AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow almost as if Lisa said that, what, three times already?
The relevant part here is that Radeon VII is the high end option for AMD for the remainder of 2019, Navi is going to be a mainstream solution only.

In gaming, we successfully returned to the high-end market with the launch of our Radeon™ VII GPU in February 2019 and we are on track to introduce our next-generation “Navi” GPUs for the mainstream market later this year.
https://videocardz.com/80709/amd-confirms-radeon-navi-and-3rd-gen-ryzen-available-in-q3-2019

The relevant part here is that Radeon VII is the high end option for AMD for the remainder of 2019, Navi is going to be a mainstream solution only.
That was mentioned by Lisa Su at least twice, too. Already in April ("It is 7nm Navi, but it will be positioned below... our Radeon VII is positioned today")

I can't believe ROCm is almost relevant now.
The relevant part here is that Radeon VII is the high end option for AMD for the remainder of 2019
Well, they gotta push ROCm somehow before 2021, so here it is, cheapo $700 development board.
That was mentioned by Lisa Su at least twice, too. Already in April ("It is 7nm Navi, but it will be positioned below... our Radeon VII is positioned today")
She said price, let's not live the key pard out.
Although I wonder, how high would they price ~230mm^2 of N7 FinFETs.
These aren't really cheap.

Last edited:
Did you believe it would be priced below their current high end and outperform it?

Maybe not outperform it outright, but it might offer roughly similar gaming performance, with significantly lower compute performance, especially in FP64 or bandwidth-intensive workloads.

Did you believe it would be priced below their current high end and outperform it?

You mean like we saw with the Vega 64 coming after the Vega FE? GTX 980 faster than Titan Black? GTX 1080 faster than Titan X (Maxwell)?

Pretty much every single N gen high-end card being faster and cheaper than N-1 gen top-end card from the same IHV?

I don't think this will be the case with 2019 Navi because I think Lisa Su already said Radeon VII would be AMD's higher-end offering for 2019.
But if AMD had a high-end Navi without high DP throughput, using e.g. 384bit GDDR6 or 3 HBM2 stacks, architectural improvements and higher 7nm optimization, then it would probably cost less than the Radeon VII.

Yeah the Manhattan score are weird...

D7AYM3JXYAAt5Xy.png

I know i know, I'm just saying than Manhattan is not a very good indication about performances, since we only have vsync (on screen) performances for the navi sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back