The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To build that GPU, he will need IP. I doubt he will want to cobble things out of Nvidia license leftovers.

Can we also admit that Fusion/APU as envisioned by AMD during ATI purchase is largely stillborn? It might have made sense when Moore’s law was in full swing, but in the age of process stagnation, where once-monolithic designs are getting chopped up, cramming CPU and GPU into the same die is going to be a non-starter in most cases. Mixing and matching via high-speed interconnect leads to cheaper designs and much more flexibility.

I guess it will be time to watch closely to see if anyone else leaves the Radeon engineering division to join Intel, some surely would be joining to work again for Raja.
Fingers crossed AMD did not screw up on any cross-licensing/IP agreements.

If Intel wished to buy the Radeon division, I assume this would need signing off by the AMD board and also shareholders?
If they did not involve major shareholders I could see the executives being replaced at their next election that could still have ramifications for them if they try to join in a senior role at another major tech company.
That is ignoring the quagmire of which divisions of AMD would "own" which IP and how this works if they separated; that could take a long time to untangle both divisions in a satisfactory way, especially as what is left of AMD would still be in direct competition with Intel - one reason I am not sure if major shareholders would necessarily agree unless Intel provided very large sweeteners to any deal (and still may not be enough).

So I tend to think Intel is more likely to build a strong team rather than try and buy Radeon group outright, I guess some of this depends how much flexibility they have with IP and cross licensing.

Last edited:
Meh. If Intel actually releases a high-end GPU and without immediately exiting the GPU market again after a change in plans, I'll eat a hat.
That wording is a bit confused. It says expand the integrated market with high end discrete graphics. That would make him Chief Gluer I think.
In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments.
That reads as more of the current design. Just with the possibility of bigger chips and eventually better integration. Memory systems likely key there.

That wording is a bit confused. It says expand the integrated market with high end discrete graphics. That would make him Chief Gluer I think.

That reads as more of the current design. Just with the possibility of bigger chips and eventually better integration. Memory systems likely key there.

Yes, when put that way it could just mean he'll be in charge of the team doing integration of AMD GPUs (or any other GPU IP). And as you said potentially with bigger chips and better integration.

Still leaves open the possibility they'll develop their own GPU. But it makes sense for them to just license the GPU from AMD. In that case, it makes a lot of sense for both Intel and AMD for Raja to be there.

I'm not convinced this is the case, but it seems far more likely than Intel getting into the discrete GPU market.

Regards,
SB

Who knows what they'll do, but to me it says that they will really improve their IGPs and also make discrete videocards.

But why stop at the current design?

They just need to thread carefully because the whole “this product will not compete with ours” comes dangerously close to a market segmentation arrangement aka “forming a cartel” and is highly illegal. The “executive exchange tour” wouldn’t help matters.

This is more than just "Chief Gluer".
Intel are looking to target Nvidia in the compute side of HPC meaning going up against Tesla in HPC/analytics/etc, along with also expanding graphics capabilities (could target Quadro and GRID that has great potential).
In other words the money is more likely they will do a similar setup to what Nvidia has; Tesla and also a high performance-enthusiast consumer discrete GPU - think of how they take Xeon and create enthusiast E series for consumers.
Yeah if they price it as silly as E series then it would not sell that well but ignoring price I would say this is the scope of what they intend to do and eventually feed down the consumer ladder, along with possibly expanding the EMIB glueing aspect up and down the product line.

The only reason to rationalise it to be Chief Gluer is that it protects AMD and Nvidia from another competitor, but Intel is one of the most aggressive companies out there in the tech world.
Anyway Intel mention the focus is both data and graphics (along with discrete GPU), and this is much more than just an EMIB or gluing solution.

Intel announcement:
Billions of users today enjoy computing experiences powered by Intel’s leading cores and visual computing IP. Going forward under Koduri’s leadership, the company will unify and expand differentiated IP across computing, graphics, media, imaging and machine intelligence capabilities for the client and data center segments, artificial intelligence, and emerging opportunities like edge computing.
“We have exciting plans to aggressively expand our computing and graphics capabilities and build on our very strong and broad differentiated IP foundation. With Raja at the helm of our Core and Visual Computing Group, we will add to our portfolio of unmatched capabilities, advance our strategy to lead in computing and graphics, and ultimately be the driving force of the data revolution.”

Where Xeon Phi will sit in all of this will be interesting, or it may end up as a radical evolution or eventually EOL.
Also seems they may be hinting they can build their own IP foundation relating to computing/GPU, maybe they are confident they can overcome the licensing/IP/patents of both AMD and Nvidia in the longer term - could be reading too much into that myself though as for now it can mean many things.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this... an Intel discrete graphics card. What was the old one? The i740? I wonder what motivated them more graphics or compute?
Wow on Raja joining Intel... well I guess we'll see just what he can do with a lot of resources.
Well I guess Intel is serious about the AI market. I hope Xenon Phi will still have some demand, although I guess they don't completely overlap with the GPU compute market. (or do they?)
I guess intel will improve Intel's integrated to be on par with AMD's integrated solutions.
I wonder what this will eventually do to the GPU market? Will the market be able to support three players? Are they betting RTG will fail and they will be able to pick it up on the cheap later?
Things are really getting interesting.

From AMD
"We have a very strong graphics team and will continue our focus on building great products. We also have industry-leading graphics IP and, if necessary, will vigorously defend it."

Well that speaks volumes on this announcement.

From AMD

Well that speaks volumes on this announcement.
Yep they will watch carefully to see if any product/concept/service breaks any IP/trade secrets Raja and any other engineers who join Intel from AMD.
That said they already do this because they would carefully watch those that moved to Nvidia (some examples given earlier), and Nvidia would do the same with influential engineers that go to AMD/Intel (examples given earlier).
As I mentioned if any engineer breaks their NDA's/IP-trade secret knowledge contracts when moving company then the repercussions are massive; court order to cease said product/services/concept against the new company to begin with and ending up with a hefty compensation claim with other penalties also thrown in.

However fingers crossed AMD did not screw up on any cross-licensing/IP agreement between the two companies as it may give Intel a bit of leeway.
The top tech companies are aware of all this when employing an influential employee from another tech company and so are very careful weighing risk with R&D approach; this is based upon my own experience working with R&D-product engineers and collaborations/joint partnerships with other tech/emerging companies.

Your right though AMD may be a bit ruffled with this, or it could be just to reassure investors.

Last edited:
I was talking with some folks about this and they mentioned that if Intel was serious about a discrete GPU division they would have scooped up all the ImgTech people when they could have. My current working theory is that Intel has wanted to get in to the discrete graphics and more multi-threaded applications but they didn't have someone to make it all work, until AMD shafted Raja which is what gave someone at Intel the bright idea to make an IP deal with AMD and get Raja as part of it and BOOM, you got a chance at making a discrete graphics division that can compete today.

If Intel were planning to do this whole hog they would have picked up the ImgTech people, I don't think they thought of this until AMD harshed Raja and then the pieces just fell together. I think AMD messed up by under appreciating Raja value, and now they're in a bit of a panic mode.

Has anyone heard anything out of them besides that one comment? I've been trying to find anything out and all I'm hearing are crickets, I don't think AMD has figured out quite how to handle this which makes me think they didn't see it coming.

Again, just all conjecture and mental masturbation...but we all got to have our hobbies! :p

What would really blow my mind is if they enter into a cross development agreement somewhat similar to what Intel has with Micron Technology with regards to NAND. Although I think Intel may be less involved with that now than they used to be.

Regards,
SB

I was talking with some folks about this and they mentioned that if Intel was serious about a discrete GPU division they would have scooped up all the ImgTech people when they could have.
What's the timeline for when Intel had the chance to pick up IMG, specifically?
Are we also using the narrative about Koduri's threat to pack things up and go to Intel, back when RTG formed?

For one thing, pickup of a team is facilitated by hiring execs or senior staff that know who to poach, although in IMG's case the party doing that was Apple--whose displeasure is a speculated reason for the Intel/AMD hybrid product. Also, IMG doesn't strictly play in the discrete GPU market of today.

Intel did just hire someone who can poach people with far more relevance, however.

My current working theory is that Intel has wanted to get in to the discrete graphics and more multi-threaded applications but they didn't have someone to make it all work, until AMD shafted Raja which is what gave someone at Intel the bright idea to make an IP deal with AMD and get Raja as part of it and BOOM, you got a chance at making a discrete graphics division that can compete today.
If we go by the HOCP narrative, Koduri was granted a rather significant amount of leeway and autonomy--potentially even forgiveness for what amounts to a declaration of mutiny.
It is possible that even then AMD didn't give enough in the end for what he wanted, but that's not to say a VP in charge of a division that he allegedly had the autonomy to maneuver into selling to Intel (while he helped make a movie?) was cheated.

RTG and Koduri did talk a big game for a while, and it seems like in AMD's constrained state and despite potentially serious conflicts (again, alleged mutiny threat) they did give him a chance to roll the dice.

I think AMD messed up by under appreciating Raja value, and now they're in a bit of a panic mode.
Appreciation is a feeling doesn't create funding or operational authority. He might have wanted to do more than AMD had resources to support. Maybe big talk to results delivered ratio didn't match the magnitude of his asking price.

I've been trying to find anything out and all I'm hearing are crickets, I don't think AMD has figured out quite how to handle this which makes me think they didn't see it coming.

According to some rumors, this specific threat is as old as the RTG.
One interesting thing I recall was Koduri's absence during the later Vega events, due to a wedding in India. I remember someone tweeted he was coming back some evening, and someone tweeted back a picture of him driving around in the US from earlier in the day. Possibly funny internal miscommunication with a PR person, or perhaps a sign of a different type of travel going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back