Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference for HDR is really going to come down to the quality of the HDR on the tv itself. HDR implementation is getting better every year. Peak brightness, and the tonemapping implementation of the tv are going to have a huge impact, not to mention calibration or the mode selected on the tv.

I didn't realize you could turn HDR off in Xbox settings. So, I could compare HDR vs non HDR on the same TV.

Pretty massive difference to say the least. Definitely cant agree with some on GAF saying the difference is overrated or barely there, etc.

ALTHOUGH I could easily see HDR (on my set anyway) being described as "overstaturated" or "cartoony". Again far from videophile, so I cant say what is supposed to be oversaturated and what not. I know reviews would always complain Samsung phone displays were oversaturated...

Also I corrected the Forza slider thing, the issue was I wasn't darkening the 1 box on the 1st slider per instruction. Once I did that I could easily make the logo disappear on the brightness box. i imagine this little mini calibration helped on that game.

I'd be pretty dang happy with this TV as a $349 stopgap if I could get my game mode concerns (which are hard to explain, but basically I'm not convinced it's fully active, as on this TV you have to turn game mode on then in HDr content it locks HDR mode, and you just have to believe it's in game mode then I guess) sorted. It could 1000% be placebo or a million other factors, but I wasn't doing particularly well in Destiny multiplayer on this set.

For $349 this TV is really gorgeous. Seems quite brighter than my old set too, no matter how it ranks in comparison to other HDR sets.

Oh but, off angle viewing indeed seems quite poor per reviews. I think even worse than I remember on my old TV. Not a huge concern, though.
Have you tweaked the picture settings at all? Usually the default mode is "Dynamic" or Vibrant", two of the worst offenders to picture quality and color accuracy. You wanna keep both the SDR and HDR viewing on either Movie or Custom mode where the colors, contrast, sharpness, noise level etc are all on moderate settings or simply have some of those fancy features turned off. Over saturation is normally associated with turning the color and contrast value way too high, not to be confused with Wide Color Gamut which is what you need to complement HDR. The higher the nits, the wider the color gamut produces high color volume and that is definitely a good thing. If your tv is a 10 bit panel with WCG then what you're seeing is definitely simply more color output than over saturation.

Contrast values way too high? That's funny because almost everybody (on the internets) sets these new TVs' contrast basically to Max.

Well, under normal conditions, HDR shouldn't really look "cartoony". Unless the material is meant to look cartoony.
Even in HDR, on some TVs, setting contrast to Max can clip highlights - which kinda defeats the point of bright highlights as it washes them out.

Contrast values way too high? That's funny because almost everybody (on the internets) sets these new TVs' contrast basically to Max.
Contrast at 90/100 is the maximum before things start to clip at least on my tv Z9D, some preset mode like Dynamic mode could set it to 100 which is not good. Of course, every TV's mode, highlight falloff ability and contrast level are all different but generally you don't want them to max out.

You may already know this, but for those who might not.

Setting the Contrast (White Level) setting to where it will make the TV try to display the max white value at a level that is higher than what the TV is actually capable of will result in the upper range of white values being shown exactly the same. So, if value 239 (video levels) is set to beyond what the TV can display then value 238 will be shown at the same brightness as 239 and potentially so will value 237 and so on until you hit a value with a set level of brightness that is finally slightly less than what the TV is capable of.

The Brightness (Black Level) operates similarly at the other end of the scale. You want to set it at the lowest value possible while still being able to distinguish the blackest black from the next to the blackest black.

From what I hear from my 4 friend who have entry level HDr sets, 2 with Samsung KU7000 and 2 with LG UH650t, is that HDR looks balnd and flat out of the box. One has to spend a good day finding th eoptimal settings where finally it look good and really different from the sdr. THats their words.
I will receive my KU7000 by next week and can experience it first hand. The guy who got 650t spent a good weekend tweaking settings and now he says the SDR and HDR modes in the games look worlds apart.

From what I hear from my 4 friend who have entry level HDr sets, 2 with Samsung KU7000 and 2 with LG UH650t, is that HDR looks balnd and flat out of the box. One has to spend a good day finding th eoptimal settings where finally it look good and really different from the sdr. THats their words.
I will receive my KU7000 by next week and can experience it first hand. The guy who got 650t spent a good weekend tweaking settings and now he says the SDR and HDR modes in the games look worlds apart.

Well, that wouldn't happen with a good TV [emoji12] #GoodTVmasterRace

Last edited:

looking at http://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare between UH6500 vs 6100...

what kind of magicalsetting did your friend use? It would help me a lot

For the life of me, i've tried to do a bunch of stuff with my UH 610T and all comes out as "meh". Tried the settings on Rtings, picture looks bad. In the end, the default "HDR Bright" with a wee bit of edit (colour moved to W1) looks best for me. Buuuuut, the difference from SDR is really miniscule.

I switched back and forth in Horizon Zero Dawn, in FFXV, in Uncharted 4. Bleh. HDR, SDR. all look so similar.

HDR results in a bit brighter sky, and more cartoon color.

You may already know this, but for those who might not.

Setting the Contrast (White Level) setting to where it will make the TV try to display the max white value at a level that is higher than what the TV is actually capable of will result in the upper range of white values being shown exactly the same. So, if value 239 (video levels) is set to beyond what the TV can display then value 238 will be shown at the same brightness as 239 and potentially so will value 237 and so on until you hit a value with a set level of brightness that is finally slightly less than what the TV is capable of.

The Brightness (Black Level) operates similarly at the other end of the scale. You want to set it at the lowest value possible while still being able to distinguish the blackest black from the next to the blackest black.

Thanks (u and LB), went and did some research and some say that most decent TVs even at max contrast settings won't clip at 235 and below (some won't clip even up to 255). So since the vast majority of video content is mastered at 16-235, a lot of TVs can get away with high contrast settings.

I guess if you have a PS4 or a PC hooked up and have everything set to Full RGB then you have to be a litle more careful about not clipping.

For the life of me, i've tried to do a bunch of stuff with my UH 610T and all comes out as "meh". Tried the settings on Rtings, picture looks bad. In the end, the default "HDR Bright" with a wee bit of edit (colour moved to W1) looks best for me. Buuuuut, the difference from SDR is really miniscule.

I switched back and forth in Horizon Zero Dawn, in FFXV, in Uncharted 4. Bleh. HDR, SDR. all look so similar.

Hey O, I think someone could really use your help at avsforum in the uh6100-6500 thread.

Have u tried...
https://picturesettings.com/lg-uh6100-led-tv-best-picture-settings/

Last edited:
I'd leave everything on Automatic. My new 4K BD player somehow outputs 12bit colour regardless but that's beside the point as 4k BD is Ycbcr anyway. The PS4 should be left on automatic. At this point, full and limited should be left completely in the hands of the hardware.

Wow, the UH6500 and UH6100 have an HDR peak brightness of 350-400 cd/m2 in a 10% window. I wouldn't be surprised if the tone-mapping curve basically just clips and you end up with a presentation that looks almost exactly like SDR. With such a low peak brightness, if they tone map by shifting everything else to a lower luminescence to preserve the highlights, the APL is going to be very low and it'll just be dark looking.

Wow, the UH6500 and UH6100 have an HDR peak brightness of 350-400 cd/m2 in a 10% window. I wouldn't be surprised if the tone-mapping curve basically just clips and you end up with a presentation that looks almost exactly like SDR. With such a low peak brightness, if they tone map by shifting everything else to a lower luminescence to preserve the highlights, the APL is going to be very low and it'll just be dark looking.

THIS

That's exactly what happens. This and WCG are what are giving me an upgrade itch. HDR on my TV can look OK in a dark room, but still....

Honestly, for all of you who are waiting for the 1X, just wait! It's natural that nice sets will fall into a more accessible price range.
It's a huge shame to get a TV that can't really display HDR properly. It can make images spectacular in a way that's hard to describe, which makes it even more difficult to convey if you haven't seen it.

Heck, even some HDR content can be a bit of a let down compared to really great HDR.

I'm happy to open a thread to discuss this and share recommendations on the quality of HDR games/movies, as well as perhaps shed some light on which games actually support it. Cause Sony ain't gonna do it for us.

I still haven't seen an hdr game. I'm pretty curious. Wondering how many games really take advantage of hdr and how they're designed around handling people with displays that have aggressive tone mappping. I'm curious enough to have an urge to spend thousands of dollars, but luckily enough I have the sense and willpower not to do it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back