CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Btw, people, has anyone noticed their XMR hahrate (massively) dropping with the recent Meltdown patches? Seen such a report for a Debian user.

Are you referring to this?
If this is true, the slowdown is way bigger than expected. From what I heard, Meltdown mainly slows code that frequently changes between user mode and kernel mode. And I thought the there was nothing of the sort in CryptoNote.

Well, someone should disprove that yeah.

I'm possibly just a week away from the completion of my new desktop, so won't bother until then

I've now started to mine with my Titan V. Currently mining Zcash with it, along with CPU mining Monero on the Xeons. Getting 900 Sol/s with stock clocks.

Contrary to what most people on the forums seem to say, I find Titan V an excellent choice for mining if you can afford it. Because not only do you get the best performance and efficiency, this card is also expected to have a pretty good resell value. The actual TCO can be surprisingly low on these.

I'm interested in your Titan V math. I recall its hashrate is about 80 MH/s ETH or a bit less than 3x GTX 1070s.

I guess it depends on your resale point, but you're going to optimistically generate about $300/month so you've got a 10-month breakeven vs. < 5-months for 1070s.

So if you go twenty months that's a $3000 profit on the Titan V and > $4500 for similar 1070s.

Can you get $1500+ for a nearly 2-year-old Titan V? Actually, can you get $1500 more than 3x used 1070?

^^

I guess, for 1-2 cards there's not that much at stake anyway and you can't go terribly wrong with anything. (worse case, you get a portion of your purchase back but you still own a Titan)

Let's give someone say $20K USD instead and see what GPUs she'd buy. I doubt that hypotetical person will still return with bags full of TitanVs from the supermarket.

I'm interested in your Titan V math. I recall its hashrate is about 80 MH/s ETH or a bit less than 3x GTX 1070s.

I guess it depends on your resale point, but you're going to optimistically generate about $300/month so you've got a 10-month breakeven vs. < 5-months for 1070s.

So if you go twenty months that's a $3000 profit on the Titan V and > $4500 for similar 1070s.

Can you get $1500+ for a nearly 2-year-old Titan V? Actually, can you get $1500 more than 3x used 1070?

At least according to this the single GPU Titans have a history of keeping their value. And I don't really see this changing with this model. This one being a real GPGPU workhorse suitable for AI and HPC workloads. Come two years I'd MUCH rather have a couple of Titan V's rather than a pile of worthless gaming cards.

Like entity279 said, there's not much risk involved. Quite unlike the situation where I was a couple of years back with my Bitcoin ASICs, which were rather useless heaters after six months of mining.

Forget Bitcoin - now Dogecoin goes wild
It was launched in 2013, inspired by a short-lived online craze for pictures of a particular Japanese dog breed.
Last weekend, however, it nearly doubled in value and is now worth more than $2bn (£1.5bn).

In 2014, US stock car racing became a surprise beneficiary, when members of the Dogecoin community decided to give a helping hand to Nascar driver Josh Wise, donating $55,000 worth of the digital currency.

That same year, Dogecoin backers raised $25,000 to send the Jamaican bobsleigh team to the winter Olympics.
Sporting underdogs have clearly done well out of Dogecoin, but what about investors? Will they be barking up the wrong tree if they buy into the currency?

Well, one thing to bear in mind is that dogecoins are far more numerous than bitcoins.
The rules underpinning Bitcoin say that only 21 million bitcoins can be created - and that figure is getting ever nearer. It is unclear what will happen to the value of bitcoins when that limit is reached.

Dogecoins are "mined" in the same way as bitcoins - that is, they are created using computer processing power.
However, unlike Bitcoin, there is no upper limit on the number of dogecoins that can be produced, with a staggering 100 billion already in existence.
That helps to explain why each dogecoin is currently worth less than two US cents, while Bitcoin's peak value to date was nearly $20,000.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42602038

Ethereum has no number limit either, nor many other altcoins.

Ugh, forgive me for saying so, but this is what I find the most repugnant about this whole cryptoBS business; the hunt for maximum quick gain based on nothing but rampant greed. To me, it smacks of nothing short of deliberate grifting, in roughly the same vein as "a fool and his money..."; IE, get, while the getting is good. We see how well that has worked in the real world (just look at the state of this planet); it'll go down just about as well in the digital world as well no doubt.

I
hey when your trying to pay for a wedding and a house anythign that makes you money is a good thing lol. But anyway i just mine when i'm not playing games. Does it use power ? yes but i've gotten down to just over 100w at 36.7MH/s for eth and i could be doing other things that pollute the world more than this. I am sure doing uber rides would end up polluting more and i want to maximize the amount i get for the power i use

Hate to say it but I agree with eastmen.
As a 50-year-old, PhD, 20-year-C-suite-person I am basically unemployable now that I'm in a wheelchair. I started mining when I started consulting in order to make money to, you know, pay my mortgage an my absurd out-of-pocket medical expenses ($60k USD this year). Crypto hasn't generated all that much (I'm up maybe $6k USD between trades and mining since last June), but it certainly helps as I build my consulting business. Did I mention that family health insurance will cost me $30k this year?

For what it's worth, I made a vow to only mine during winter, meaning I'll only spend this energy warming the house when I use it.

I'll absolutely refuse to mine during the summer and have to turn the AC on just to compensate for it.

So why on earth then are people mining it (and buying/selling it)? :D

The ability to automatically find some random guys to verify/confirm your transaction or contract is something people find valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CES 2018: Kodak soars on KodakCoin and Bitcoin mining plans
Shares in photo firm Eastman Kodak soared nearly 120% after it revealed plans to mint its own crypto-currency, the KodakCoin.
The US firm said it was teaming up with London-based Wenn Media Group to carry out the initial coin offering (ICO).
It is part of a blockchain-based initiative to help photographers control their image rights.
Kodak also detailed plans to install rows of Bitcoin mining rigs at its headquarters in Rochester, New York.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42630136

Back