Who 'won' E4 2014? *spawn

Where should we put the comparison comments? Because I watched the MS conference (except I did fast forward through the fifteen hours of CoD gameplay), and I haven't watched the Sony conference.

But just from what I've seen in the after action reports, it looks like Sony really won the day.

A remastered LofU compares to a remastered Halo Collection, Sony gets the exclusive Destiny content and reveal and white PS4, MS gets some exclusive content in CoD, both demonstrate games I couldn't care less about but fanboys do - such as whatever MS exclusives they released and LBP3 for the PS4.

It seems to me that they traded blows but that Sony got more reveals in terms of GTAV and Dead Island2 and a Destiny bundle with a white PS4, etc..

Neither really showed anything that got me excited (except for the knowledge that there will be another Crackdown), but it seems like Sony got the best reveals for multi-plat games. Then again, I suppose you could stack up a number of multi-plat games and they wouldn't be able to counter CoD and MS got that reveal.

Ehh.. I think Sony did the best. But, I do have one question - Has anybody actually made good use of the touchpad that is scotch-taped into the middle of the dual shock? Or is it just a gimmick like Move, Kinect, WiiUblet, sixaxis, etc?

In comparison to the other major press conference, I'll have to rate MS's a perfect 10.

Can you elaborate? I read the Sony thread (didn't watch the conference) and it seems like there were many complaints about too many suits, too much non-gaming stuff (HA!), and too much "dead air time" that could have been streamlined.

But when I look at the cliffnotes versions of both press conferences, it seems that Sony sure has more "bullet points" in their favor than MS.

Can you elaborate? I read the Sony thread (didn't watch the conference) and it seems like there were many complaints about too many suits, too much non-gaming stuff (HA!), and too much "dead air time" that could have been streamlined.

But when I look at the cliffnotes versions of both press conferences, it seems that Sony sure has more "bullet points" in their favor than MS.

Dunno what bullet points .

MS seems to have a better exclusive line up for the fall while sony will have gakki ?

That's really what it will come down to the rest is all multiplatform stuff

Dunno what bullet points .

I think Sony got kudos for the reveal of GTA V and showing Arkham Knight gameplay - which is unfair as they're multi platform but I guess the excitement felt is attributed to the place you're at. They also showed more Destiny. No Man's Sky got quite a reaction too.

MS seems to have a better exclusive line up for the fall while sony will have gakki ?

Like last year, Fall will be filled by third party multi-platform titles (Alien Isolation, Shadows or Mordor, Dragon Age, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Crew, Far Cry 4). If you're looking at exclusives it depends on your particular preferences. Microsoft have Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive and Sony have DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3.

If you're looking at exclusives it depends on your particular preferences. Microsoft have Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive and Sony have DriveClub and LittleBigPlanet 3.

You're forgetting Halo: Master Chief Collection. :cool:

True, if your including remasters then throw in GTA V, The Last of Us etc. I guess they'll be new for some folk.

Where should we put the comparison comments? Because I watched the MS conference (except I did fast forward through the fifteen hours of CoD gameplay), and I haven't watched the Sony conference.

But just from what I've seen in the after action reports, it looks like Sony really won the day.

A remastered LofU compares to a remastered Halo Collection, Sony gets the exclusive Destiny content and reveal and white PS4, MS gets some exclusive content in CoD, both demonstrate games I couldn't care less about but fanboys do - such as whatever MS exclusives they released and LBP3 for the PS4.

It seems to me that they traded blows but that Sony got more reveals in terms of GTAV and Dead Island2 and a Destiny bundle with a white PS4, etc..

Neither really showed anything that got me excited (except for the knowledge that there will be another Crackdown), but it seems like Sony got the best reveals for multi-plat games. Then again, I suppose you could stack up a number of multi-plat games and they wouldn't be able to counter CoD and MS got that reveal.

Ehh.. I think Sony did the best. But, I do have one question - Has anybody actually made good use of the touchpad that is scotch-taped into the middle of the dual shock? Or is it just a gimmick like Move, Kinect, WiiUblet, sixaxis, etc?

On balance you have to give MS credit, they prepared perfectly for the media coverage and commentary that would be coming out of E3 10 out of 10. By addressing the cost and paywall prior the XB1 was able to focus on games at the show so all the talk now is about games not all the mistakes from last year.

In terms of actual games pretty much a draw IMO, Sony first parties didn't show much and MS was kinda light there too.

To your point about whatever advantage Sony might have in terms of superior 3rd party versions of games(real or otherwise) it is somewhat dampened by the fact that in many cases MS will be getting DLC first.

Add in Sony's misteps due to 30 to 40 minutes of services and IMO Sony let MS off easy. Because I was thinking to myself around the time Sony's conference was wrapping up with Bloodborne reveal that it was going to a great conference. Even the reaction in the crowd was genuine and energetic.

Then Adam came on and wobbled a bit but rebounded with Grimfandango and No Man's Sky which got me thinking wow they're killing it again. Then Shawn came on and they lost all the energy they had bc I was thinking by the end of Shawns segment that they still don't get it, they've managed to put themselves back on top but they really haven't the focus or discipline to stay there. Not that everything Shawn did was bad but how do you announce Youtube and not say anything about MP3 support? The description of powers could have been better written by a 2nd grader, it was just a mess. Another thing its amazing to me that Sony is investing so much in PS Now but was too timid to reveal much in way of details....

If they had cut that segment out and gone straight to GTA, ND and Metal Gear they would have killed it. But alas Sony is Sony and MS still knows how to compete, in the end gamers win due to competition.

If there is one thing last years E3 made plain is that if you can clearly communicate what you are doing you really don't have a good idea that the public will embrace. How Sony misses that so soon after being clear did so much is baffling to me....

edit:

I like the touchpad, it works quite for some things

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess they'll be new for some folk.
Much of what people have been making real noise over is the stuff that isn't just "new for some folk." Availability of online CE and 2 MP on console is a huge deal (yes, there are PC versions of those things, but those are M&K PC shooters, and Halo 2 Vista is incredibly easy to hate anyway). The package also includes all-new story content and a reimagined audio/visual layer for Halo 2.

Don't underestimate Halo MCC. It's probably the biggest bomba Microsoft had in their pocket on Monday. It's the weapon they're relying on to get the disgruntled old Halo fanbase off the fence.

I must say that I was surprised by Nintendo. The secured some exclusived that I never saw possible considering their craptastic sales. The showing was strong

Even bigger than that is Project Spark, IMO. The argument could be made that it's on PC as well, but if you want to play it in your living room, most people don't have a PC in their living room. :p

Well maybe not bigger than Halo: MCC. You can never underestimate Halo, especially when you bring out something that contains the gameplay of the originals that fans hold near and dear to their heart. But Project Spark certainly has wider appeal to a larger demographic.

Regards,
SB

I read somewhere that MS fired every E3 scriptwriter that used the word "Kinect" or "Television". The presenters even had mental training rendering them unable to use those words. Backstage an interviewer asked Phil Spencer: "Which product in this room is made by Pioneer", to which Phil replied: "It's over there, it's the t- ...te---- teev- " and then he went into a short seizure.

It shows me that they lack vision, and are very afraid of the future/losing their jobs.
They only dared to show videogames. They act as if kinect never existed. That's why they lost for me. It's really easy to show a few games/ trailers and call it a day.

Sony had it's own faults though: LBP, again? Is this 2007? It still looked like the characters were floating. If they addressed that then I am sure the game would play like a killer platformer..
The presentation about the superhero Tv series, was boring as well. Just have the creator say a few lines (1 minute at the max) and then show an interesting teaser. Done.

I read somewhere that MS fired every E3 scriptwriter that used the word "Kinect" or "Television". The presenters even had mental training rendering them unable to use those words. Backstage an interviewer asked Phil Spencer: "Which product in this room is made by Pioneer", to which Phil replied: "It's over there, it's the t- ...te---- teev- " and then he went into a short seizure.

Ummm, yeah... I don't know how to respond to that. To think that there's actually people that believe stuff like that. :D

Somehow, the presenter at the MS conference escaped the "brainwashing" enough to mention Kinect during the conference. Hard to resist using roll eyes here. :p

Regards,
SB

Ummm, yeah... I don't know how to respond to that. To think that there's actually people that believe stuff like that. :D

Somehow, the presenter at the MS conference escaped the "brainwashing" enough to mention Kinect during the conference. Hard to resist using roll eyes here. :p

Regards,
SB

lol, I added to 'seizure'-part with the hope to make sure everybody knew that it never could have happened and this should be read in a comedic way.
A serious way would be: "they really did their best to avoid mentioning functionality of what the entire product was designed around".

They should have went all the way in this case, and celebrate the 399 Xbox One version.
Here is what they could have said:

"To celebrate gamers all over the world, we are announcing the 399 dollar core version. it will come with 3 months of Xbox live, and what better way to experience live, then to play the arguably best next generation multiplayer experience available? Yes that's right, Every new Xbox One core-model will come with Titanfall: First Encounter. Which is the core of the game. You can play against Bots or with friends on 2 amazing maps, and if you want more, you can upgrade to the complete edition!
Xbox One Core edition. Available starting today!!"
*big applause*

edit: they really should have went with a 379 dollar price tag. It feels more cheaper and consumer friendly

I must say that I was surprised by Nintendo. The secured some exclusived that I never saw possible considering their craptastic sales. The showing was strong
Yep; Nintendo had the most impressive showing.
Sony's was good but not enough games that I like.

Add in Sony's misteps due to 30 to 40 minutes of services and IMO Sony let MS off easy. Because I was thinking to myself around the time Sony's conference was wrapping up with Bloodborne reveal that it was going to a great conference. Even the reaction in the crowd was genuine and energetic.

30 to 40 minutes? You know how gamers hate being called out on their short attention spans? But then they inflate a 15 minute pause in the action to something 2-3 times that and act as though it invalidates an hour and 45 minutes of games?

My impressions from what I've seen are that Microsoft were much better organised, they knew their target audience better - people were there to see games. They didn't include too much fluff or suits.

Sony definitely had too many suits, the guy that came out to talk about free-to-play (etc.) was a real low point for me. It didn't capture the audience, it seemed like people were applauding out of necessity rather than enjoyment.

I saw more games that I'd want to play shown at the Sony conference - I understand I may be a little biased with that.

Do we have a list of games shown at each? I think that'd be an interesting thing to review. At the moment, I'm only going from general 'feeling'.

Surprise surprise, I liked MS conference best. It was wall to wall games, the presenters seemed pretty good and comfortable, Phil Spencer is easygoing and casual, probably the best presenters for MS maybe ever, and the third party games showed basically matched Sony's (Trade COD AW and AC Unity for Far Cry 4 and Batman, or what have you, basically even. It seems like the big third party franchises might as well just draw straws for who shows what anymore). I though AW looked really good so that helped. They only showed a couple high production value "indies" (Ori and Inside) and those two looked really great, exactly the niche and spot I feel like indies should fill on consoles. Best of the indies, so to speak, without becoming the main course. I feel like they just had more 1st party games too, at least for 2014, maybe overall. Plus, MCC was one of my games of show/most interested (even though dont get me wrong, I dont consider it near a real new game like Halo 5 in personal hype), so that helped. Although it's sad they still have showed very little MCC gameplay, maybe that's later in the week? There wasn't too much Kinect, if any, which usually makes for a boring/awkward show portion. Fable Legends also looked pretty nice. The Division looked great as well, though arguable how much it has to do with MS like all third party games, it did help make the show better for me.

On the downside for MS, there were no megatons (hardware, price, or software). Nothing mind blowing at all. No rumored formerly multiplatform third party exclusive. Very expected stuff.

Sony was just presented worse I feel like, several of the suits seemed stiff and corporate, except for Boyes who is very likable. The indies stuff was too much and it seemed too small scale to appeal to me. And there was a TV segment. I only watched parts of Sony's show though. On content though Sony's conference was probably comparable to MS. At least for third party. But, I cant rate the show too high for reasons of expectations. A great Sony show would have featured UC4 gameplay that blew everybody away. Instead we got some sort of extremely short non-gameplay trailer that basically told me nothing at all. Too be fair, I dont think 2015 games are necessarily in showable form. A great Sony show would have featured one or more big unannounced, super graphics, fall 2014 games to fill out their imo rather weak rest of 2014 (spare me your "but there's 1000 indies!" rant, not my cup of tea). Instead we just got LBP to add to Drive Club. As they said on Cannata's podcast, could you really tell LBP 3 was running on PS4 instead of PS3? Now, if you're that niche guy that loves LBP, like maybe Halo is to me, maybe it made your show. I'm just speaking for myself. To end E3 with a fall 14 lineup of DC and LBP3 felt weak to me. And Project Morpheus really didn't show either, though it'll be difficult to show anyway. I imagine on checkboxes of a an ideal Sony blowout E3 2014 you'd have to include a great Morpheus showing and it didn't happen.

Nintendo's thing? did not watch. It seemed a success based on expectations, I guess. As always you'll get your share of hipsters declaring Nintendo won E3. Just me personally stopped caring about Nintendo except as an observer years ago. But based on Nintendo expectations, seemed to meet or exceed them as far as I've noticed.

Back