What MS, Sony, Nintendo should be or are doing next

LOL.

No one uses an OS because it has the most apps. Mostly every one buys an OS that provides the most "relevant" apps for them. Having a huge library of apps makes it easy to cover a bunch of users with different individual needs but consoles aren't productivity devices useful for a lot of different circumstances. Universal apps probably biggest impact on Xbox is the chance to quickly migrate emergent social apps from the smart phone library.

Just curious. How many PS4 apps are there currently?

Tommy McClain
- Spotify.

It's the only one I was using (except the browser). Also it's an handy app to use if you want to force any game to go into suspend mode while the PS4 is still on.

What else do we really need while playing a game ? For the rest I have my computer. But I suppose PS4 has Netflix and such streaming apps.

- Spotify.

It's the only one I was using (except the browser). Also it's an handy app to use if you want to force any game to go into suspend mode while the PS4 is still on.

What else do we really need while playing a game ? For the rest I have my computer. But I suppose PS4 has Netflix and such streaming apps.

An app that takes screen shots of your multiplayer opponents as u kill them, photoshop testicles on their forehead and phrases like "I'm stunting on you!!!!" while sending it to them effortlessly with a push of a button.

Great. You argued that in the FUTURE Xbox One will have more apps than there are CURRENTLY on PS4. I called that intellectually dishonest wich it was

Android shipments were 300 million in the same quarter. You want to compare app download rates? or number of apps?

https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-windows-store-still-isnt-well/

And this is from a MS fanboy site. Even they have lost hope

They dont care at all, PC users dont use apps to the same extent that smartphone/tablet users do. And they are shrinking in numbers every quarter

You keep shifting goalposts to win an internet argument congrats. It doesnt matter that 68 million people bought a PC last quarter, Microsoft does not have a UWP app strategy right now to reach those users anyway. And thats assuming those users actually care about instagram on their PC and Xbox

Again, this is a thread about the future. IF this app strategy is successfull wich i dont really think it will be (MS needs to pour money to make great first party games) then all Sony needs to do is fork Android for PS5 or 6 or whatever and get superior apps and a much higher consumer base that actually use apps on their phones and might care about syncing them to a console

Chromebooks showed more growth than PCs btw so thats why Google makes them, not because they need to serve a small minority
The only reliable podcast downloader I've been able to find on Windows 10 was from the app store, so it at least has that going for it.

You guys should do a list war. For apps. On home consoles. :runaway:

Just calling him out since he seems to know the numbers. From what I've seen on the Xbox side it would be interesting to see how many the PS4 has. Not saying they have more since I don't know the exact numbers for either side. Just that MS has a bigger opportunity with UWP & their unified app store.

Tommy McClain

Great. You argued that in the FUTURE Xbox One will have more apps than there are CURRENTLY on PS4. I called that intellectually dishonest wich it was

No I'm arguing that in the future the XBOX Ones will have many more apps than the PS4s will. The current number (@AzBat this one's for you) is 52 selections in the PS4's apps section and 207 selections in the Xbox One apps section. I believe this difference will continue to grow. I have no idea at all where there is any intellectual dishonesty in anything I've said.

Android shipments were 300 million in the same quarter. You want to compare app download rates? or number of apps?

https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-windows-store-still-isnt-well/

And this is from a MS fanboy site. Even they have lost hope

Irrelevant. Again, the point is that a large number in absolute terms doesn't all of the sudden become a small number because you are comparing it to a huge number. This article cites "669k apps listed in 2015". Even if not a single app was added since then, that's not a small number in absolute terms. Period.

They dont care at all, PC users dont use apps to the same extent that smartphone/tablet users do.

PC users have other sources for applications than the Windows Store and are also able to make much better use of web-based services so they use them. This has been the challenge. The Xbox One has one source of apps. Some number of apps in the Windows Store will make sense to use on the TV with a controller in hand and UWP means there is now a much better chance that developers will put in the effort to get those apps on XBOX One.

And they are shrinking in numbers every quarter.

They are selling less every quarter. That's not exactly the same thing. Smartphone sales are also declining as buyers hold onto phones that are "good enough". This doesn't all of the sudden make them irrelevant.

You keep shifting goalposts to win an internet argument congrats. It doesnt matter that 68 million people bought a PC last quarter, Microsoft does not have a UWP app strategy right now to reach those users anyway. And thats assuming those users actually care about instagram on their PC and Xbox

I never set a goalpost to begin with. I simply think you have too binary of a view. Everything seems to be Success/Failure, Everybody/Nobody, UWP apps on XBOne are going to be it's saviour/UWP apps on XBox One are pointless. UWP apps on XBox One don't have to be (and I don't expect ever will be) a huge difference maker in terms of people's purchasing decision, but every positive you can add to your platform is another potential tipping point that gets people to pull the trigger.

Again, this is a thread about the future. IF this app strategy is successfull wich i dont really think it will be (MS needs to pour money to make great first party games) then all Sony needs to do is fork Android for PS5 or 6 or whatever and get superior apps and a much higher consumer base that actually use apps on their phones and might care about syncing them to a console.
  1. I don't think Google Play store will ever be on a Playstation. I don't think either Sony or Google would be willing to cede the degree of control to the other that would allow this to happen.
  2. I have an Android phone and I can't think of any apps where I would need an Android-based console in order to "sync" them. What did you have in mind here?
Chromebooks showed more growth than PCs btw so thats why Google makes them, not because they need to serve a small minority

They make them because some number of people are buying them and using them and Google and their partners are making money off of this. As long as this "number of people" is large enough to justify continual support from Google and its hardware partners, regardless if the sales trend is growth or shrinkage they will continue to do so until either it stops making them money or they see a better opportunity for ROI by spending the money they are using to support Chromebooks elsewhere.

Last edited:
Nintendo should exit the hardware market and make their games available on existing PCs, Sony and MS Consoles, and Android Phones and Tablets.

Nintendo should exit the hardware market and make their games available on existing PCs, Sony and MS Consoles, and Android Phones and Tablets.
I'll have a Nintendo Switch, thank you very much. Besides I already have a PC, I'm not interested in another PC in a custom desktop box that can only play certain games... :p

No I'm arguing that in the future the XBOX Ones will have many more apps than the PS4s will. The current number (@AzBat this one's for you) is 52 selections in the PS4's apps section and 207 selections in the Xbox One apps section. I believe this difference will continue to grow. I have no idea at all where there is any intellectual dishonesty in anything I've said.

Go back and read my first post you quoted. You know the one where i was specifically talking about next gen. You then changed it to Xbox One vs PS4. Thats a classic red herring
My own fault for getting sucked in

Irrelevant. Again, the point is that a large number in absolute terms doesn't all of the sudden become a small number because you are comparing it to a huge number. This article cites "669k apps listed in 2015". Even if not a single app was added since then, that's not a small number in absolute terms. Period.

It is a small number in the context of Sony going the android route. Wich is the only thing i argued in my original post

They are selling less every quarter. That's not exactly the same thing. Smartphone sales are also declining as buyers hold onto phones that are "good enough". This doesn't all of the sudden make them irrelevant.

Again, either you have completely misunderstood me or you are simply going Don Quijote. Im talking about the future, if this trend continues then Microsoft has no real consumer platform to leverage. Smartphone sales actually grew by almost 5% in comparison to 2015, the slowdown is coming at the high end but emerging markets still have massive room for growth at low and mid range. Since 99% of people can accomplish their daily tasks with a phone now, its only logical to assume they would rather just have a smartphone than spend more money on a PC

I never set a goalpost to begin with. I simply think you have too binary of a view. Everything seems to be Success/Failure, Everybody/Nobody, UWP apps on XBOne are going to be it's saviour/UWP apps on XBox One are pointless. UWP apps on XBox One don't have to be (and I don't expect ever will be) a huge difference maker in terms of people's purchasing decision, but every positive you can add to your platform is another potential tipping point that gets people to pull the trigger.

1. I don't think Google Play store will ever be on a Playstation. I don't think either Sony or Google would be willing to cede the degree of control to the other that would allow this to happen.
  2. I have an Android phone and I can't think of any apps where I would need an Android-based console in order to "sync" them. What did you have in mind here?[/QUOTE]
Its Microsoft that has the binary view. Its not like they are investing in first party studios and UWP, they are banking on UWP apps.

As for Google Play ever being on a Playstation. Why did Sony abandon Symbian and cede the degree of control to Google even in the early stages before Android exploded in popularity? They could have gone the Nokia route and tried competing on their own. And this was even before Kaz became CEO, their Android support has grown since

The picture you paint of Sony doesnt really match with their recent business decisions. Sony offers Android TV on their high end TVs, they could have used Web OS like LG does. They are the only "big" OEM to contribute to AOSP. IF apps become a factor in console sales, then its far more likely that Sony goes the Android route. When your competition has 10x the apps its pretty much suicide to try and compete with your own apps. Thats how Microsoft got killed in the smartphone business

The apps i had in mind were games. All 3 console makers have shown glimpses of moving towards this future, they just bet on the wrong platforms. Sony did it with Vita, i think Nintendo Switch will have lukewarm sales because people dont want to carry another device

Play a game on your phone while taking the subway, the game is synced to your console so you can continue at home. I dont think this is a gamechanger but if we are talking about tipping points towards a purchase... Nintendo already smelled the money in smartphone gaming, letting Miyamoto make a game with their biggest IP is huge

They make them because some number of people are buying them and using them and Google and their partners are making money off of this. As long as this "number of people" is large enough to justify continual support from Google and its hardware partners, regardless if the sales trend is growth or shrinkage they will continue to do so until either it stops making them money or they see a better opportunity for ROI by spending the money they are using to support Chromebooks elsewhere.

That only works if the margins are high enough. Chromebooks and majority of PCs are low margin race to the bottom products. So they make money from volume

Im pretty sure some people were buying Kin, Zune, WP7, WP8, Lumia phones, Microsoft bands. But they still got abandoned

I am interested in a portable device that can (and will have) great games.

Since you didn't say "portable gaming device" I think an iOS, Android or maybe even a Surface device will be best. Unless you have to have Nintendo 1st party games.

Tommy McClain

Since you didn't say "portable gaming device" I think an iOS, Android or maybe even a Surface device will be best. Unless you have to have Nintendo 1st party games.

Tommy McClain

I can't think of any game that is made for an iOS or Android device that I would be interested in playing.

There are interesting PC/Windows games, but I do not think they are suitable for portable playing. You would also have to bring other devices with you (game pad, mice etc).

Last edited:
I can't think of any game I would be interested in playing on an iOS or Android device.

There are interesting PC/Windows games, but I do not think they are suitable for portable playing. You would also have to bring other devices with you (game pad, mice etc).

Again, you didn't say "portable gaming device".

Tommy McClain

Go back and read my first post you quoted. You know the one where i was specifically talking about next gen. You then changed it to Xbox One vs PS4. Thats a classic red herring
My own fault for getting sucked in

OK. Going back a bit I see I blew right past your initial Android apps on Playstation thing because I didn't realize you were actually serious about that as a real possibility. So let's re-focus on that then. Sony use Android TV because the dynamics of the TV market make that a more appealing solution than an in-house solution would be. If the dynamics of the TV market were like the dynamics of the console market, though, this would not be the case.

In detail - If Sony could be the market leader (or even a strong second or third) in TVs while...
  1. Selling one base model at three different screen sizes.
  2. Only updating that model every three years or so.
  3. Having a built-in Blu-Ray player that only plays Blu-rays from Sony-owned studios and studios who pay Sony for each Blu-ray they want to be shown on a Sony TV. (Games analogy here. Not perfect, but the best I could come up with)
  4. Having no HDMI ports or antenna inputs and only allowing content to get to the TV in ways where the TV OS can act as gatekeeper.
...there is no way they wouldn't be using their own OS and their own app store in their TVs.

I am interested in a portable device that can (and will have) great games.

I'll have a Nintendo Switch, thank you very much. Besides I already have a PC, I'm not interested in another PC in a custom desktop box that can only play certain games... :p

This is reductive.

But you *are* interested in a phablet with a custom controller that can't access the Google Play, Apple, or Amazon Stores. :p

This is also reductive. #thatsthejoke

Back