Kojima leaves Konami to start new Studio *Confirmed*

He probably could get away with making a MGS game, if Konami sued him under cross examination the defense could 'prove' it wasn't the same story - nobody and I mean nobody can keep that story straight/coherent.

On a serious note I am looking forward to seeing him do something different.

He's free to make an MGS game as long as he doesn't call it MGS and it doesn't use any characters from MGS. :p

Regards,
SB

Sony's control revolves around owning the IP. I doubt there is much commitment beyond that as both Kojima or Sony will probably want to use the first title as a feeling out process and to help determine if each other will make viable partners.

That's the thing... their first partnership IP isn't exclusively Sony's. It's only exclusive (as far as we know) on the console side, but it's also coming to the PC (similar to Ryse). But yes, I do agree it's more of a feeling out process....

Last edited:
If he wants to create adventure/horror game (policenauts/PT), he can also use Shadowfall engine, same as Supermassive did.

If he wants to create adventure/horror game (policenauts/PT), he can also use Shadowfall engine, same as Supermassive did.

Yes, Until Dawn looked awesome on the Shadowfall Engine. However, I don't see Sony/Guerrilla reworking the framework and underpinnings of the SF Engine (that is optimized for PS4), just to shoehorn it on the PC. More than likely, for a new startup studio, the Unreal Engine, Unity Engine, and the CryEngine to a certain extent, are more valid solutions for multiplatform development.

If not the Fox Engine, then the likely suspects Unreal Engine or Unity Engine.

Or whatever engine Sony provides their first and second parties. I read that ICE stands for "Initiative for a Common Engine", so I assume that Sony can provide an engine to Kojima if need be.

Sony does have the PhyreEngine which is a multiplatform engine that supports the PC. But I don't recall any big budget AAA game developed using it.

Last edited:
Everything Kojima speaks, a kitten dies.

That's what happened.
:(
hqdefault.jpg

I don't think Kojima will be pushed to use some engine. The team will pick what they want [most likely UE4].

I surmise what they most likely want is to build their own. Given Kojima history of exploiting the strengths of the platforms he targets, I imagine he is more interested in whatever parts Sony has in their garage versus a multiplatform third party engine just to support a PC port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Engine Do we know if it is actually owned by Konami?
The way it is stated in Wikipedia is that it was made by Kojima Productions for use for Konami games, but it could mean owned or not owned by Konami either way.

I doubt if Kojima owns the engine. The developers were task with supplying a multiplatform engine to support the breadth of Konami lineup of console titles. It wouldn't make sense for Konami to allow Kojima to hold ownership of a engine that was a product of a company owned by Konami in which Kojima was an employee.

PES 2017 is in trouble otherwise.

I surmise what they most likely want is to build their own. Given Kojima history of exploiting the strengths of the platforms he targets, I imagine he is more interested in whatever parts Sony has in their garage versus a multiplatform third party engine just to support a PC port.

But that's what happening... Kojima Production is supporting PC. It would be quite unrealistic to use something so propriety and so optimized for PS4, rather than a scalable / crossplatform engine such as the Unreal Engine. Plus, the Unreal Engine upfront cost (especially for new startup developers), IIRC, is virtually free. Of course, fees/royalties/etc.. applies once the developer ships/sales the game.

But that's what happening... Kojima Production is supporting PC. It would be quite unrealistic to use something so propriety and so optimized for PS4, rather than a scalable / crossplatform engine such as the Unreal Engine. Plus, the Unreal Engine upfront cost (especially for new startup developers), IIRC, is virtually free. Of course, fees/royalties/etc.. applies once the developer ships/sales the game.

They spent the last few decades working with homegrown engines that do just that. Kojima, to me at least, seems to submerge himself in the tech as much as the story and mechanics of his games. They built the Fox engine with a goal of it being the best ever. Someone with those type of ambition for their own tech are usually the last to be swayed by the utility that third party multiplatform engines offer.

And Sony is in a position where they don't need to have a Kojima title to push sales. They can be just as patience with Kojima as they have been with a lot of their first party devs. And if you were Sony would you not be especially with a talent like Kojima?

I imagine Kojima cares more about coming up with a great game than thinking about shortened dev time or super efficient development budget.

To me Kojima has always come off more as an artist than a business man. I imagine if Kojima was a film director he would swear off the ideal of using a digital format over film. I imagine he scoffs in the same manner at the ideal of using an off the shelf multiplatform engine over his own creation thats built to push its primary target.

Plus, PCs can accommodate consoles more easily than the other way around especially ones built with components that won't be released 1, 2, 3 or 4 years from now.

Last edited:
So, how long does it take to setup the infrastructure for a new studio and go full force with game development? One year? 2 years?

What is a realistic perspective of a game release window for a new studio?, even if the already have a concept for a game In 4-5 years?

So it's a PS5 launch title, then.

I would expect Ps5 to drop in late 2019/2020. Not before that. After all what publishers want is a huge user base, that's why we don't see new consoles every 2-3 years. So i am expecting that game to be a late gen Ps4 title while the next one (sounds like they want to create a franchise) would be a Ps5 title.

Back