What MS, Sony, Nintendo should be or are doing next

Or users who don't preorder and wait to see if a game is in a fit, playable state before purchasing. In which case install time is the time after downloading and before you can actually play.

Is this a substantial amount of time. I am sure I have downloaded games out of my owned list and not had any noticeable install time other than the download time?

I used to use my PS3 for my movie watching via DLNA or USB. Not Blu Ray. That was barely used. And I remember having issues with some files. Linux opened up lots of possibilities but it wasnt well supported. Remember when that feature lead to the creation of a Media Center which included Emulator and Video file support?
But what I see with the XB platform is the official support of apps that we only saw in homebrew. Emulators? It is a dream come true for a gamer.
Imagine a single box that can satisfy your old school and next gen gaming needs. Smart phones and tablets benefit largely from this, and I d love to own a console that plays these games on a large screen with a controller.
Also apps that support all your movie and sound files like VLC and a complete codec pack. My PS4 lacks behind as a media player and I cant see how Sony can bring emus and movie/sound playing apps that open up Playstation's functionality.
Also expect some other well appreciated apps to appear on a future XBOX platform. At no additional cost (Unlike Kinect and the initial TV viewing support which have affected performance and pricing).
Homebrew on handhelds and consoles exist and is largely appreciated because it covers needs that the official manufacturers dont support. Universal support of apps is the closest official support to homebrew we could ever get

UWP apps were supposed to make Windows Phone a dominant force in the smartphone industy aswell. Nobody cared

Emulators wont happen, why do you think that nes emulator was removed? Kodi, Plex etc is nice but its hardly something millions of people would buy a console for

MS needs to invest in their first party studios to make games, you know the things people buy consoles for? If they truly still think Windows app is the solution for everything then the future looks bleak for them. Especially as consumers are moving more and more away from PCs and into smartphones/tablets, wich Microsoft has no control over other than selling apps for those platforms

I thought UWP apps was a low cost entry point for indie titles?

perhaps that was more own hope.....

It is. But there's a large difference between indie, and mobile style games. I think as an indie you are still required to go through ID@XBOX. You can begin development through the UWP platform, and deploy through ID@XBOX. If you are making something akin to a mobile game I'm not sure if ID@XBOX is required.

I never said that Windows app is the solution to everything.

I never said you did. I said if MS still truly thinks people love Windows and want it in every device then their future is bleak

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/11/13250172/pc-industry-shipment-decline-lenovo-hp-dell-asus-acer

I dont think apps will be a gamechanger for next gen. But even if they were, it would be smarter to bet on a locked down Android OS fork with apps that people actually use over the barren wasteland that is the Windows Appstore

Some recent data for the start of mid-gen. It includes PC so it skews towards digital.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/era-77-of-uk-players-prefer-boxed-games/0173891
Graph_ERA_KIM_BAYLEY_640.png

I never said you did. I said if MS still truly thinks people love Windows and want it in every device then their future is bleak

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/11/13250172/pc-industry-shipment-decline-lenovo-hp-dell-asus-acer

I dont think apps will be a gamechanger for next gen. But even if they were, it would be smarter to bet on a locked down Android OS fork with apps that people actually use over the barren wasteland that is the Windows Appstore

The app selection on the Windows Store vs. that of the Playstation Store would be the relevant comparison. In that light, the selection on the Windows Store is abundant.

I used to use my PS3 for my movie watching via DLNA or USB. Not Blu Ray. That was barely used. And I remember having issues with some files. Linux opened up lots of possibilities but it wasnt well supported. Remember when that feature lead to the creation of a Media Center which included Emulator and Video file support?

Also apps that support all your movie and sound files like VLC and a complete codec pack.

For the last thing you wanted, get a Raspberry Pi (and buy the additional codecs). Much better for as a media renderer (although I miss the PS3's fast forward/backwards gui).

For the first issue, nobody wrote a good CBE/RSX X-driver, therefore running videos etc on a PS3 with Linux was pretty crappy.

The app selection on the Windows Store vs. that of the Playstation Store would be the relevant comparison. In that light, the selection on the Windows Store is abundant.

Only if you are trying to be intellectually dishonest. Xbox cant use all the apps on the Windows store. It cant even use all the games on the Windows store

Hardly. Even if only a subset of apps are ever enabled on XBOne, there will be huge difference.

No it wont. Again its the same old tired Windows schtick "Once Microsoft gets XYZ right, then you will see!!"

People use apps on smartphones, they dont use apps on desktop/laptops, they are barely buying desktop/laptops these days.

You think people care more about syncing their apps with their smartphones or their desktops? Guess wich platform Microsoft does not have

No it wont.

UWP on XBOne won't lead to more apps on XBOnes than there are on PS4s? Cause that's what I said.

Again its the same old tired Windows schtick "Once Microsoft gets XYZ right, then you will see!!"

I have never said this, and am not saying it now. I do think that the "One Microsoft" strategy is a good one.

People use apps on smartphones, they dont use apps on desktop/laptops, they are barely buying desktop/laptops these days.

Gartner said:
worldwide PC shipments fell 5.7 percent in the third quarter of 2016 to 68.9 million units.

68.9 Million shipped in a 3 month period is, in absolute terms, still a very large number.

You think people care more about syncing their apps with their smartphones or their desktops? Guess wich platform Microsoft does not have

It doesn't matter what they care more for. It only matters that they care at all. Google makes Chromebooks. So, apparently, despite their dominance as a smartphone/tablet platform they feel that a relevant number of people want to use their apps on a laptop platform. You can build a successful product by serving the needs of a minority as long as that minority is a large enough group in terms of absolute numbers.

UWP on XBOne won't lead to more apps on XBOnes than there are on PS4s? Cause that's what I said.

Great. You argued that in the FUTURE Xbox One will have more apps than there are CURRENTLY on PS4. I called that intellectually dishonest wich it was

68.9 Million shipped in a 3 month period is, in absolute terms, still a very large number.

Android shipments were 300 million in the same quarter. You want to compare app download rates? or number of apps?

https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-windows-store-still-isnt-well/

And this is from a MS fanboy site. Even they have lost hope

It doesn't matter what they care more for. It only matters that they care at all. Google makes Chromebooks. So, apparently, despite their dominance as a smartphone/tablet platform they feel that a relevant number of people want to use their apps on a laptop platform. You can build a successful product by serving the needs of a minority as long as that minority is a large enough group in terms of absolute numbers.

They dont care at all, PC users dont use apps to the same extent that smartphone/tablet users do. And they are shrinking in numbers every quarter

You keep shifting goalposts to win an internet argument congrats. It doesnt matter that 68 million people bought a PC last quarter, Microsoft does not have a UWP app strategy right now to reach those users anyway. And thats assuming those users actually care about instagram on their PC and Xbox

Again, this is a thread about the future. IF this app strategy is successfull wich i dont really think it will be (MS needs to pour money to make great first party games) then all Sony needs to do is fork Android for PS5 or 6 or whatever and get superior apps and a much higher consumer base that actually use apps on their phones and might care about syncing them to a console

Chromebooks showed more growth than PCs btw so thats why Google makes them, not because they need to serve a small minority

Back