removed voice control because we can't be arsed to maintain it any more.
Do you want to roll back to v5.31.212 and chance your bank account being raided? Details on the vulnerability are here for any hacker to look up and exploit, with detailed step-by-step descriptions on where and how to inject malicious code.

Not sure if this is the place to ask but has any insider heard any news on MS rolling out the DTS:X spatial sound app (general public build) for Xbox One X yet? I've read about the plan in January but nothing since then, or is it already released?

Not sure if this is the place to ask but has any insider heard any news on MS rolling out the DTS:X spatial sound app (general public build) for Xbox One X yet? I've read about the plan in January but nothing since then, or is it already released?
You mean for games? or for the blu ray player?
If the latter, pretty sure that's already supported.

You mean for games? or for the blu ray player?
If the latter, pretty sure that's already supported.
For the blu ray player. I mean I don't see any settings specific for DTS :X like it has for Dolby Atmos in the audio output setting, but I still do get DTS X passthrough via my soundbar as it shows up everytime it reads the signal. I guess it's already working then, just not very stated clearly in the audio settings on Xbox?

For the blu ray player. I mean I don't see any settings specific for DTS :X like it has for Dolby Atmos in the audio output setting, but I still do get DTS X passthrough via my soundbar as it shows up everytime it reads the signal. I guess it's already working then, just not very stated clearly in the audio settings on Xbox?
I believe as long as you set it to bitstream out; I think it should work for both. As you stated; your soundbar is reading it. Dolby atmos would work the same way; bitstream out.

I think for in-game audio only Dolby atmos is supported and I’m not sure if there are Dolby vision games. But both are supported features on blu ray as well

Guide customization is coming. The setting was leaked early. So they decided to just enable it today.

Guide-Customization-Option-1.png

Some of you discovered a Guide Tab reorder button with a recent update. We don’t want to keep you waiting, so we’ve turned it on early for feedback from Alpha Skip-Ahead users this yesterday. Let us know what you think!
Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10...ha-ring-1911-191023-1906/#CaD0W5cwDgM55jCm.99

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/25/xbox-insider-release-notes-alpha-ring-1911-191023-1906/

Here's the original leak on Reddit...

Tommy McClain

Back