Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

You are the Youtube VG tech guy, aren't you? Great job on your videos. I like the stats.

Yes. Thanks, not many people seem to look at the stats lol, but I think they can be useful.

Good count on Doom VGA and appreciate the video's as always. Quick question about your FFXV video: Is the dynamic resolution mostly hitting 1080p and sometimes dipping or is it mostly 900p with slight bumps to 1080p?

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it looks like they are already hitting 1080p the majority of the time. Any ideas?

Thanks. It can be difficult to get an idea of what the resolution normally runs at for a game that uses a dynamic resolution, so I couldn't really say.

What kind of anti aliasing is that in the the Gears of War 4 Multiplayer Beta:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_gears_of_war_4_beta-17767_en.html

?

Seems to look better than that super ugly and mega blurry "Temporal AA" from other Unreal Engine 4 titles like Unreal Tournament 4 for example...
Looks like UE4 TAA with sharpening.

DOOM has the same specular intensity fade-in as Uncharted 4 when first displayed, or briefly occluded.

DOOMspec.gif
(normal)
DOOMspec3.gif
(1/3 speed)

I don't know about the AA in Gears Of War 4 MP, but they can't be serious about the final result. Like wtf?

It's UGLY.

image_gears_of_war_4-31503-3270_0001.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31503-3270_0008.jpg

image_gears_of_war_4-31506-3270_0002.jpg

First thing that jumped out of me in the gears mp pics and vids was that everything is at right angles, like the world is made of cubes. Makes the texture repetition stand out a lot. Then throw in some very flat lighting it all looks pretty bland. Single player needs to look a lot better than that.

I don't know about the AA in Gears Of War 4 MP, but they can't be serious about the final result. Like wtf?

It's UGLY.
Are we sure that is 1080p? Looks really blurry.
First thing that jumped out of me in the gears mp pics and vids was that everything is at right angles, like the world is made of cubes. Makes the texture repetition stand out a lot. Then throw in some very flat lighting it all looks pretty bland. Single player needs to look a lot better than that.

Should be, 30 vs 60 fps.

Are we sure that is 1080p? Looks really blurry.

Well, that sh** is probably by design or whatever...

Unreal Engine 4 has an incredibly bad image quality IMHO.

If you have a PC, you might want to have a look at Unreal Tournament 4.

The image quality in Unreal Tournament 4 is unbelieveably bad.

With FXAA it's already absolutely horrible, but with Temporal AA, man, it's probably the worst thing ever.

Yes, that Temporal AA reduces aliasing/shimmering quite a bit, but it's so incredibly blurry it's not even funny.

And yes, even at 1080p.

Plus there's lots of ghosting.

Those temporal AA solutions are the worst thing that ever happened to gaming IMHO (or maybe it's deferred rendering, because that's why we no longer have MSAA).

And when the Unreal Engine developers at Epic are being begged for alternative AA solutions, they even say things like those:

Brian Karis said:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...e83635d74480a4c89f&p=2378&viewfull=1#post2378

[...] Our Temporal AA is actually something we are quite proud of as we feel it is an area we have pushed ahead of the industry on. [...]

:facepalm:

I disagree, TAA is the way to go with modern games. Have you seen how bad Rise of the Tomb Raider looks with regular FXAA in some areas of the game? Or Bloodborne with shimmering everywhere. Uncharted 4 beta looked great in motion (what you'll be playing) i don't know about the Gears TAA as i haven't seen it in person but let's just wait for the final product first.

Look how clean that looks for 900p

Another case where TAA would work wonders (if it wasn't buggy) is FFXV, look at that:
jpg

That is horrible, and it is the result of complex shading + very detailed assets, this can't work currently without proper TAA, even in 4k this would shimmer and look jaggy.

Another example that just screams "please use TAA" from the Soviet camp in RotTR
UnripeMemorableDairycow.gif

Last edited:
Bloodborne makes itself look worse in regards to aliasing with the abundant use of chromatic abberation. Dark Souls 3 (at least on PC... not sure how valid that is in regards to aliasing on consoles) has MUCH less issues with it. Still noticable, but less aggravating to the eyes. Raising natives resolution to 1440p or 4K virtually eliminates all of that (obviously not applicable to consoles).

It's not that. That doesn't change with specular reflection res in the PC version (which is another problem). These trees are very detailed for a regular 1080p frame buffer (or even 4k, even at that res is still shimmers like crazy). Too much sub-pixel detail creating that result.

Have you seen how bad Rise of the Tomb Raider looks with regular FXAA in some areas of the game?

Rise of the Tomb Raider also supports SMAA on the PC, which, just like as in every other game, looks way better than FXAA.

It's not that. That doesn't change with specular reflection res in the PC version (which is another problem). These trees are very detailed for a regular 1080p frame buffer (or even 4k, even at that res is still shimmers like crazy). Too much sub-pixel detail creating that result.

WTF?

The trees in the PC version of Crysis 1 certainly do not have less detail than those and even with AA turned completely off Crysis 1 does not shimmer like that.

Rise of the Tomb Raider also supports SMAA on the PC, which, just like as in every other game, looks way better than FXAA.

WTF?

The trees in the PC version of Crysis 1 certainly do not have less detail than those and even with AA turned completely off Crysis 1 does not shimmer like that.
Most of the detail in the trees in Crysis 1 come from textures, not polygons, and textures have filtering instead of AA, so that solves that problem. They also don't have branches as thin as the ones you see in Tomb Raider. It's not entirely about amount of detail, but the size of that detail as well. The branches are often 1 pixel or less in thickness, so without AA, the detail can't be rendered very accurately, so it appears to jump substantially and even pop in and out of visibility on some pixels. Post AA then makes the problem worse by assuming it knows about the edges, when what it's seeing is mostly noise, so it alters the image in a way that makes the shimmering even more noticeable.

Back