The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2018 edition

I'll bet my soul this isn't the case, too often PR people get those things wrong and only later correct themselves to 1080/60 and 4k/30. Unless the visuals suffer massively in the end.
Yea possibly. I'll wait and see:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/10/gears-of-war-e3-2018/

Because it’s Gears, you can play solo or with friends in local split-screen or online co-op, all at 4K Ultra HD resolution with stunning HDR at a smooth 60 frames per second on Xbox One X.

This could be just misleading English to be fair. But without having to be a lawyer, I would read this at 4K HDR @ 60fps.

You've got no reason not to at this point.

As long as I have Gamepass though. Been coasting on freebies. Later this week I will either have to pay or just buy Sea of Thieves outright. The 6 months deal at Amazon for $30 is tempting. Would allow me to save for buying RDR2 with my stash of Microsoft credit. Hmm.

This was the biggest announcement to me, and people so far seem to be glossing over it. Getting third party agreements for Game Pass, even if not "launch day" is still pretty huge, IMO, for MS and it's vision of Game Pass. Fallout 4 and The Division going into Game Pass is a pretty big deal.

Yeah very big deal. Been really surprised so far with its continued gains. Its going to be great to see how it does for the holiday.

Tommy McClain

This could be just misleading English to be fair. But without having to be a lawyer, I would read this at 4K HDR @ 60fps.

4k/60 would be great with a 4k/30 ultra setting for the promotional stills and people that don't really care about having good gameplay. It'll look and play better at 60 Hz. While it's on the slower side as a shooter, it still has enough motion that higher framerates will lead to more detail being seen while in action. As well, even at the relatively slower pace of a Gears game, 60 Hz is still a massive improvement over 30 Hz with regards to control and gameplay.

Regards,
SB

4k/60 would be great with a 4k/30 ultra setting for the promotional stills and people that don't really care about having good gameplay. It'll look and play better at 60 Hz. While it's on the slower side as a shooter, it still has enough motion that higher framerates will lead to more detail being seen while in action. As well, even at the relatively slower pace of a Gears game, 60 Hz is still a massive improvement over 30 Hz with regards to control and gameplay.

Regards,
SB
This seems likely the situation. Having 4K60 doens't mean ultra settings, but 4K30 could be very high on graphical settings.

As long as I have Gamepass though. Been coasting on freebies. Later this week I will either have to pay or just buy Sea of Thieves outright. The 6 months deal at Amazon for $30 is tempting. Would allow me to save for buying RDR2 with my stash of Microsoft credit. Hmm.

Yeah very big deal. Been really surprised so far with its continued gains. Its going to be great to see how it does for the holiday.

Tommy McClain
Best part of the conference was validating the value of game pass. Several of my friends just subbed for 2 years.

For the uninitiated it would be misleading, but we are the initiated aren't we:)? This straight up interprets to me as a 60fps mode and a 4k mode but all at HDR. The 1X didn't all of a sudden become a 12 TF Scarlet overnight.

Tunic was my game of the Show. Strong interest in that title. Looks special.

This game has been lurking for a long time on Steam. Prior to 'TUNIC' it used to be called 'Secret Legend' and is due out in 2019 but that date's been pretty fluid. Google 'Secret Legend' and you'll find previews and dev interviews going back years. I think it's a one man dev studio.

I hope it actually gets released. :yes:

For the uninitiated it would be misleading, but we are the initiated aren't we:)? This straight up interprets to me as a 60fps mode and a 4k mode but all at HDR. The 1X didn't all of a sudden become a 12 TF Scarlet overnight.
No I disagree there's very little to misinterpret here.
solo or with friends in local split-screen or online co-op, all at 4K Ultra HD resolution with stunning HDR at a smooth 60 frames per second on Xbox One X.
Let me convert this to math language:
for all solo, split screen on X1X: 4K + HDR @ 60 FPS

No I disagree there's very little to misinterpret here.
solo or with friends in local split-screen or online co-op, all at 4K Ultra HD resolution with stunning HDR at a smooth 60 frames per second on Xbox One X.
Let me convert this to math language:
for all solo, split screen on X1X: 4K + HDR @ 60 FPS
I think it's still worth some skepticism, but it's also worth bearing in mind the progress of UE4.

I think it's still worth some skepticism, but it's also worth bearing in mind the progress of UE4.
i have no doubts about skepticism as being fair, I'm okay with it. I just don't think you can read the statement any other way.

So either they're flat out lying to us, or there's another way to get 60fps @ 4K. Whether it be downgraded visuals, dynamic, checkerboarded etc.
Leaving some additional room for the fact that people should recall that X1X is less than 1 year old and these are titles likely optimized/built ground up for X1X where previously for the last year of releaseds they weren't.

edit: let me clarify.
If you took 100,000 people to read that sentence, how many would walk away saying, yup that means 1080p/60 and 4k/30

1080p and 30 frames per second as words aren't even present in that sentence.

Last edited:
Another nice list of the titles Microsoft showed...

7pmfhio6ic311.png

Tommy McClain

i have no doubts about skepticism as being fair, I'm okay with it. I just don't think you can read the statement any other way.

So either they're flat out lying to us, or there's another way to get 60fps @ 4K. Whether it be downgraded visuals, dynamic, checkerboarded etc.
Leaving some additional room for the fact that people should recall that X1X is less than 1 year old and these are titles likely optimized/built ground up for X1X where previously for the last year of releaseds they weren't.

Certainly. Ultragpu's initial concern was PR fumbling because they're usually not technically inclined, so they misinterpret things said by the engine/tech employees.

But yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to use temporal supersampling/reconstruction to achieve the claims. (debatable what 4K can mean given the intracacies of the pipeline, but uh... that's another discussion).

Last edited:
Certainly. Ultragpu's initial concern was PR fumbling because they're usually not technically inclined, so they misinterpret things said by the engine/tech employees.

But yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to use temporal supersampling/reconstruction to achieve the claims. (debatable what 4K can mean given the intracacies of the pipeline, but uh... that's another discussion).
agreed.

I would just hold MS to it ;)
Either we call it out as a flat out mistake/error/lie.
Or they commit to delivering 4K@60.

But I don't want people reading that line, and MS thinking it's okay to interpret that line as 1080/60 or 4K30

Ninja Theory talks about why they joined Microsoft...

Tommy McClain

That sounds like a good deal! I really like Ninja Theory, I can't even imagine what the current team can do with a proper budget! Hellblade is awesome and I'm glad I bought and played at release :yes:

Dynamic simulated weather is definitely a plus. Could do with being in many games I imagine as the next step beyond time-of-day.
Update:
https://wccftech.com/forza-horizon-4-seasons-last-week/
Seasons last 1 week in the game. Each week is a new season.
Servers support 72 players now, always online title I think. Not sure if gold is required, I'm going to assume for co-op/party it may.

The world of Forza Horizon 4 is the same size as Australia (in Forza Horizon 3) but rendered in four different ways. It’s a whole lot work than we normally did.

Here’s the really neat thing that I haven’t spoken too much about yet. It’s a shared world game, everyone is living in the same world at the same time, so everybody is synchronized. We’re sharing the same experiences. Seasons last a week of real time and then they will move forward, Spring will become Summer, Summer will become Autumn et cetera. When that happens we’ll all go to explore the new season and discover the things that season has to offer in terms of driving experiences, gameplay and content.

One thing we’re talking about this week is that no two seasons are the same, obviously, but also no two Winters will be the same going forward, no two Springs will be the same et cetera. There will be a bunch of stuff that is constant, but there will also be a ton of new stuff with each new season because what this team is committed to doing is continuing to support the game after it ships this October, continuing to bring new content and the seasons are really a great vehicle for doing that.

Then again MS seem to be in the same boat with regards to now having basically 2 racing games as well, albeit under one broad umbrella. Forza (serious racing) and Forza Horizon (less serious open world racing).
I think two racing games is probably a requirement. Though not mega-multi-million sellers, driving games are unique and you have to have titles for gamers who want driving games or you'll definitely lose them to the rival. And you want to cover both sim and casual racing. The casual racing could maybe be left to the 3rd party, but in Forza Horizon's case, I don't think it really has a parallel.

Tommy McClain

I pulled the trigger on 12 months . Was $60 bucks and with bing rewards I will have another year or so worth of gamepass by the time it expires

You can stock upto 3 years on GamePass. Bestbuy has the same halfprice deal as Amazon too.

Back