What MS, Sony, Nintendo should be or are doing next

Nintendo could just release a smaller screen with a cheaper version of their custom tegra thats compatible with those switch joy con controllers and hail that as a successor to the 3DS.
That sounds crazily complicated the Switch is not released yet and we are "strategizing" about how it will reach its intended target: handheld gamers?
What is their strategy handhelds + hybrid + home console? Games call for different development budgets on those platforms.
Handhelds do not need crazy specs as the market can't sustain AAA type of games. Having a high-end system induces costs to the customer, which translate into lesser use base, which affect the sales, too high budget games also affect the game price.

The switch looks even more out of place to me than the PS Vita. Give it a couple year but my take is that the Switch will hurt Nintendo on every fronts Home console (they could sold for cheap a system with greater capability than the switch) and Handheld.
They keep doing shit, they don't get jack shit about the market home or handheld.

If Sony changed for real they should re-enter the handheld market with an appropriate device aka which hardware is consistent with the harsh economics reality of the existing market. Nintendo monopoly is now imho open for the taking and the market can see growth with an actor with realistic expectations not grounded in powerpoint wet dream of a socio-pathological type of winner as we all know many...

Last edited:
Their marketing slogan can be "While our competitors want to give you just more resolution, we want to give you more resolution and more display on top of portability with our premium wares"!!!

"While our competitors want to give you just more resolution, we give you LESS!

But it makes no sense for anyone [ especially @Rodéric ] to want Nintendo to stick to their own hardware. They should be pushing for yet another huge Nintendo FAIL so Nintendo are forced to switch over to making games for all platforms that way everyone can play their games on whatever existing hardware they have.
It went horribly for Sega.

I believe that once a company no longer makes hardware, it loses that magic.

BEST case for a no hardware Nintendo would be to turn into another boring triple A factory like, EA, Ubi, and Activision (because they manage to make consistent profits in core gaming, and are pretty much the only software success stories in core gaming). And that sounds terrible.

I agree with Rangers. Once a 1st party gives up on hardware and no longer "own their home" they end up fading badly. There are no examples I know of where a console hardware maker made the transition to 3rd party and thrived. Perhaps that is because there aren't many examples. Atari. Sega. Maybe Husdon (makers of the PC-Engine hardware NEC manufactured).

It went horribly for Sega.

I believe that once a company no longer makes hardware, it loses that magic.

BEST case for a no hardware Nintendo would be to turn into another boring triple A factory like, EA, Ubi, and Activision (because they manage to make consistent profits in core gaming, and are pretty much the only software success stories in core gaming). And that sounds terrible.
I think the contingency plan for a no hardware Nintendo is to be a mobile developer. That's where they have the greatest audience, that's where there's the most money, and that's where there's growth. It lets people play together locally on their personal phones, matching Nintendos preference for/catering to local multiplayer. Hardware capabilities are a good match for their traditional IP, and they have tons of experience with games development for small screens.

Nintendos appearance at the latest iPhone reveal wasn't an accident.

I know this isn't the correct place for the Apps on XBOX talk;
but could be relevant to this discussion
http://www.windowscentral.com/home-remote-xbox-one

I was reading about smart home and decided to google if anyone made a smart home app for xbox (looking for opportunities) and yea it appears there is. Competition looks light, but its there at least some one else was thinking the same thing. But if able to fully control the house with profiles, you all of a sudden get some neat automation features from xbox without having to buy another device or fit it in your living room.

Proper integration with Cortana could go a long way. "Cortana, theatre lighting"... etc. "Cortana, game lighting".. etc.

I think this would be an ideal area to expand on their 'all in 1' console. Home Automation, Games, Movies.

There's also a UWA app called Cortana Triggers(formerly IFTTT Maker for Cortana) that lets you create custom Cortana commands. Would be cool to use on Xbox. I tried downloading on my W10M device, but can't seem to find it. Here's the article from Windows Central about it.

Tommy McClain
What's wanted in that case is an OS level macro system that could be attached to custom commands. On console though, that sounds like a recipe for security trouble as you'd need to expose the console functions. Still, with the VMs, XB1 should be safe.

What's wanted in that case is an OS level macro system that could be attached to custom commands. On console though, that sounds like a recipe for security trouble as you'd need to expose the console functions. Still, with the VMs, XB1 should be safe.

Don't disagree, but I suspect MS will pick their battles & let developers fill in needs like this. One of the biggest reason for opening the UWA/Windows Store up to the Xbox One.

Tommy McClain

IIRC this is inherent in UWP apps. The APIs for an app are open to take advantage of. I'll need to look around for the presentation but it would appear to have some parallel.

I recall a demo about an app that interfaced with their Fitbit.

They created a second app that wanted data from that Fitbit.

The second app was able to retrieve that data through the first app without having to touch the Fitbit directly, or turn on the Fitbit app.

Lemme look around, I could be wrong. Memory is a bit fuzzy around this one.

There was a scripting language on Windows called Rexx that allowed macros to be executed. Arexx was the Amiga version that worked with the preemptive multitasking, and many productivity applications provided support allowing cross-app macros. You could write a script that would load a file into one app, process it, save it out into another app to do something else, and save it to disk, in batches. Basically completely flexible, if very unuserfriendly. It's the sort of thing you'd want for the voice-controlled home, to pull off Star Trek like, "Computer, execute Entertainment Protocol five alpha."

There was a scripting language on IBM platforms called Rexx that allowed macros to be executed. Arexx was the Amiga version that worked with the preemptive multitasking, and many productivity applications provided support allowing cross-app macros. Later a Windows version was released, it as shit as early Windows multitasking was shit."

FTFY. :yep2:

Nintendo will not stop make hardware even if Switch fail. They don't have to because they still have a lot of cash. Their 1-year profit of Wii era is bigger than whole loss of Wii U era...

Nintendo will not stop make hardware even if Switch fail. They don't have to because they still have a lot of cash. Their 1-year profit of Wii era is bigger than whole loss of Wii U era...

And your source for this?

Even if this were true, you can't absorb a whole year of losses. Most companies, a launch of a poor extension, can result in mass layoffs in certain wings because the sales cannot keep the employees afloat.

Simultaneously, I have a ton of respect or Nintendo for not having laid off any employees for the lacklustre sales of WiiU. (that I have heard of)

Even if this were true, you can't absorb a whole year of losses. Most companies, a launch of a poor extension, can result in mass layoffs in certain wings because the sales cannot keep the employees afloat.

Simultaneously, I have a ton of respect or Nintendo for not having laid off any employees for the lacklustre sales of WiiU. (that I have heard of)

Because they save their profit as a cash(at least money they can use), and that's a policy of Nintendo since quite a long time ago. They have said game business is like a gambling.

Back