Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen a comparable adapter (HDMI + USB 3.0) for less than $45. Apple's is actually among the cheapest. Not that I disagree that there's likely some significant markup here, but after licensing and such I would be shocked if the BoM wasn't somewhere in the double digits (HDMI seems to add a lot to the cost of any of these adapters).

Does this count?

https://www.amazon.com/Vtin-Adapter-Converter-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B01AAK5FRC

No idea how reliable it is though. From reviews it looks like the build/wiring quality is iffy.

HDMI licensing is only $10k a year plus $0.05 per unit (if the adapter clearly shows the HDMI logo), that's nothing for a product of even moderate volume. There's an alternate pricing scheme for low volume products of $5k/year + $1 per unit, but I doubt it'd apply to Nintendo. I think the yearly fee is for the entire company and that Nintendo already pays it anyway.

I've been really busy and distracted this last couple of weeks so I've had no chance to say how fucking fuck NX prices are. And also I think it's fair to say that that the launch lineup is almost completely fuck.

As I type this I'm watching "best of" Cynthia Rothrock videos on Youtube, and yet I'm still qualified to ask "Nintendo: ....fuck?"

Edit: I've underestimated Cynthia Rothrock.

We're talking a hypothetical situation where Nintendo becomes a 3rd party developer. Why/how would Nintendo's software suffer if released on a console not designed by them?

Because a company having hardware brings fanboys and/or stronger emotional attachment by many people. As well as a sense of exclusivity, etc. You could also get hardware more tailored to the games said party makes, at least in theory (holds well for Nintendo I suppose)

Exclusives are more hyped and discussed (at least in message boards) than third party on Xbox/PS even though the latter sell much more...

Lets say i missed it all:

why should i buy switch? Or what should i buy switch for?
One line replies people, lets see what ye got ! :D

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

In a way, I hope the switch bomb so much, Nintendo goes third party, and we could at last play Big N games on modern hardware. I guess a lot of Nintendo devs would like working in a 201X environnement, and not get stuck in 2005...

I don't think Nintendo would survive as a third party developer for other platforms. They don't turn out enough content and what I take from their financials is that they survive on hardware profit margins and licensing, both of which they would lose.

I can't see them doing any better than SEGA or Atari.

Does this count?

https://www.amazon.com/Vtin-Adapter-Converter-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B01AAK5FRC

No idea how reliable it is though. From reviews it looks like the build/wiring quality is iffy.

HDMI licensing is only $10k a year plus $0.05 per unit (if the adapter clearly shows the HDMI logo), that's nothing for a product of even moderate volume. There's an alternate pricing scheme for low volume products of $5k/year + $1 per unit, but I doubt it'd apply to Nintendo. I think the yearly fee is for the entire company and that Nintendo already pays it anyway.

I wonder if having the dock even makes that much sense at all. Even more considering they have to put displayport and power converters in there.
Having a single USB-C connection would make sense if the device was very thin and small like a smartphone.
The screen is 6.2", the bezels are huge and the tablet is as thick as 2 tablets.
We'll have to wait for iFixit's teardown to make sure, but looking at battery life and apparent performance characteristics I suspect the thing is mostly filled with air inside.

Why not just have a mini-HDMI output and another USB-C in the tablet itself? They could just bundle a dumb mini-HDMI -> HDMI + USB-C -> USB-A adapter for sheer ease-of-use and call it a day.
If you connect something to the HDMI port, tablet screen goes off and it enters "docked" mode.

Even the dock is starting to look like an expensive gimmick, made with money that would have been much better spent elsewhere. Like a decent SoC.

Why not just have a mini-HDMI output and another USB-C in the tablet itself? They could just bundle a dumb mini-HDMI -> HDMI + USB-C -> USB-A adapter for sheer ease-of-use and call it a day.
If you connect something to the HDMI port, tablet screen goes off and it enters "docked" mode.

Even the dock is starting to look like an expensive gimmick, made with money that would have been much better spent elsewhere. Like a decent SoC.

Because they couldn´t charge 80+$ extra if you wanted to move the swicht to another room.

Moreover, with a proper dock, it gives the impression that the device it´s a stationary console as well, without the dock, it would scream portable no matter what.

Does the dock give additional cooling??

Because they couldn´t charge 80+$ extra if you wanted to move the swicht to another room.

Moreover, with a proper dock, it gives the impression that the device it´s a stationary console as well, without the dock, it would scream portable no matter what.

Pure gimmick it is.
I wouldn't even mind if they tried to sell the dock as a separate peripheral for $50, but designing the whole thing to require a dock just seems a bit stupid since it just makes it more expensive.

Nope.

HDMI licensing. The HDMI consortium charges the HDCP fee only on devices with a HDMI port so by placing the port on an accessory Nintendo does not have to pay a fee per device just per dock. Now you may point out that they are only offering bundles with a dock right now but this means if they do ever offer a dockless sku they don't have to cut a slice for the HDMI folks. If you buy a USB-C -> HDMI or DP -> HDMI adaptor the fee is included in the cost of the adaptor which is why a number of notebook manufacturers don't ship HDMI (also the port is too thick for ultraslim these days anyway).

As far as we are aware, no their patent merely talks about the Switch sensing it's docked and increasing it's GPU clock and adjusting the internal fan profile to suit

Pure gimmick it is.
I wouldn't even mind if they tried to sell the dock as a separate peripheral for $50, but designing the whole thing to require a dock just seems a bit stupid since it just makes it more expensive.

Nope.

HDMI licensing. The HDMI consortium charges the HDCP fee only on devices with a HDMI port so by placing the port on an accessory Nintendo does not have to pay a fee per device just per dock. Now you may point out that they are only offering bundles with a dock right now but this means if they do ever offer a dockless sku they don't have to cut a slice for the HDMI folks. If you buy a USB-C -> HDMI or DP -> HDMI adaptor the fee is included in the cost of the adaptor which is why a number of notebook manufacturers don't ship HDMI (also the port is too thick for ultraslim these days anyway).

As far as we are aware, no their patent merely talks about the Switch sensing it's docked and increasing it's GPU clock and adjusting the internal fan profile to suit

Ok thanks, at the moment it´s just money grab.

I suspect that at one point in the future, they´ll release a dockless sku, with maybe a redesigned case to chase 3ds players. If this concept don´t sink and it´s alive post 2018

They declared to have chosen that price and no bundle to be sure to have from the start a huge user base.
Let's remember this statement in a year when npd 2017 are released

Oh wait! Am I to gsther there is no hardware in the dock? Its just that tablet sitting in a fancy seat?
I should have watched the live stream, just like the wii U before this one is also confusing.

And from the replies to my call for one liner pitches it seems there is no one singular quality to define switch? Its a vita which u can output to tv too?

Right now what i see from cursory surfing is zelda=switch. Rest is all pretty much nothing being talked about for lengths. I still sont see what part of the market, except for mario+zelda fans, does it want to hit? I mean Xone wanted to be ur home entertainment device, ps4 wanted to scream games over anything else +power, what is switch? A tablet that has zelda on it?

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back