Freeing up the Kinect Reservation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starx

Regular
Microsoft: Dropping Kinect could free up extra processing power in Xbox One

Microsoft: Dropping Kinect could free up extra processing power in Xbox One | Polygon

Kinect Cut Could Lead To Two Interesting Xbox One Developments

"removal of the Kinect as an automatic part of every Xbox One set-up could also lead to a reallocation of the console's processing power."

"Parts of a console's muscle are always spent on system-level processes like, say, achievement-tracking or party chat. Some amount of Xbox One power has also been reserved for Kinect. Spencer acknowledged that game developers would like some of that power and that a Kinect-less Xbox One might have it to spare

http://kotaku.com/kinect-cut-could-lead-to-two-interesting-xbox-one-devel-1575767624

Microsoft: Dropping Kinect could free up extra processing power in Xbox One | Polygon

http://kotaku.com/kinect-cut-could-lead-to-two-interesting-xbox-one-devel-1575767624

That'd be a real kick in the nuts for all the current owners. I doubt they'd ever be able to completely remove that functionality. It's not like the device is going anywhere.

"removal of the Kinect as an automatic part of every Xbox One set-up could also lead to a reallocation of the console's processing power."

"Parts of a console's muscle are always spent on system-level processes like, say, achievement-tracking or party chat. Some amount of Xbox One power has also been reserved for Kinect. Spencer acknowledged that game developers would like some of that power and that a Kinect-less Xbox One might have it to spare

http://kotaku.com/kinect-cut-could-lead-to-two-interesting-xbox-one-devel-1575767624[/QUOTE]

So, if i buy a kinect and connect it to my Xbox one, then my resolution and framerate goes down? Sounds weird, almost like they are killing it completely..

Very odd question , I think you should read the source utterly.
Until now, always some of the resources of system was stored for processing voice commands , but from now these resources will be available for other tasks.

So you explain this to me, how are they going to keep the kinect functionality if they don't reserve the needed processor power..

Some games just disable it? People without a kinect benefit from more power, how?
Sounds like we need more details on this.. because right now it does not make sense

So, if i buy a kinect and connect it to my Xbox one, then my resolution and framerate goes down? Sounds weird, almost like they are killing it completely..

More likely some games can declare in the manifest that never ever even under torture they will use a kinect because it stinks
In that case the system can freeup some resources

So you explain this to me, how are they going to keep the kinect functionality if they don't reserve the needed processor power..

Some games just disable it? People without a kinect benefit from more power, how?
Sounds like we need more details on this.. because right now it does not make sense

Just like Xbox 360 , the only game that will use kinect.

Please read this:

"We have special processors for Kinect that enables a bunch of really cool things like part of what you saw today, when Yusuf was like in Internet Explorer and said 'Go to home' or 'Go to ESPN'," Kilgore said at the time. "He also said 'Go to Halo' and when he was in Halo he could have gone somewhere else. So the system is always listening, kind of outside of the game, which is really different from the 360 model, once you get into the game, it's really only the game code that is running. So we can extend all that in our system versus it being tied up in the game code."

My understanding is that voice control and skeletal tracking (up to 8 people) are always running. I can see them freeing up the skeletal tracking when your game is running full screen unless your game is going to use it. Voice control would be stupid to turn off at any point. I doubt you'd free up a lot by disabling voice control anyway. You might free up some of the audio processor, but I don't think that'd be a huge win for general performance.

Might as well get rid of the infrared emitters in the XB1 controller too. Who cares if XB1 can't figure out which player you are. </sarcasm>

Tommy McClain

Might as well get rid of the infrared emitters in the XB1 controller too. Who cares if XB1 can't figure out which player you are. </sarcasm>

Tommy McClain

I forgot about that feature. THat's definitely relying on the skeletal tracking. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

i still dont see how this helps. there is specialized hardware so commands arent running on the cpu. the system reserve is till gonna be roughly the same size... or its without the voice commands there are several hundred megabytes reclaimed?

I dont think processing power goes up or the dedicated units get reallocated.

It's simples. Without Kinect you get 1080p60fps. With Kinect, you get 900p30fps, maximum.

The console's architecture gives the game operating system a fixed reservation of CPU power and the same is true for Kinect, he said.
"We have special processors for Kinect that enables a bunch of really cool things like part of what you saw today, when Yusuf was like in Internet Explorer and said 'Go to home' or 'Go to ESPN'," Kilgore said at the time. "He also said 'Go to Halo' and when he was in Halo he could have gone somewhere else. So the system is always listening, kind of outside of the game, which is really different from the 360 model, once you get into the game, it's really only the game code that is running. So we can extend all that in our system versus it being tied up in the game code."

But Mehdi said that could change now.
"We are in discussions with our game publishers about what we might do in this space and we will have more to talk about soon," he said.

Perhaps a mean to lower the OS portion into bring up the dashboard with the guide button, like the 360, if publishers choose to do so...? I mean it worked well for 360.

i still dont see how this helps. there is specialized hardware so commands arent running on the cpu. the system reserve is till gonna be roughly the same size... or its without the voice commands there are several hundred megabytes reclaimed?

Because the VMs see virtualized hardware, you can actually dynamically scale the real hardware resources that are allocated to them. There's a specific chart I'm looking for but can't find. It showed how much hardware was dedicated to the "Game" VM in a number of different states. It's possible they could reduce the resources for the "System" VM and pass them on to the "Game" VM, dynamically adjusting how many resources are available to each depending on which is full-screened/active and whether the game is using certain Kinect features of not.

The problem I'm having is understanding what features they could actually turn off without screwing up the way the OS works.

i looked this up further and basically they say that Kinect (as opposed to system i guess :shrug: )
has a 10 percent GPU reserve as opposed to CPU reserve... and thats what would get freed up with disconnecting Kinect... so you get 130 Mflops back

Didn't they already free 8% (from the 10%) of the GPU in the previous month(s)?

They already announced this patch on january. I really expected it was already applied today.

Didn't they already free 8% (from the 10%) of the GPU in the previous month(s)?

They already announced this patch on january. I really expected it was already applied today.

They didn't. It was rumoured and it was assumed that when the patch notes came in and indicated there was a significant performance boost attributing to the release of Kinect resources.

This was not the case as per interviews with developers for recently released games notably Titanfall.

Just like Xbox 360 , the only game that will use kinect.

Please read this:

YES, and the main features and selling points was the ability to talk to the console, record that, snap this snap that. So they are butchering the actual reason they included the kinect to begin with. And making it a pure gaming add on again.

Might as well drop all the vm tech they added as well and let's get to the metal.

YES, and the main features and selling points was the ability to talk to the console, record that, snap this snap that. So they are butchering the actual reason they included the kinect to begin with. And making it a pure gaming add on again.

Might as well drop all the vm tech they added as well and let's get to the metal.

Hadnt thought about that... but i guess they still want controller based live switching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back