Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2017]

I was slumming through the Xbox Insiders forums (such horrible forum software) and came across a post talking about why the classic Xbox Voice commands no longer function everywhere (submenus for instance or "xbox select"), while Cortana Voice commands do work.

--------------------------------
I just got a detailed response from someone on reddit who seems to know his stuff.

"This is well understood and yes by intentional design.

The voice navigation of the Xbox System UI and Apps in this release has moved forward to the common windows Voice Enabled Shell OneCore technology stack allowing UWP apps to be able to be controlled with voice navigation.

You are absolutely able to navigate the Xbox System UI (home, collection, guide, etc) and many apps using Voice Enabled Shell once you opt into use of Cortana.

If you have actively chosen to opt out of Cortana and not use the modern OneCore speech stack, you are choosing to use the legacy voice commands on a legacy speech stack which does not support the modern apps and voice navigation. We have kept those legacy commands around for minority set of users who prefer the more limited legacy commands sets. That legacy stack is technically blocked from supporting voice commands in UWP apps. So yes if you have opted out of Cortana, you now have also opt'd out of voice navigation in the shell. If you want voice navigation in the shell and apps, it is available by opting into Cortana.

We know churn in the feature set that users become accustom to is sometimes disconcerting. We always try to keep similar if not improved functionality is avail as the featureset churns, and we do so in the interest of the best functionality to the majority of our users. In this case we're enabling the option for 1st and 3rd party UWP apps to have voice navigation in their apps...while also moving the shell apps forward to focus on a high quality user experience on Xbox (reduced memory footprint, faster UI, etc) and a single accessibility and voice navigation solution that works across Xbox, Windows, HoloLens, etc...making it more likely that 3rd party apps will invest in a single great solution for our users"

They've been doing alpha releases every few days for what seems like the last month or two. I do not envy their work schedule.

That sounds like a normal work schedule to me, Monday through Friday. :p

Yet another build for the Insiders dashboard ring is going out today. Looks like this is focusing on fixing audio glitches with Dolby Atmos.

Sound & Settings:
• Various fixes solving enabling Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, error codes in settings, mitigates no-audio issues with ERA games, and makes Blu-ray passthrough work with all known devices.
• Users with 2017 LG TVs should no longer encounter no sound when enabling Atmos settings on the TV.

I'm curious, does anyone have a copy of Modern Warfare 3 360 that they can test BC on? I'd really like to know if the game has be enhanced to ~4k on the Xbox One X (or even 1080p!)

Unless they've announced it, all it should have for now is just texture filtering improvements. If they follow the enhancement MO thus far, it'd be supersampled to 3072 x 1800 though (also retaining 2xMSAA).

Unless they've announced it, all it should have for now is just texture filtering improvements. If they follow the enhancement MO thus far, it'd be supersampled to 3072 x 1800 though (also retaining 2xMSAA).

If it was enhanced I'd honestly be tempted to get the machine. Silly I know, but I played that game to death.

Back