Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

Switch is probably a custom bin of Nvidia's Shield/Pixel chip. Probably has the A53 cores enabled too, for background download / suspend / update etc. Though these are unlikely to ever be made available to developers, unless background game hosting becomes a thing ....

I'm expecting that Nintendo buy the chips direct from Nvidia and don't fab them themselves; that Nvidia had a hand in designing the main board (they've already been there, done that); that the API is based on Nvidia's existing work for Tegra; that Nintendo basically recognised that buying the processing technology for their platform from Nvidia was better than them half assing something themselves.

Nvidia get to re-use IP they've already spent money on, Nintendo get a ready made architecture and an API that already has a ton of preparatory background work done.

I think there will be no meaningful Nintendo performance enhancements at the chip level: there is no edram; no secret large pool of esram; no magic 2 x 64-bit LPDDR4 chips; no Denver cores being switched in for final hardware without developers being informed because (reasons).

It's almost certain we know what Switch is now. And it's a fine piece of gaming kit.

nintendo made the best moves they could by focusing on the market where they are still relevant, at the same time making something for there small dwindling home console market. they know the market has changed and competing with sony/Microsoft won't get them any where, the switch is a great portable console, the only problem is, it should be 250$.

Hey guys, what would you speculate Nintendo & Nvidia might do for an iterative Switch upgrade, and then a full second generation Switch further down the road?

Taking into account Nvidia's Tegra roadmap.

They did a spec bump with DSi and New3DS so who knows. Mobile hardware is still improving a lot every year, combined with the Switch acting as a home console as well I think stretching Switch lifetime to 6 years is rather long, even with an upgraded model in between. A slightly shorter generation and full BC for Switch games on Switch 2 might be better. 300 launch price and maybe a price drop to 250 next year might make a 3 ~ 4 year generation more palatable.

They did a spec bump with DSi and New3DS so who knows. Mobile hardware is still improving a lot every year, combined with the Switch acting as a home console as well I think stretching Switch lifetime to 6 years is rather long, even with an upgraded model in between. A slightly shorter generation and full BC for Switch games on Switch 2 might be better. 300 launch price and maybe a price drop to 250 next year might make a 3 ~ 4 year generation more palatable.

This is true, but 3DS was using technology that was a solid 4 years old with significantly underclocked CPU. Switch is only a solid two years old with significantly underclocked CPU. With n3DS Nintendo had enough room to both improve battery life despite greatly expanding the specs. With Switch I'm not so sure, and you really hit diminishing returns with the practical observable improvements brought on by spec bumps.

I could see them prioritizing on getting power consumption and price down instead.

Yup.

Switch is probably a custom bin of Nvidia's Shield/Pixel chip. Probably has the A53 cores enabled too, for background download / suspend / update etc. Though these are unlikely to ever be made available to developers, unless background game hosting becomes a thing ....

I...

The devs kit documentation said that 3 core were available for gaming, no ? So I guess, no, the A53s are not enabled. If they were, why lock 1 "big core" for the background task / OS ... ?

But, they're is not indication of A53 being enabled, why thinking they are ? They're not enabled on any X1 device... And come on, they're is no "secret sauce" with the Switch...

If they're on die, they may as well be used, no? Or possibly they are just turned off.

And still nVidia never enabled them. I agree with you in a sense that it's kind of a waste, but it is what it is. And if Nintendo is using one "big core" for the OS stuff, then I guess they have not enabled them for the Switch either. Who knows, maybe their is a bug in the big/little implantation of the X1, and nVidia never corrected it because it was not worth it ?

For the A53 cores to work alongside the A57s then NV would have had to solve their cache coherency issues with TX1 which would be a major customisation for Nintendo. If they had though why reserve any cores from the A57 cluster at all?

The devs kit documentation said that 3 core were available for gaming, no ? So I guess, no, the A53s are not enabled. If they were, why lock 1 "big core" for the background task / OS ... ?

I'm thinking you'd have one A57 core reserved when you're up and running, and switch over to the A53 cores when the system is "off" so you could download / update / suspend to emmc on minimal power. You wouldn't use both sets at the same time.

Having to have your Switch on to download would waste playing time and battery power. Transparently suspending a game to flash when sleeping and the battery gets low would be very useful too.

I'm thinking you'd have one A57 core reserved when you're up and running, and switch over to the A53 cores when the system is "off" so you could download / update / suspend to emmc on minimal power. You wouldn't use both sets at the same time.

Having to have your Switch on to download would waste playing time and battery power. Transparently suspending a game to flash when sleeping and the battery gets low would be very useful too.
Reserving A57 if you have 4 A53 is very wasteful. 4 A53 could handle any OS task.

Hey guys, what would you speculate Nintendo & Nvidia might do for an iterative Switch upgrade, and then a full second generation Switch further down the road?

Taking into account Nvidia's Tegra roadmap.

I think they'll focus on a node shrink soon in order to release a slim version. I've not really followed any of Nintendo's hardware releases, so I won't guess the timeframe, but I think either the slim or the next iteration will have a 1080p screen, possess docked performance when portable, and greater performance when docked.

Hopefully, somewhere along the line, they'll incorporate matchmaking etc into the console itself.

Is the sourse suggesting only three A57 cores for game reputable? Looked like another fake document to me. Locking a full core for such a lightweight OS seems excessive.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Is the sourse suggesting only three A57 cores for game reputable? Looked like another fake document to me. Locking a full core for such a lightweight OS seems excessive.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

It is excessive, but after the Ps4 and Xb1 used 3GB+ memory and 2 full cores for the OS, I expect the worst.

If it only has 3 cores for gaming I wish Nintendo modified the cores for multithreading at least, like the 360.

For the A53 cores to work alongside the A57s then NV would have had to solve their cache coherency issues with TX1 which would be a major customisation for Nintendo. If they had though why reserve any cores from the A57 cluster at all?

It's not just cache coherency as that wouldn't be a really big problem if the OS A53 cores did only OS tasks and the game A57 cores did only game tasks. The latency from communicating through the system RAM shouldn't be a problem, as the data exchanged should only be user input data like button pressing. Even sound processing could be done in a dedicated A53 core in such a system.
The SoC was designed to power either the A57 module or the A53 one, and never both at the same time. The TX1's power circuitry may only be able to switch the power feed between modules, not letting them power all at the same time.

That said, as @Rikimaru said reserving a full A57 core for the OS while sitting on a functional A53 module that would sip only up to 150mW at ~400MHz would be really stupid IMO.

w5UQYe0.png

It does sound excessive, but it comes from the same devkit HTML document that Eurogamer has stuck to for the last months and was leaked to the general public a couple of weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back