Effects of next gen consoles on you to buy a new HDTV?

It's funny if and when the VR head sets with a huge FOV starts to become popular and then reading about your ( in plural) "720p is enough" and "putting your nose to the screen" commentsad of the blurry mess that it used to be with 2K digital projectors.

I thought the topic was about tvs. Besides, whether VR head sets become popular or not, now that's a pretty big if. Most people already hate the stupid 3d glasses. What makes you think they wanna wear a face harness over extended periods of time?

I thought the topic was about tvs. Besides, whether VR head sets become popular or not, now that's a pretty big if. Most people already hate the stupid 3d glasses. What makes you think they wanna wear a face harness over extended periods of time?

People have been very receptive to the Oculus Rift even with the low resolution dev-model and besides VR head sets was just an example to drive the point home that people like big screens, whether it's going to a movie theater or building a home theater/gaming setup. Increase in resolution will greatly help there by allowing one to experience a larger FOV picture. People don't go to a theater to pretend to be impressed about the picture, they go there to be impressed period by the audiovisual experience.

It doesn't matter if it's a TV or whatever form, whether you sit 10 meters away from a huge theater screen, 1.5 meters away from a 65" 4K screen or have a tiny screen right in front of your eyes. Resolution improvement in relation to the screen size will make a large difference.

Sure it won't make a large difference in those typical room scenarios, but you don't downplay some sport car's track performance by saying that a Toyota Corolla sucks at it. The experience is totally different in both cases.

That's why I specifically said a 4K display is pointless at typical living room viewing distances (even if the tv is massive). If you have the space and the money, then by all means go for it.

As for the Rift: a couple of internet enthusiasts isn't the general public. And even though friends and family have been rather taken by a couple of short-ish tech demos, who's gonna wear that thing for hundreds of hours when the next Elder Scrolls game comes out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also referring to the discussion going on in the Digital Foundry thread and in other threads, but mostly I was rubbed the wrong way by the line about people putting nose close to screen and having to pretend to be impressed as that read to me like there would be no real reason to be impressed even in a large FOV situation when I personally feel very differently about that.

4K TV's should come down in price next year by quite a lot I reckon and 2 high end video cards should be able to run it adequately. I would not be surprised if I in fact have to make such a setup a reality, however if the consumer version of Oculus Rift or some other gadget bring a great experience while being much cheaper, then I have to think about this quite a bit.

Pretty sure I did. Massive thing too. Does it matter though? I sit not particularly far away from a 50 inch 1080p plasma (somewhere between 2 meters to 2.5 meters probably), still have nearly 20:20 vision, and I cannot see individual pixels. Movies look perfect. I can spot aliasing in games of course (including games running at native res), but that's not the same thing. It's also not gonna go away on a 4K tv unless games start using that resolution, and the next gen consoles most definitely won't.

4K TV's should come down in price next year by quite a lot I reckon and 2 high end video cards should be able to run it adequately.

But this thread is about consoles affecting hdtv purchases. If you bring enthusiast gaming PCs into the fray then of course the sky's the limit. It always is.

I was also referring to the discussion going on in the Digital Foundry thread and in other threads, but mostly I was rubbed the wrong way by the line about people putting nose close to screen and having to pretend to be impressed as that read to me like there would be no real reason to be impressed even in a large FOV situation when I personally feel very differently about that.

4K TV's should come down in price next year by quite a lot I reckon and 2 high end video cards should be able to run it adequately. I would not be surprised if I in fact have to make such a setup a reality, however if the consumer version of Oculus Rift or some other gadget bring a great experience while being much cheaper, then I have to think about this quite a bit.

As a pc gamer I rather have more smaller monitors. Getting more of the game world is a lot more interesting to me than more pixels.

I'm running 3 24 inch monitors at 1920x1080p . I wouldn't go back to a single 4k monitor at this point unless the aspect ratio also changed

But this thread is about consoles affecting hdtv purchases. If you bring enthusiast gaming PCs into the fray then of course the sky's the limit. It always is.

Well 4K TV's and consoles in general won't have much to do with each other, other than perhaps movies at some point in time. PC-gaming affecting TV purchases is close enough imo. Besides PC is the true next gen console :devilish:

As a pc gamer I rather have more smaller monitors. Getting more of the game world is a lot more interesting to me than more pixels.

I'm running 3 24 inch monitors at 1920x1080p . I wouldn't go back to a single 4k monitor at this point unless the aspect ratio also changed

Well you can often change the FOV settings and sitting close to a 65" 4K screen certainly doesn't limit too much on the possibilities of seeing plenty of the game world. Not that I'm downplaying 3 monitor setups, I personally just prefer one big screen.

Well you can often change the FOV settings and sitting close to a 65" 4K screen certainly doesn't limit too much on the possibilities of seeing plenty of the game world. Not that I'm downplaying 3 monitor setups, I personally just prefer one big screen.

I dunno

just depends on what you like. I'm on 3x1 right now

Here is a 5x1 portrait set up that is not reproducible on a 60 inch tv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHKqbNX4fs

and skyrim on the same set up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxp2Y_FISoI

watch this one on silent. Shows you the difference between one screen and 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNX96kQhlBk

When you make statements like these it would be nice if you back it up with some actual data.

Go on HDTV Test.
It's a UK site have been doing reviews with input lag measurements forever and are very reliable (use their input lag database)
The latest Philips LED 3D TV have 45ms of input lag..
Smaller models might be better but this LED TV form Sony has just 16ms of input lag and it's a better choice on that front.

Sorry for not posting the actual data sooner, I had to go out and didn't have time.
Sorry again.

I think I'll upgrade TV when I jump into next gen at the same time (within 2 years). Hopefully extremely good 1080p TVs are cheap by then or 4k TVs are reasonable in price.

I don't see need for 4k however.

That's why I specifically said a 4K display is pointless at typical living room viewing distances (even if the tv is massive).
The smaller the room, the more important resolution is. As TVs are fairly 2 dimensional, even a tiddly UK room can fit an 80+ inch screen. Viewed from a few feet (because the room is so small), the massive FOV is going to make high resolution important. The only time 4k isn't going to make an impact with a massive screen is when viewed from the other end of a large hall. The issue with 4k TVs not making an improvement over 1080p is when the screen isn't large enough relative to typical viewing distance.

As ever, it comes down to FOV. The whole discussion about resolution, as I've said before, should centre around FOV and angular resolution, and not viewing distance and 2D pixel counts. People shouldn't talk about TV size and resolution. They shouldn't say, "I'm looking to get a 46 inch 4k TV". They should say, "I'm looking to get a 50 degree display at 7 feet viewing with a 1 arc-second resolution." Or rather, when they go shopping they should be saying, "I'm after a 30 to 35 degree FOV from a couple of metres viewing distance, and my eyesight's only so-so so I'll be okay with a 2 arcsecond resolution." That's the sane set of measures people should use, instead of these constant, backwards Cartesian conversions.

The smaller the room, the more important resolution is. As TVs are fairly 2 dimensional, even a tiddly UK room can fit an 80+ inch screen. Viewed from a few feet (because the room is so small), the massive FOV is going to make high resolution important. The only time 4k isn't going to make an impact with a massive screen is when viewed from the other end of a large hall. The issue with 4k TVs not making an improvement over 1080p is when the screen isn't large enough relative to typical viewing distance.

As ever, it comes down to FOV. The whole discussion about resolution, as I've said before, should centre around FOV and angular resolution, and not viewing distance and 2D pixel counts. People shouldn't talk about TV size and resolution. They shouldn't say, "I'm looking to get a 46 inch 4k TV". They should say, "I'm looking to get a 50 degree display at 7 feet viewing with a 1 arc-second resolution." Or rather, when they go shopping they should be saying, "I'm after a 30 to 35 degree FOV from a couple of metres viewing distance, and my eyesight's only so-so so I'll be okay with a 2 arcsecond resolution." That's the sane set of measures people should use, instead of these constant, backwards Cartesian conversions.

I am sitting 10ft away from the TV now, I am going from 50in 720p to 60-65in 1080p (at least) so I tihnk both bump in size and res will help?

Edit: by help, I meant help to enjoy next-gen games more.

Back