Forum Reorganisation 2015

Thanks for the related forum links bar too. That extra 3 seconds of navigation through the Forum page was really getting to me!

Sorry about that, forgot to move some of the active GPU product threads out of their sub-forum. I've moved those out now.

What don't you like about the new layout?

Thanks for moving the thread about 4K resolution coming. I think it is a nice thread.

The new layout is good, I meant that the previous one was worse than the one before it.

Now all is well.

Cheers!

There's no way for me to reenable that without removing other things on the bar, at least not easily. Added that to the list.
Well, maybe I'm using this the wrong way, but is the 'Mark forums read' button needed on the top bar all the time? 'New Posts' is the only button I ever push to go back to see new posts - open thread, read, click on New Posts, again and again - and I can't be the only one using the forum this way?

Well, maybe I'm using this the wrong way, but is the 'Mark forums read' button needed on the top bar all the time? 'New Posts' is the only button I ever push to go back to see new posts - open thread, read, click on New Posts, again and again - and I can't be the only one using the forum this way?
Oh, I see what you mean now. I can fix that, sorry for thinking you wanted a New Post button, not a New Posts one!

There's no way for me to reenable that without removing other things on the bar
You could always remove the post counter thing, because seriously...who needs that? It's the oddest feature I think I ever saw in a web forum. :)

I also wouldn't mind at all if the entire lower grey bar was folded into the blue upper bar (it would save vertical space), and the search icon was made into a menu with a text field in it (that would save horizontal space). Then both a PC subforums menu and the new posts button could fit in there as well...

Also, is there the possibility to make it so that menus and such widgets don't drop down as soon as the mouse pointer touches them? I feel like I'm back on (ancient, terrible) MacOS System x.y... :D I prefer actively clicking on things I want to access, it's also much more consistent with how modern GUIs work.

It's not possible to merge the two bars as they stand, without development work at least. The post thingy could go, doubt anyone would miss it.

As for the hover activation, I've come to like that but I ultimately don't care. Basically, more feedback needed: I'm reasonably wary of making changes to long-standing behaviours at a single user's request, even if I agree.

One thing I'm not liking is how in the mobile version of the site, when you click on the menu button at the top, the menu that pops out on the left defaults to the sub menu specific to the forum you're in rather than to the top level 'forums' sub menu which contains the watched threads and new posts links. Maybe its just me that navigates using those links but the extra button press slows down navigation on my phone.

On phones I highly recommend Tapatalk as your client. It has its own quirks, but it's generally nice and fast as a way to keep up with the threads you're part of. Would recommend trying it at least.

Sorry you guys are stuck with me as the developer for changes the software can't do by itself. I know I take ages to get round to certain things.

Everything looks good except I see you forgot to delete the console forums. Will I have to wait another decade for this to be fixed?
So I tried deleting them just know and the strangest thing happened. I was teleported to a world where there was this weird mashup of the Super Mario World and Sonic The Hedgehog themes playing. I walked around for a while until I saw Naoto Ohshima and Shigeru Miyamoto sat playing SNES together. I asked theme where I was and they said heaven. Sounded legit, so I explained to them about trying to delete the console forums and they just shook their heads in abject sadness. At that point I understood.

You see, your hearts are only tinged with hate at the console forums because you spent more on your stupid GPU than the cost of an entire console. You mock their constant updates, but then you sit and watch GeForce Experience fail to update your driver just because some shitty console port was released, leaving you without a visible desktop and the prospect of a full reinstall (happened to me last week). You laugh at PSN being down, but then you go and spend $105 in the Steam sales on games you'll never even even play.

Miyamoto-san and Ohshima-san cautioned me that the path to enlightenment was to foster the best way to currently play games, and to lobby the weird PC people to improve their shitty experience. Otherwise they'd send Don Mattrick to sit and talk to me about his time in the industry and ain't nobody got time for that.

Last edited:
on mobile and desktop. the new post is hidden behind that forum button

It just drops down for me after around a second or less of hovering.

New%20Post.jpg

Back