Forum Reorganisation 2015

hovering do nothing
What browser are you using? I wish hovering would do nothing, and I'm on IE11. I really dislike anything that suddenly drops down on me out of nowhere; chances are I was just moving my mouse pointer to click on something which ended up underneath the menu which just popped out, making me click on the wrong thing.

Damned, dirty ads are of course the primary offender here, but those menus are still nagging me to some extent... :p

I've taken a look at how the hovering is controlled and it's behind a "Touch Friendly Menus" option to make it easier for folks on touch devices to use the menus. I won't do anything to the option just now, but I will look at the stats and see how many people are browsing the forums from mobile browsers versus using Tapatalk, and make a call then about whether to switch it off or not.

I'd be interested to know for which browsers the hovering doesn't work, so I can file bugs with the theme engine developer.

Generally I don't visit anything other than the console forums. So raising the Games & Technology forums to the same level as the Industry forum caught me off guard. It kinda sucks that I can't mark all 3 of the forums as read anymore. Now I have to do that in each forum. Bleh. Other than that I guess the new layout is OK. Will need a few more days with it though.

Tommy McClain

Generally I don't visit anything other than the console forums. So raising the Games & Technology forums to the same level as the Industry forum caught me off guard. It kinda sucks that I can't mark all 3 of the forums as read anymore. Now I have to do that in each forum. Bleh. Other than that I guess the new layout is OK. Will need a few more days with it though.

Tommy McClain

You can do so via [Forums] / [Mark Forums Read] / [Mark All Forums Read]. Granted that's more of a Nuke From Orbit approach, but it'll do the task with overkill.

btw im using windows 8 tablet. Maybe B3D forum automatically disable the hover because i have touch?

On touch devices it's one tap to summon the menu and one tap to follow a link therein.

It can of course, it's just not how it works today and would need some development. For better or worse, the theme engine and theme are something I've bought in, rather than do myself, and while it's very configurable, it's not completely flexible and I'm not comfortable just diving in and changing things in code, since it would mean I then have to maintain those changes forever.

Not impossible of course, but not anything I'm especially keen on doing, since it removes time to do other things.

You can do so via [Forums] / [Mark Forums Read] / [Mark All Forums Read]. Granted that's more of a Nuke From Orbit approach, but it'll do the task with overkill.

Yeah not keen on that. It would have marked this thread as read & the only way I usually know about the non-console threads is via my phone's Tapatalk app.

Tommy McClain

Can I get a "New" tag next to the individual forum on the bar where it shows "Mark Forums Read"? This would work similar to the main forum page, but I don't want to go there if I don't need to. Would like to stay in one category if I can. Thanks!

Tommy McClain

I spoke to the XenForo developers and there's no way to show new posts just for a specific category or forum, unfortunately.

Yeah not keen on that. It would have marked this thread as read & the only way I usually know about the non-console threads is via my phone's Tapatalk app.

Tommy McClain
I had a look at whether you can, with a single action, mark just a subset of forums read. Unfortunately you can't, sorry to disappoint.

Back