Project Cars [PS4, XO]

It seems like with Windows 10, AMD is back in the game. This Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10 comparison shows how much better the framerates of Project Cars are when running in Windows 10, using DirectX 11 both in Windows 8 and Windows 10. Better AMD drivers?

From his comment below the video:

Identical settings, drivers, etc. ONLY difference is the OS, W8.1 vs W10 Driver version used: 15.200.1018.1 (1st April 2015)

So improvements are purely from W10.

Well, it seems that they listened to you and others.

On a different note, some more reviews:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/11/project-cars-game-review/

http://cramgaming.com/project-cars-is-the-best-racing-game-on-ps4xbox-one-24572/

The game has been a sales success, especially on consoles (I watch videos of friends playing it via Xbox clips in your friends list and it makes you want the game):

https://www.product-reviews.net/2015/05/12/project-cars-sales-success-on-ps4-vs-xbox-one-pc/

Which, my friends, is why grumbling is good! And why we allow people to complain about games instead of excusing issues. Sometimes the complaints can't be addressed or won't be addressed, but sometimes they lead to improvements, like the National Trust.

Power to the people!

I was among the "vocal minority" that grumbled. I was surprised to be in the minority on this one, I'd imagine everybody and their distant cousins would complain about it. It turns out it's not even noticable for most.
Still, not noticable for most shouldn't be enough for devs to call it a day. For example, when editing a movie, I'm sure they are spending a lot of time doing color grading, both to reflect the mood of the scene and feeling of continuity between cuts. Most wouldn't notice if they do a bad job with color grading, but it's still so much important for the product to shine.

Made a shader (hint: modified an existing motion blur shader :D) on shadertoy.com to display the effects of motion at 60fps with plain, frameblended and motion blurred versions, and 30fps). I'll share the link here when I get back home and test it, computer I'm on only displays it at 5fps :)

I was among the "vocal minority" that grumbled. I was surprised to be in the minority on this one, I'd imagine everybody and their distant cousins would complain about it. It turns out it's not even noticable for most.
Still, not noticable for most shouldn't be enough for devs to call it a day. For example, when editing a movie, I'm sure they are spending a lot of time doing color grading, both to reflect the mood of the scene and feeling of continuity between cuts. Most wouldn't notice if they do a bad job with color grading, but it's still so much important for the product to shine.

Made a shader (hint: modified an existing motion blur shader :D) on shadertoy.com to display the effects of motion at 60fps with plain, frameblended and motion blurred versions, and 30fps). I'll share the link here when I get back home and test it, computer I'm on only displays it at 5fps :)

It should be interesting to contact Sony on this issue, I don't know but I wouldn't be happy as platform owner if Share function is producing something like this:
iblEcMgWaQbkhi.jpg

iIxKw5BsXQgyT.jpg

Not to mention people are getting sick after playing this game.

It should be interesting to contact Sony on this issue, I don't know but I wouldn't be happy as platform owner if Share function is producing something like this:
iblEcMgWaQbkhi.jpg

iIxKw5BsXQgyT.jpg

Not to mention people are getting sick after playing this game.
Did you capture those screens?

As for getting sick, it happens to me when I play Far Cry 4, but that's a 30 fps game. The framerate is stable but I got used to 60 fps and when I rotate the camera around I just see a slide parade, lots of framerate transitions in between. I might stop playing the game because of that, I feel weird when I play FC4.

A new Project Cars review:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...etailed-simulation-virtual-gearheads-deserve/

To quote:

On a solid, modern PC,Project CARS' lighting, car geometry, and light-shadow play absolutely smack the stuffing out of current-gen console tech leader Driveclub, and PC gamers also get the benefit of built-in support for dozens of wheel-and-pedal rigs (even the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel from the '90s!).

I can't believe this game supports my old Sidewinder Wheel (and presumably pedals) from the 90's which I haven't taken out of the cupboard for about 10 years! That's completely awesome and seemingly demonstrates that fate wants me to buy this game. However... I'm still going to hold off until Oculus launches (which this game supposedly has good support for) at which point I will likely also invest in a beastly Pascal based GPU upgrade and then I will sit back and enjoy what will undoubtedly be a completely unrivaled driving simulation experience!

This is the first time I've heard anyone claim it's better graphically than DriveClub. It's a good game/simulation though, and I'm glad it is selling well so that they get the opportunity to keep improving it. I just wish the handling was a bit better still (I actually think DriveClub has better handling!), but it's a good start.

This is the first time I've heard anyone claim it's better graphically than DriveClub. It's a good game/simulation though, and I'm glad it is selling well so that they get the opportunity to keep improving it. I just wish the handling was a bit better still (I actually think DriveClub has better handling!), but it's a good start.

Light, cloud simulation and weather are better in Drive Club...

Light, cloud simulation and weather are better in Drive Club...

DSOG agrees on the weather but seemingly not the rest. Although they are comparing to the PC version:

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/project-cars-pc-performance-analysis/

Graphics wise, Project CARS looks stunning. This is by far one of the – if not THE – best looking racing games to date. And since most of you will be wondering; no. Project CARS’ rain effects are no match for Driveclub’s spectacular rain effects. But then again that’s the only area in which Driveclub prevails. Project CARS packs incredible car models (on Ultra details each car is made of 200-300K triangles), sports detailed deformation and destruction systems, has an amazing lighting system, and most of the stages are packed with high resolution textures.

I disagree about the lighting too, the environment by some distance, even the car details I am not that sure. Have both, and Project Cars on 970, but hmm. Will do some more detailed comparison and probably not bother this thread with them. ;)

I disagree about the lighting too, the environment by some distance, even the car details I am not that sure. Have both, and Project Cars on 970, but hmm. Will do some more detailed comparison and probably not bother this thread with them. ;)

Car in Drive Club are around 250k but in Project Cars 44 cars against 12 cars max in Drive Club...

From what I have seen of Project Cars on PC, I think lightning , cloud and weather effect are better on Drive Club...

All other part are probably better in Project Cars and at 60 frame per second with a good gaming PC.

Edit: not sure about environment too, many details on Drive Club track. Often real life track are bland...

Last edited:
Well, ignoring the temporal aspect, there is something that Project Cars does much better than Driveclub, it's the Antialiasing: EQAA (Driveclub uses a very light FXAA).

I am still impressed that they use such a method in a 60fps game. I am really interested in how much GPU time EQAA costs them because it's a really clean and non-blurring solution, easily comparable with 4xMSAA in my book. I can't wait to see the game in motion when they'll get rid of the ghosting.

Car in Drive Club are around 250k but in Project Cars 44 cars against 12 cars max in Drive Club...

According to DF the cars in Project Cars top out at around 60k on consoles but range between 200-300k on PC at highest settings - so comparable to Driveclub there at least.

Probably not one for this thread but it's presumably possible to compare both on the same tracks with the same vehicles at the same point and at the same time of day/weather so it should make for some pretty accurate and interesting comparisons.

Back