"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Yes, especially the first nose with the extreme hard transition in tri-count along the edge. It has sub-pixel triangle sizes. Smoother shading in front areas is done with normal maps. Only silhuettes need geometry, maybe the nose-shadow had to be fixed last minute? In any case, way too much detail for the noses, ears are more complex, and they have much less triangles.

UE4 Elemental demo

Lava Knight - 40,016 polygons
0Jpb.png

Ice Giant - 28,026 polygons.
2Jpb.png

That depends on whether the models above are from the cutscenes or the in-game parts of the PS3 version. It wasn't specified.
I assumed (naughty I know) that they are in game poly counts as they seem in the right ballpark relative to other numbers thrown out in this thread.

Corrinne Yu had an interesting discussion regarding polygon numbers, which puts models into context against other games on current gen (Ryse: 85k, Second Son: 120k, The Order: 100k) and was asked specifically about Uncharted 4 models compared to TLoU:Remastered but wouldn't be drawn to comment.

The users that extracted the meshes expressed the extraction came from the PS3 version. PS4 also uses a newer format encryption, Same with XB1, neither formats are accessible at the moment and wont be for possibly a long while. with that being said these models most likely are of the cut scene versions, it was all i can obtain. some better pictures with textures applied.

8tip7iukqz3o3m4zg.jpg

qw0a3amjhfuh7hozg.jpg

99q7tkgjjcbvafazg.jpg

5qevvee98ihv6pazg.jpg

Looking at those faces especially, I'd be surprised if those are in-game models in the PS3 version.

The faces are that dense in order to get nicer deformations with extreme expressions.
The mesh has to accommodate not only the base shape but all the distortions and there it helps a lot to have more polygons.

Drake is even more detailed in UC4.

Ha... at least ND announced some while ago that they don't want to use fmvs for U4 cutscenes, which I highly approve of... hopefully dirt etc. carries over from gameplay to cutscene like it does in GTA or Dragon Age

Ha... at least ND announced some while ago that they don't want to use fmvs for U4 cutscenes, which I highly approve of... hopefully dirt etc. carries over from gameplay to cutscene like it does in GTA or Dragon Age

Same in GTA V where the characters sport the clothes you put them in and sport injuries from there scene earlier. I always felt that Uncharted and The Last of Us was partly using video to disguise loading times and partly because there just wasn't enough RAM to hold of the assets for the cutscene as well as for the next section of game. This is likely less of an issue with PS4. At least for now.

The issue with this gen is BD capacity. High-res assets take up all space so there is no space for movies.
Most games this gen will not have prerendered movies.

The issue with this gen is BD capacity. High-res assets take up all space so there is no space for movies.

I have many PC games with higher quality assets than are typically found in PS4 games and which are smaller than many PS4 games.

There's more to it than this.

I think we're just seeing less optimization, because there's no real need, yet. Not that games will become smaller over time, but better allocation of space. Just look at what takes up space in say Titanfall... on PC... half the data was uncompressed voices for several languages.

Drake is even more detailed in UC4.

By how much that is the million dollar question.

UC4
24jb.png

The Last Of Us
iPqb.png

UC3
Drake-close-up-wireframe1.jpg

Excluding the faces, their body meshes seem pretty close in density. 20k increase for the whole mesh maybe, at 60-65k.

Why would the cut-scene models even be on the disc in the first place. The cut-scenes are all movies.

Well the models are legit. Metal gear rising had high resolution assets left on the disc too, same circumstance i guess.

Most games this gen will not have prerendered movies.

Ryse kinda contradicts this, really good assets and a heap of movies too. my guess is, developers may end up compressing movies if necessary in spite of larger assets. we already know FFXV is going to be both in-game and use movies too. I'm not sure though where FFXV stands on file size once it's completed.

Last edited:
Ryse kinda contradicts this, really good assets and a heap of movies too. my guess is, developers may end up compressing movies if necessary in spite of larger assets. we already know FFXV is going to be both in-game and use movies too. I'm not sure though where FFXV stands on file size once it's completed.
Ryse is short and corridorish.

Back