CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Too bad the Blockchain Compute driver is pretty crappy for FE (other than for mining...). And there is no "compute" mode on recent drivers for FE (so, you're getting around 1450-1550 h/s with recent drivers)

What a racket!

$750 for a card that mines slightly better than a 1070 but has wonky drivers, needs gobs of tweaking to get working and cannot be colocated in the same machine as more than 1 other $750 inefficient card.

What a bargain! :)

^^ Please don't loose perspective ; It doesn't mine just slightly better than an 1070 , it mines just as fast as 4 x 1070s while using less power than 2 x 1070s

In a single algorithm it does perform this good true, but it is wise for anyone doing gpu mining to have some Vegas too.

LE : Or was wise. Now, with current prices it should be analyzed a bit more

Yeah...Monero was looking great for a few weeks. Not so much now. Essentially Vega is akin to an ASIC miner for CryptoNight, whereas GTX 1070 is good for Neoscrypt, Etash and Equihash.

Vega is better at Etash too (+ dual mining, haven't tried that; but it should be safe it's even better than Polaris @ that)

Of course not at this prices; you won't choose Vega over 1070 just for ETH.

But Cryptonight coins could rise again as well. Actually it's insane not to bet they won't; because ups and downs are what these coins are all about

What a racket!

$750 for a card that mines slightly better than a 1070 but has wonky drivers, needs gobs of tweaking to get working and cannot be colocated in the same machine as more than 1 other $750 inefficient card.

What a bargain! :)

You obviously didn't read this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/mining-xmr-monero-amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-cards-2050-hs_201259

They have three FE's running together producing 6,165 H/s on the XMR-STAK-AMD.

The 15 setup steps don't seem overly complicated.

As for your "mines slightly better than a 1070" comment I don't consider 2,055 H/s for the FE slightly better than the 761 H/s for the GTX 1070 but vastly better.

Vega is better at Etash too (+ dual mining, haven't tried that; but it should be safe it's even better than Polaris @ that)

Of course not at this prices; you won't choose Vega over 1070 just for ETH.

But Cryptonight coins could rise again as well. Actually it's insane not to bet they won't; because ups and downs are what these coins are all about

What is this talk about "Cryptonight coins" falling?

I started mining XMR last November when it was at $200. Now it is above $400.

https://www.coingecko.com/en/price_charts/monero/usd

You obviously didn't read this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/mining-xmr-monero-amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-cards-2050-hs_201259

They have three FE's running together producing 6,165 H/s on the XMR-STAK-AMD.

The 15 setup steps don't seem overly complicated.

As for your "mines slightly better than a 1070" comment I don't consider 2,055 H/s for the FE slightly better than the 761 H/s for the GTX 1070 but vastly better.

It costs double the 1070 but gives 2.7x the performance using your numbers. (This assumes you only want to mine XMR/CryptoNight)
If you want to compare apples-to-oranges let's use Whattomine to figure out something real quick.
I'll use Vega 56 since they don't have FE.

Highest ROI for Vega 56 right this moment: NiceHash at $8.45/day if you want to mine a coin to keep then Electroneum is generating $6.59
Highest ROI for 1070 right at this moment: GoByte at $6.52 or if you want to mine something more mainstream ZClassic comes in at $5.59.
So that 2.7x advantage is actually only a 29% increase when put to use generating real money.

You can combine 3 in one machine (I've read long threads of people struggling to get 2 working together, but ok) vs. 8 or more for 1070s.

So using those numbers from above 3x $8.45 = $25.35/day for a machine with $2250 worth of GPUs for a breakeven of 89 days with current pricing.
For the 1070s let's go with 6 instead of 8 just for fun so at $450 per card that's $2700 worth of GPUs generating 6x $6.52 = $39/day so breakeven at 69 days.

So, yes, there is a single crypto algorithm that Vega is particularly good with, but that doesn't overcome the GTX 1070 when it comes to real world application and ROI.

If I'm wrong somewhere, please show me.

What is this talk about "Cryptonight coins" falling?

They're definetelly not falling en masse ( as in influencing eachother) .

Now XMR is $360, so that puts a nail in its unhidered march to greatness.

But purely for mining's profit, one doesn;t care about the price of a given coin but how much one earnes instead (which depends both on the price and the ammount awarded to you in a given time window). Currently mining XMR yields about half $/day compared to december.

So why shouldn't there be talks of coin X falling vs coin Y ? (again most likely in the context of how much a miner earns rather than puerely about price)

LE : That said, it's perfectly ok to still mine XMR (unless you're mining for nicehash or whaterver else method that doesn't allow you to keep the coin).
Being less profitable than others, that way people will stay away from it, the dificulty will start to decrease and you will earn more XMR than you were when a lot of ppl were mining it for the profit.
When the price picks up again, you have a chance to sell your stuff, possibly earning even more than the people who jumped boats. Mining is fun also when not so obvious decisions like that turn out successul.

Last edited:
Good points entity and they underscore the importance of hardware that can handle multiple algos.

If you must own a single model of hardware, then it better handle multiple algorithms well enoungh.

But surprisingly, my intuition is otherwise opposite to yours. I feel it's better to own e.g. both Vegas for Cryptonight and Pascals for Neoscrypt ( and equihash, to a lesser extent). Ideally, you'd want to mine with each card its best performing algorithm.

If you must own a single model of hardware, then it better handle multiple algorithms well enoungh.

But surprisingly, my intuition is otherwise opposite to yours. I feel it's better to own e.g. both Vegas for Cryptonight and Pascals for Neoscrypt ( and equihash, to a lesser extent). Ideally, you'd want to mine with each card its best performing algorithm.

And this is, indeed, what I do with the exception of Vegas (I have 1070s and RX580s). In all honesty I'd likely have 2 or 3 RX Vegas if they were available. The FE@$750, however, doesn't make the cut for me.

Been doing some window shopping and basically all GPUs above 1050s and 550s are sold out everywhere.

That means people are building mining rigs with 1080/1080Tis!

Nuts.

Last time I've checked 1080Ti were competively priced vs the 1070s . The Ti can't mine Ethereum efficiently, but you do need less risers, less space to achieve the same hashing power for algorithm. You mine Equihash and Neoscrypt with it. ZCash is a safe coin to mine always (as safe as coins like Monero are) and there are 2-3 Neoscrypt coins that have been really profitable in the last two months.

Also the 1080Ti is the best non-Titan gaming card. A 1080Ti 2xSLI gaming desktop that pays for itself is what many smart gamers could go for

Last time I've checked 1080Ti were competively priced vs the 1070s . The Ti can't mine Ethereum efficiently, but you do need less risers, less space to achieve the same hashing power for algorithm. You mine Equihash and Neoscrypt with it. ZCash is a safe coin to mine always (as safe as coins like Monero are) and there are 2-3 Neoscrypt coins that have been really profitable in the last two months.

Also the 1080Ti is the best non-Titan gaming card. A 1080Ti 2xSLI gaming desktop that pays for itself is what many smart gamers could go for

That's pretty much the boat I'm in. I won't buy a card that I wouldn't want to be "stuck with" if the cryptoboom busts. It's a low-risk/low-reward strategy, but I'm OK with that.

I'm hoping that, at worst, 1080ti availability is better by the time I've accumulated enough assets to exchange for one or, at best, that Nvidia's next consumer range gets released by then.

It makes sense from the pay-for-my-gaming-hardware perspective, but the breakeven points for these cards is long so people building 8-gpu mining rigs are gambling a fair bit.

It makes sense from the pay-for-my-gaming-hardware perspective, but the breakeven points for these cards is long so people building 8-gpu mining rigs are gambling a fair bit.

Multipool mining Equihash was really really profitable on Nvidia there for a while and is still pretty lucrative. I was consistently hitting over $14.00 a day (GPU only) on my 2 PCs at the peak. This with a 1080, 1060 and 1050ti.

Edit: Actually, just looked and it's back up there now. Also, I don't disagree with your argument that that level of investment is a risk, but that risk is currently being rewarded with the fact that Nvidia crushes Equihash, the 1080ti especially so, and Equihash is very profitable *right now*. There's an opportunity to make a lot of money in the short term.

Last edited:
Back